Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wanting to switch course.

Options
  • 09-09-2009 8:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭

I am doing arts in first year and amn't exactly enjoying it, I think I'd much prefer neuroscience and have the requirements for it and the points(480).Is there any switching policy in UCD or should I re-apply to cao for next year?Any input appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

Shouldn't you give it a few weeks to see??

You can't switch at this stage AFAIK unless you're just switching within arts, so reapplication to the CAO is required

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭meathawk

Yeh I know I should try it out but it's just my subjects that are the killer.I like one of them but I can't major in it and stuff blah blah blah.I know in Trinity if there is a place switching is availible.Does anyone know if you have to hefty fees if you drop out and do first year again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Arts and neuroscience(scigology seems like the only subject that would be somewhat linked) are pretty miles apart! Why not change subjects inside arts? Anyway I'd be surprised if you couldn't switch courses at this stage if there's a place available. Considering LC re-checks come out in october people can possible end up switching courses that late. UCD might have a policy on it though, but I've found most colleges are pretty flexible once you make an effort to try and make it happen. Basically go in and talk to you're course head or whatever and go from there.

Well I do sociology and psychology and Brain and Behaviour is so interesting that I think neuroscience seems like a great choice for me, I would prefer psychology and if my rechecks somehow find me twenty points i'd gladly do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭leesmom

meathawk wrote: »
    Well I do sociology and psychology and Brain and Behaviour is so interesting that I think neuroscience seems like a great choice for me, I would prefer psychology and if my rechecks somehow find me twenty points i'd gladly do that.
    learning about drunk monkeys is fun:D

• Advertisement

yeah today was a great lecture!really enjoying it!What subjects are you doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭ColmDawson

leesmom wrote: »
    learning about drunk monkeys is fun:D

I went to that lecture today and I don't even do psychology. It proved entertaining enough!

yeah today was a great lecture!really enjoying it!What subjects are you doing?
    im doing midwifery but have brain and behavior as one of my electives, shes a good lecturer compared to some

ColmDawson wrote: »
    I went to that lecture today and I don't even do psychology. It proved entertaining enough!
    i actually remember what the lecture was about, so that has to be a good thing:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭logic123

im doing neuroscience and i can tell you you wouldent get in, the course is already full the brink lol

• Advertisement

Ah well, strange because in first year it's entirely modules in different sciences not just neuroscience so I don't know how you know how full it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭TDOie

The quicker you inquire about the switch the more likely it will happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

TDOie wrote: »
    The quicker you inquire about the switch the more likely it will happen.

Good advice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Michaelrsh

Apparently you can do what's called an Internal transfere, but you really need to do the chemistry and biology modules that are required to enter the second year. Seen as your doing arts you can only pick two electives which are outside your subject area so it would be really impossible to get into neuroscience unless you re-apply to the CAO for 2010/2011. Anyway there are plenty of good degrees in Arts (don't mind what people say about an arts degree being worth less then the paper it's written on), look at all the fameous people who did arts in UCD (look at ucd in wikipedia to see).

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭superLeetive

Yeh I know I should try it out but it's just my subjects that are the killer.I like one of them but I can't major in it and stuff blah blah blah.I know in Trinity if there is a place switching is availible.Does anyone know if you have to hefty fees if you drop out and do first year again?

Maybe you should give it another little while?

Go speak to Aisling O'Grady, the Arts Programme Advisor, ASAP and she'll do everything she can to help you! There's another advisor, Kieran somebody or other I think, never met him though but A O'G is a total legend and so helpful!

Fees: if you drop out on or before September 25th then you will not incur any fees on returning to first year of another course, if you drop out between September 26th and the start of semester 1 then you will incur half fees on returning to first year of another course and if you complete 1st year Arts and then take up a CAO offer for another course next year then you will incur full fees for the first year of the other course.

Advertisement