Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Italy v Bulgaria

• 09-09-2009 7:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

i thought i'd create a thread for this. if the mods see it as pointless do as you wish, but seen as this game will significantly affect Ireland prospects of automatic and playoff qualification, i assume people will be watching.

i'm predicting 2-2.

Italy Probable Starting XI (4-4-2):
    Buffon; Zambrotta, Chiellini, Cannavaro, Grosso; Pepe, Marchisio, De Rossi, Camoranesi; Gilardino, Iaquinta

Bulgaria Probable Starting XI (4-4-2): Ivankov; Kishishev, Milanov, Kotev, Manolev; Angelov, Yankov, S. Petrov, M. Petrov; Berbatov, Rangelov

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭ANTIFA!

3-0 Italy. But come on Bulgaria. Praying for a point. Gilardinho and Iaquinta as a partnership wouldn't strike fear into me if I was Milanov or Kotev.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

I'd love a draw but will take an Italy win as Bulgaria winning will make our last two games very tough.

Don't Bulgaria still have to go to Nicosia. Regardless of result I could definelty see Cyprus beating them.

I don't see this being a cracker by any means though. Hopefully Petrov and Berbatov can put on a performance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

1-1 with Berbatov scoring with a stunning run and hard work for a change :rolleyes:

Lets hope that a few 2nd placed teams have a few slip ups too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

1-1 with Berbatov scoring with a stunning run and hard work for a change :rolleyes:

Didn't see his goal and 3 assists against Montenegro then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭deise48

hoping for a result for bulgaria and croker will be rocking next month for the italian game lets hope we dont need a play off as there are a few so called big teams in there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

George Hamilton: Berbatov = "extraordinary goalscoring record - 42 goals with 7 caps!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,829 ✭✭✭Trampas

Is it me or does it sound like George is in a room and not in the stadium

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I'm trying to think what result would suit Ireland best. Are we still clinging onto hopes of winning the group even after seeing the "second string" team embarrass themselves last night. I would have thought a draw would be the favourable outcome, but the less points to Bulgaria the better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

I also see a 1 - 1 scoreline.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

wtf with the camera work! =/

Nice finish!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Nice goal 1-0 Grosso

• Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

1-1 draw all over it....

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

booo

Great finish from Grosso.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Best player on the pitch gets the opener. Savage player.

Bulgaria do look dangerous going forward, next goal is crucial

DirkVoodoo wrote: »
    I'm trying to think what result would suit Ireland best. Are we still clinging onto hopes of winning the group even after seeing the "second string" team embarrass themselves last night. I would have thought a draw would be the favourable outcome, but the less points to Bulgaria the better.

Surely a draw? Bulgaria picking up a point here will not effect our last two games as we would still need atleast a win to finish second. The same as if they lose (assuming they win their last two). But a draw offers us hope of topping the group. It's not a hard decision. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Bulgaria learn to defend lads!

• Advertisement

Voltwad wrote: »
    Bulgaria do look dangerous going forward, next goal is crucial

They seem reluctant to break in numbers however. Maybe the goal will change that.

Italy look good on the ball up to the final 3rd...

Bulgaria look horrible.

Shooting fail from Petrov there...

Berbatov is some whingy little b@llox, how Fergi picked him over Tevez is beyond me...

What an unbelievable save :eek:

"if you're a right back or a left midfield you have to go with your runners". Is that not a bit lopsided?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭Tyranax

And Buffon shows why he's regarded as highly as he is. What a save!

Time and time again Buffon saves the Azzurri.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

Great save from Buffon. Bulgaria are starting to come into it.

Hopefully Itlalians will be happy to sit on their lead and bulgaria can get a goal

whycliff wrote: »
    Berbatov is some whingy little b@llox, how Fergi picked him over Tevez is beyond me...

Tevez has whinged a million times more than Berbatov in the last 12 months to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

Because hes a far better player?

Fuhrer wrote: »
    Because hes a far better player?

Take it your a united fan then...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

Don't want to backseat mod but you should probably put spoiler tags around those scores.

Damn Iaquinta!!:mad:

Well thats the Bulgars finished. Second it is so.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Bulgaria are now surely dead and buried in this group.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Done & done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭dogpile

Now we can put to bed this nonsense of winning the group(with Whelan/Andrews in midfield? Lol)...playoffs it is and probably France or Russia, goodnight Vienna

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

dogpile wrote: »
    Now we can put to bed this nonsense of winning the group(with Whelan/Andrews in midfield? Lol)...playoffs it is and probably France or Russia, goodnight Vienna

Johannesburg actually ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

dogpile wrote: »
    You do know about Ray Houghton's goal against Italy :pac:

In all seriousness this is a strong performance so far from the Italians. Iaquinta could cause a few problems. Grosso is a world-class full-back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

Take it your a united fan then...

Or someone who can easily spot a superior player.

There's no easy teams in the play off's, maybe with exception of Northern Ireland, but Czech Republic are hot on their heals

Fuhrer wrote: »
    Or someone who can easily spot a superior player.

Yeah take it your a united fan...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 370 ✭✭ccosgrave

Am I correct in sayingthat Montenegro's lead against Cyprus is a good thing for us with regard to coming second-place?

Edit: Oh wait, no, it seems I am an idiot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,049 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Ah well.

Reality check for me. Thought we had the group won, and was dreaming of going all the way in the world cup, then winning the euro's 2 years later.

We've got second place but it be better if Montenegro had finished bottom. But barring a disaster it shouldn't matter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭Tyranax

Jesus, brutal stuff there from RTE, how long were they back for?!? A minute?

They couldn't show Bohs in the Champions League against Salzburg due to 'financial situation)but can ship Collins and Whelan off to Turin?:rolleyes:

Can see how Cyprus v Serbia mont would have any bearing on where we finish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 517 ✭✭✭lisbon_lions

what's the story with this fitness regieme rte have ronnie whelan on? stair master ron.

• Advertisement
Advertisement