Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Beatles Remasters

Options
  • 09-09-2009 7:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,135 ✭✭✭

So, these are released today. Anybody heard them yet? Notice any difference, at all?

I won't be purchasing them, spent far too much money on Beatles albums as it is. Bought every single one of them as a teenager.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Planning on picking up the box set tomorrow if I can find it around town, but someone made a nice ~40 track 'best of' that I got hold of in the meantime.
    Notice any difference, at all?
    Huge :). These sound amazing. Seriously, getting goosebumps listening to songs I've heard a million times before.

Compared a couple of tracks to the 'remastered' No.1 album from a few years ago... much better than that muck :D

Really seems to be a fine, fine, job. Can't wait to listen to the full albums.

</huge-beatles-fan>

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

Goodshape wrote: »
    Planning on picking up the box set tomorrow if I can find it around town, but someone made a nice ~40 track 'best of' that I got hold of in the meantime.

Huge :). These sound amazing. Seriously, getting goosebumps listening to songs I've heard a million times before.

Compared a couple of tracks to the 'remastered' No.1 album from a few years ago... much better than that muck :D

</huge-beatles-fan>
    I agree, I picked up Please Please Me, Hard days night, With the Beatles, and Beatles for sale today. Sounds unreal, gonna slowly pick up the rest over next few weeks.

Also big Beatles fan here.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭Kevin Bacon

Was gonna buy them although short of cash, heard them on youtube, particularily in my life, the strings build up(you know the bit before Paul comes in) in the middle never sounded so good, but the question remains in fairness mono or stereo versions? John Lennon himself said you haven't heard sgt. peppers until you heard it in mono. So what version is best or which version are all you listening to? Advice, advice would be greatly appreciated which one to get?

Hate to get pedantic about it but i fuping love the beatles!:D

P.S. check out latchy's link on the lost Lennon interviews, linky,

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055674128

Goodshape just seen your post there the number 1 album wasn't remastered they where just working off the 1987 releases ( correct me if i'm wrong but i'm thinking of the cd release back then) but anyway they weren't remastered, they where as they where in 1987, which was the biggest compliant about that compilation. Let it be...naked was the only album remastered after such (which showed me at 15 years of age what a difference a producer makes, George Martin you fuping legend, hats off to the love album as well, definitely the 5th beatle no doubt. I'd slag off Phil Spector but thats too easy. )

Goodshape wrote: »

</huge-beatles-fan>

Did you get the stereo or mono versions??

</huge-beatles-fan>

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Can'tseeme

Another Beatle obsessive here:D

That's a question I've been wanting an answer to. Mono or Stereo?

Today FM last night played a load of the new stereo remasters. Day Tripper sounds amazing, it has really given it a lift sounds like a real rock n roller track. Drive My Car was never a favourite of mine till I've heard the remastered version. Norwegian Wood, Ticket To Ride, Help all sound amazing. Can't wait to hear the remaster of Pepper and songs like Strawberry Fields, Walrus, etc. Also heard songs like Cry Baby Cry which is has been pretty much a forgotten Beatle tune now has been brought to life.

Can't wait to get the boxset

• Advertisement

I picked up Revolver and Rubber Soul in Xtravision ( €13.95 each ), I thought Tesco might have had them here in Sligo ( no HMV here ).

Anyway, I listened to both last night and was hugely impressed,the sound is clear and crisp compared to the 87 releases,so hats off to the techies at EMI for a 4 year effort at getting these albums cleaned up.

I will pick up the rest over the next few weeks!:)

Massive Beatles fan!

Anyone know whats the price of the stereo boxset in shops over here?? Looking to pick it up tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Driver 8

230 in hmv i think, 15.99 each, or 13.99 in xtravision, except the white album and past masters, which are 24.99 in hmv, not sure about tesco/xtravision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Goodshape just seen your post there the number 1 album wasn't remastered they where just working off the 1987 releases ( correct me if i'm wrong but i'm thinking of the cd release back then) but anyway they weren't remastered, they where as they where in 1987, which was the biggest compliant about that compilation. Let it be...naked was the only album remastered after such (which showed me at 15 years of age what a difference a producer makes, George Martin you fuping legend, hats off to the love album as well, definitely the 5th beatle no doubt. I'd slag off Phil Spector but thats too easy. )

The Number 1s album was remastered. Very loud and compressed. It sounds like sh*t.

I already own all the 1987 CDs in the breadbin, the singles and EP boxes, the two Capitol album boxes and all the LPs in a mixture of mono and stereo.

The mono box arrived from Amazon today.
    It sounds great - White Album and Please Please Me played so far.

I'll get the stereo box in a couple of weeks.

The first four albums - Please Please Me to Beatles For Sale - were not released in stereo when the CDs came out in 1987. The mono mix was preferred by George Martin so that's what we got.

For stereo albums that feature vocals in one side and instruments on the other - I prefer to listen to with speakers as opposed to headphones.

My preference is for mono the whole way up to The White Album - with the exception of Rubber Soul. I think the stereo version of that sounds better. However the stereo versions of Rubber Soul and Help! that were released in 1987 were remixed that year by George Martin. These same remixed versions have been remastered for the stereo release programme.

The original stereo versions of Help! and Rubber Soul are extras in the mono box set. Nice bonus.

The mono titles are not available separately. The stereo ones are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭vinylrules

nlgbbbblth wrote: »
    The Number 1s album was remastered. Very loud and compressed. It sounds like sh*t.

I already own all the 1987 CDs in the breadbin, the singles and EP boxes, the two Capitol album boxes and all the LPs in a mixture of mono and stereo.

The first four albums - Please Please Me to Beatles For Sale - were not released in stereo when the CDs came out in 1987. The mono mix was preferred by George Martin so that's what we got.

For stereo albums that feature vocals in one side and instruments on the other - I prefer to listen to with speakers as opposed to headphones.

My preference is for mono the whole way up to The White Album - with the exception of Rubber Soul. I think the stereo version of that sounds better. However the stereo versions of Rubber Soul and Help! that were released in 1987 were remixed that year by George Martin. These same remixed versions have been remastered for the stereo release programme.

The original stereo versions of Help! and Rubber Soul are extras in the mono box set. Nice bonus.

Gosh, you know your Beatles on CD! And you're dead right, especially about the Number 1's album being compressed to hell. Just wondering, the general consensus prior to the current remasters, was that the EP Box set was the best sounding digital Beatles to date. Would you agree? I picked it up a few years ago and I was knocked out by how good it sounded compared to the '87 CD's - night and day in some cases (e.g. the bass on 'Drive My Car' or the stereo version of 'She's A Woman') While I haven't heard any of the remasters, and I'm hearing good things about them I'm wondering would I be as impressed as those who haven't heard the EP set? (Obviously, not everything on the albums was available on the EP set but a decent enough selection.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭Kevin Bacon

nlgbbbblth wrote: »

Sorry was just guessing by the sound of it wasn't remastered ie sh*t. Mad to think someone remastered that and they were happy to put that out.

Sound advice on the best versions. Ive read a couple of reviews on it and the also have the similar opinion to yourself, some better mono then stereo and vice versa.

If you want to hear a small sample of the songs go over to amazon

http://www.amazon.com/The-Beatles/e/B000APTK6K

Not the same as having the actual cd in your stereo, i know, but it gives you an idea of what the difference is. Stuck the laptop into the stereo and put on Good Morning Good Morning its instantly completely different, in a good way of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Glassheart

Another Beatle fanatic here.

I can't buy the Boxset until the end of the month which is killing me so i downloaded the Mono version of Sgt Pepper to keep me going.
    I always remembered that Lennon quote about the mono version.It is quite different.
    The end of the reprise,the sound of the vocals on Lucy in the Sky,The pitch on She's Leaving Home etc...

I was in HMV on Grafton st during lunch yesterday.The place was packed like you would only see at christmas.Everybody was buying Beatles stuff.I reckon a few these albums will be back in the top ten.:)

vinylrules wrote: »
    Gosh, you know your Beatles on CD! And you're dead right, especially about the Number 1's album being compressed to hell. Just wondering, the general consensus prior to the current remasters, was that the EP Box set was the best sounding digital Beatles to date. Would you agree? I picked it up a few years ago and I was knocked out by how good it sounded compared to the '87 CD's - night and day in some cases (e.g. the bass on 'Drive My Car' or the stereo version of 'She's A Woman') While I haven't heard any of the remasters, and I'm hearing good things about them I'm wondering would I be as impressed as those who haven't heard the EP set? (Obviously, not everything on the albums was available on the EP set but a decent enough selection.)

nothing will beat The Beatles' 60s mono LP pressings in my opinion but my vinyl is a hodge-podge of mono / stereo and 70s/80s repressings. I've owned them for close on 20 years and they've had heavy turntable action.

for the CDs I think that the EP box was the best sounding prior to these remasters. Particularly for the pre-Revolver material.
    I'd also rate the 22 disc Singles box and the Red/Blue albums.

Overall I don't mind the 1987 discs - from Revolver on they sounded pretty good (esp Abbey Road and Let It Be). They have their limits but give me quiet flat transfers over compressed hell any day.

I'd also recommend the two Capitol sets. Not everyone's cup of tea but for some perverse reason I like the butchered rejigging of the catalogue that the Americans did. It gives one a different perspective on the older material. There's plenty of echoey reverb on those discs too. A different experience to what had come before. Plus you get Help! with some of the orchestral-scored tracks which is great.

Would love to see a Capitol albums volume 3 containing Yesterday and Today, Revolver, Hey Jude and It's A Hard Days Night score (released by United Artists which might be tricky).

But ultimately these new versions are something else. Mono Sgt Pepper just got a blast and it's deadly. Will bring a couple more with me for tomorrow's discman commute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 kittensneeze

how come the mono catalogue is more expensive than the stereo?

how come the mono catalogue is more expensive than the stereo?

hard to say exactly but a combination of

- packaging (mini LP vinyl replica sleeves)
    - not mass produced like the stereo set but handmade in Japan

Don't forget that the mono set has 11 albums [14 discs], while the stereo has 13 albums [16 discs]

I bought the stereo version boxset today and I have to say it sounds fantastic. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

So tempted to buy the Stereo boxset...playing Beatles Rock Band has got me hyped. I'm missing several albums, so this would be the perfect (albeit expensive) way to round off the collection!

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Vunderground

I'm finding the mono discs a godsend for the headphones. Particularly Pepper. No more vocals in one ear and drums and whatever in the other. Elenor Rigby is another one that I've found difficult in stereo with Paul's voice in a side channel for the verses and in the middle for the chorus. Very distracting. There are lots more examples. MInd you the stereo White Album and Abbey Road are revelations. So, I guess I'd recommend getting the Mono box now and picking up the stereo ones as funds allow. There is no hype with these. They are just brilliant :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭K-Ren

Have Sgt. Pepper's in mono, there are some little different sounds that were cut off in 1987, noticable changes to the vocals (Paul's being clearer on the tile track and added flange on Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds). It's just fun to listen and hear little background noises such as Ringo joining in with a chorus. The instruments are clearer too, you notice more of George's guitar and Paul's bass.

I wouldn't say that the remasters are essential, I enjoyed the Beatles just fine beforehand, but they are certainly the better versions, however marginally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

I'm liking the remaster so far, but quick question for you guys. Do the jacksons still own the rights for them? If so they were quick off the mark for remastering. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭horslips

Also bought the mono set on the day of release. Stunning!

It is amazing the way that you can totally rehear the familiar material.

Went for the mono box since it is the authentic mixes as prepared by GM in the 60s - and also because I am a bit of sucker for the "limited edition" and "not otherwise available" tags. Will also pick up Abbey Rd. and Let It Be in stereo when the excitement of listening the original monos wears off a little.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭Hippo

Corkfeen wrote: »
    I'm liking the remaster so far, but quick question for you guys. Do the jacksons still own the rights for them? If so they were quick off the mark for remastering. :D

M Jackson co-owned the song publishing with Sony. EMI own the recordings, they're responsible for these new remasters, so it's nothing to do with any Jacksons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Dave Total

I've heard that the new remasters are amazing and this thread backs this up. I have a module coming up at uni about the Beatles, this may be an extra excuse to get the box set!

I cant find any of the earlier cd remasters in any of the shops,they all seem to stock the same ones,Rubber Soul,Revolver,Sgt. Pepper,Abbey Road and the White Album.I checked out Tesco and Xtravision and an independent cd store here in Sligo!

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Neo#

Any chance of these being released on vinyl too?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,991 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Neo# wrote: »
    Any chance of these being released on vinyl too?

rumoured for November but nothing confirmed.

nothing beats 60s pressings for Beatles vinyl. The subsequent vinyl reissues of the 70s and 80s don't come close.

I am not sure how good these new ones would be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Vincent Vega

Question for those who have already bought the stereo box..
    Is there anything included in it that can't be bought seperately? ie: booklets/bonus stuff whatnot.
    Or is it just the novelty of having them in a boxset?

I know the mono cds can only be bought in the boxset, but does the stereo boxset have anything unique to offer?

I was thinking about buying the stereo cds one by one.
    Would i miss out on anything?

• Advertisement

Question for those who have already bought the stereo box..
    Is there anything included in it that can't be bought seperately? ie: booklets/bonus stuff whatnot.
    Or is it just the novelty of having them in a boxset?

I know the mono cds can only be bought in the boxset, but does the stereo boxset have anything unique to offer?

I was thinking about buying the stereo cds one by one.
    Would i miss out on anything?

I ended up getting both

Stereo set
    - comes in a nice box
    - has a bonus DVD with the documentaries on it. Far nicer watching them on DVD than crappy Quicktime on the computer
    - is cheaper than buying them individually

If you're going to buy them one by one you might nice as well get the box

Advertisement