Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GFX <220 for my machine!

Options
  • 09-09-2009 7:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭

Hey all, currently have a Radeon 3650 or something in my machine, my setup is as follows:

Gigabyte GA-MA78G-UD3H, Socket-AM2+/AM3
    AMD 780G+SB700, ATX, DDR2 , Firewire, GbLAN, HDMI,

AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition
    3,2Ghz, AM3, 8MB, 125W, Boxed

OCZ StealthXStream Powersupply ATX/EPS,
    500W, 120mm Fan, 20/24pin

OCZ Platinum DDR2 PC6400 4GB KIT CL5
    w/two 2048MB PC6400 XTC, CL5-5-5-4

Gigabyte Poseidon 310 GZ-AA3CB-SJB
    Black, Aluminium Front (Without PSU)

Would like to add new GPU which will see me getting sick FPS in CS:S CS 1.6 COD4:MW2 when it comes out. Been looking at a Gainward GTX 275 for circa 210 on Komplett, just wondering is it good enough.

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=485790

Not as up to date with hardware as I was before so if there's any other upgrades you'd recommend please let me know :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

Monitor resolution?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

I'll have to go home and check, but it's about a 24" widescreen monitor and I use it on max resolution. I'll edit this post when I know for sure. I also play CS on widescreen on max res.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

HD4890. Significantly cheaper and more tweakable than the GTX275 while having similar performance. I would recommend no lower than a 1GB HD4870 or 216-core GTX260 for 1080p gaming, and I'll guess your monitor is around that res. If its 2560*1600 (high-end 24"), prepare for a world of hurt. HD4890 minimum, preferably OCd, and some newer games will still push, well, any single-GPU system damn hard at that res :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭Rezident

+1 for the 4890

You can get one with a Vapor-X cooler and 2 gigs of GDDR5 within your budget.

Was looking at this 4890 on Komplett, looks like a mighty card for the money so might just buy it tomorrow.

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=444231

• Advertisement

If you have the extra spare capacity on your PSU then this one is a much better bet. Cheaper, better cooled and its a software-overvolting design with a 950MHz "Turbo Boost" for starters :D

If you don't want to play with that then Komplett is overpriced for HD4890s. Go get one from Pixmania - the updated version of the one you linked to is under €155 there ;)

Gonna buy the Sapphire Radeon HD4950 off Komplett as pixmania are a bunch of gangsters trying to force me into buying some stupid Zen Engagement or something which I can't remove. I'd be saving about 5 euro in the end so I'll just stick with komplett thanks.

Okay... never had any problems with dumping that Zen [CENSORED] before myself...

HD4950? Can I have one? :D

Going to hold off for a few weeks till I get my 12mb connection in my new place, gf is gonna be so pissed off when she sees my machine in our room! Plus card should be cheaper by then with new gen coming out.

Didn't look too hard to get rid of that Zen Engagement tbh.

Solitaire wrote: »
    Okay... never had any problems with dumping that Zen [CENSORED] before myself...

HD4950? Can I have one? :D

Sorry meant 4890, dunno what I'm on about! :P

• Advertisement
Advertisement