Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Italy v Bulgaria

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 355 ✭✭vestanpance

whycliff wrote: »
    Can see how Cyprus v Serbia mont would have any bearing on where we finish

If Cyprus win it'll leave Mont. on same points as Georgia, ideally we want Mont. to finish bottom for when it comes to calculating the points for the 8 (of the 9) second place teams for the play-offs.

It's obviously no bearing on where we finish in the group though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

no it wont Georgia are on 3 and Mont are on 4...stil dont see how it matters. Group 9 only has 5 teams

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭Tyranax

Poor Ronnie sounded shagged out there! He must have a bit to cover from Peter to George.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

no it wont Georgia are on 3 and Mont are on 4...stil dont see how it matters. Group 9 only has 5 teams

For groups 1-8, your results against the bottom placed team are discarded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,049 ✭✭✭Unearthly

I think we are safe enough as far as not being the bottom runners up team.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

Yes cannavaro gone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 355 ✭✭vestanpance

If Cyprus had of won Mont would be on 3, it's over now so that's irrelevant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭ANTIFA!

Ahhhhh close by Bojinov.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

Can someone post up a link to the 2nd place teams table. Whats this about the bottom team results being discarded? Also how are the teams paired in the qualifiers is it just random out of the hat/seeded/or 1st v bottom 2nd v 2nd bottom etc...?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

joe123 wrote: »
    Can someone post up a link to the 2nd place teams table. Whats this about the bottom team results being discarded? Also how are the teams paired in the qualifiers is it just random out of the hat/seeded/or 1st v bottom 2nd v 2nd bottom etc...?

In all but group nine, because they have one less team, the points gained against the eventual last placed teams are discarded from the then second placed teams total.

The worst team are not in the play offs.

There is no seeding in the play offs.

Norway have finished 2nd in Group 9 on 10 points but that group has one less team so they finish on 10. Ireland have 16 points but our two wins against Georgia are wiped away which leaves us on 10 but with 2 games in hand. So barring an absolute disaster(Ireland losing the final two games) we have a playoff place.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Whats this about the bottom team results being discarded? Also how are the teams paired in the qualifiers is it just random out of the hat/seeded/or 1st v bottom 2nd v 2nd bottom etc...?

there are 9 groups
    1-8 have 6 teams
    9 has 5

the 9 top teams go straight through
    the top 8 2nd place teams go in a qualifier
    to do so fairly groups in 1-8 the 2nd place team's games against the bottom placed team in their group is not counted, as obviously they would have had 2 extra games than the 2nd place team in group 9.

I think the general consensus is that there will be no seeding for the quals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

The table will need to be updated after tonights games. At the minute, it has Northern Ireland not making it to the playoffs.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_FIFA_World_Cup_qualification_(UEFA)

• Subscribers Posts: 16,596 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

ANTIFA! wrote: »
    Norway have finished 2nd in Group 9 on 10 points but that group has one less team so they finish on 10. Ireland have 16 points but our two wins against Georgia are wiped away which leaves us on 10 but with 2 games in hand. So barring an absolute disaster(Ireland losing the final two games) we have a playoff place.

we still have to come ahead of Bulgaria as well, but you are right, scotland losing has made all the second placed teams lives much easier. One point will get us a playoff place if we keep second, but we need more than that to be sure of getting second ahead of Bulgaria.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭dogpile

Northern Ireland will miss out I reckon, beaten tonight away to the Czechs last game, only on 8 pts

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 16,596 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

dogpile wrote: »
    Northern Ireland will miss out I reckon, beaten tonight away to the Czechs last game, only on 8 pts

they are unlikely to get 2nd in the group anyway now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

http://www.soccerbot.com/fifa/tables/wcupeq2010.htm

Good site for checking the tables. Not updated with tonights games yet but gives a pretty clear view of remaining games and points.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Euro_Kraut

The updated tables from Wikipedia. One more point guarantees that we finish ahead of Norway.
    	               Pld 	W       D 	L 	GF 	GA 	GD 	Pts 	
    4 	 Russia 	7 	6 	0 	1 	15 	4 	+11 	18 	
    7 	 France 	7 	3 	3 	1 	9 	8 	+1 	12 	
    3 	 Slovenia 	7 	3 	2 	2 	8 	4 	+4 	11 	
    6 	 Croatia 	7 	3 	2 	2 	11 	12 	−1 	11 	
    5 	 Bosnia & H	6 	3 	1 	2 	15 	7 	+8 	10 	
    2 	 Greece 	6 	3 	1 	2 	9 	6 	+3 	10 	
    8 	 Rep. Ire   	6 	2 	4 	0 	6 	4 	+2 	10 	
    9 	 Norway 	8 	2 	4 	2 	9 	7 	+2 	10 	
    1 	 Sweden 	6 	2 	3 	1 	9 	3 	+1 	9

How many go through from these play offs?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

8 go in, 4 go through.

Italy's second goal was a work of art tonight and Gigi was in phenomenal form again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭dogpile

nipplenuts wrote: »

I'd quite fancy some of those currently 2nd placed on a 50/50 chance basis, obviously avoiding your France's Russia's and possible Croatia where you'd really have no chance...funnily enough I think Scotland/Norn Iron might have been a tougher task than the likes of Norway/Slovenia or whatever...lap of the Gods I suppose

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I'm not disappointed. I think a play-off place would be a fine achievement all things considered and we are in with a great chance of that now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,928 ✭✭✭dubmick

I have to say I am disappointed that Bulgaria couldn't get a draw. I really don't fancy our chances in a play off scenario. It would be a killer to get France or Russia/Germany

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Mr Maroon

Tonight in the Italy - Bulgaria game after Pepe messed up a cross by slipping over on his arse, the Turin crowd started to jeer and started to chant "Alessandro Del Piero oleee". :D

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭A_Fitz

dubmick wrote: »
    I have to say I am disappointed that Bulgaria couldn't get a draw. I really don't fancy our chances in a play off scenario. It would be a killer to get France or Russia/Germany

I agree, was a bit disappointed myself, but are we really capable of beating Italy if they came at us all guns blazing?? At least now there's less pressure on them to beat us, which can only be a good thing

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭A_Fitz

Euro_Kraut wrote: »
    The updated tables from Wikipedia. One more point guarantees that we finish ahead of Norway.
    	               Pld 	W       D 	L 	GF 	GA 	GD 	Pts 	
    4 	 Russia 	7 	6 	0 	1 	15 	4 	+11 	18 	
    7 	 France 	7 	3 	3 	1 	9 	8 	+1 	12 	
    3 	 Slovenia 	7 	3 	2 	2 	8 	4 	+4 	11 	
    6 	 Croatia 	7 	3 	2 	2 	11 	12 	−1 	11 	
    5 	 Bosnia & H	6 	3 	1 	2 	15 	7 	+8 	10 	
    2 	 Greece 	6 	3 	1 	2 	9 	6 	+3 	10 	
    8 	 Rep. Ire   	6 	2 	4 	0 	6 	4 	+2 	10 	
    9 	 Norway 	8 	2 	4 	2 	9 	7 	+2 	10 	
    1 	 Sweden 	6 	2 	3 	1 	9 	3 	+1 	9

Greece, Norway or Sweden wouldn't be too bad.......Bosnia & Herz or Slovenia wouldn't be disasters either, IMO

Slovenia are an average side. No better than Montenegro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,854 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

forget it against germany or russia id imagine. As for France, alot of the opinions on boards seem to rate them fairly highly based on past exploits!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Mr Maroon wrote: »
    Tonight in the Italy - Bulgaria game after Pepe messed up a cross by slipping over on his arse, the Turin crowd started to jeer and started to chant "Alessandro Del Piero oleee". :D

I'm sure the fans were happy enough.
    Lippi as manager, 7 juve players starting and both goals from juve players! Can't ask for much more.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Mr Maroon

Paparazzo wrote: »
    I'm sure the fans were happy enough.
    Lippi as manager, 7 juve players starting and both goals from juve players! Can't ask for much more.
    But in fairness an ageing Del Piero is still much better than Pepe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Idbatterim wrote: »
    As for France, alot of the opinions on boards seem to rate them fairly highly based on past exploits!
    And a hell of a lot of class players.

Advertisement