Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

hotel took money out of my bank without my knowledge

Options
  • 09-09-2009 8:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

hi all, bit of a prob and want to know where i stand.
    i booked into a hotel in castlebar mayo, i paid the reservation up front by laser card on the 21st july for my family. we checked in on 24th-27th july. on the monday i checked out i paid the bill, on the way home to dublin i got a ph call about 2-3pm saying i was under charged by 42.47 and could i settle this by laser or visa. so i asked the lady if she could email me a breakdown of the bill to make sure i wasnt paying for something twice and she agreed. then wwhen i got home i got another ph call of the hotel, asking me to pay the bill and said same as earlier to which he replyed ok. tuesday came and i got another ph call asking for the bill to be paid. i told them i stil had`nt received a break down by email, spelled out my email address to make sure there was no mastakes..
    never got the email and never heard any more about this... that was till i received my statement from my bank on the 28th of august stating that this so callled hotel accessed my laser details on their computer and used them without my permisson and took the 42.47 out off my account on the 31st july, 10 days after i used it to book hotel.:mad::eek:
    so i rang the hotel on the monday 31st august and asked for the manger, he is not here at moment and il get him to ring you back. so 630 that night i got a ph call and i explained what hapened and basicaly the hotel stole money from my account. so she tolld me she will investigate the incident and get back to me within 2 days.
    a week later still no ph call, so i rang on tuesday 8th september and got the manager dave, i explained what happened and he told me he will deal with this and get back to me. today i got a ph call of assistant manager saying i owe them money (which i paid on departures and have receit) and told me that it was wrong that the money was taking out of my account and jus said sorry and she said there was no proof i paid on departure:eek:
    i just wont to no where do i stand with this hotel using my details and taking money
    so i rang the hotel

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭Musha

It's quite common for hotels to keep CC/laser details on file so that charges can be levied it case someone does a runner or destroys the room and steals the bed:p thats why they swipe the cards on check-in, If you have a receipt for the transaction you completed on check-out then there should be no issue with the hotel but you have not explained what the extra charges are for and if whilst speaking to the managers they gave you a break down and you accepted them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

i booked into a hotel in castlebar mayo, i paid the reservation up front by laser card on the 21st july for my family. we checked in on 24th-27th july. on the monday i checked out i paid the bill, on the way home to dublin i got a ph call about 2-3pm saying i was under charged by 42.47 and could i settle this by laser or visa. so i asked the lady if she could email me a breakdown of the bill to make sure i wasnt paying for something twice and she agreed. then wwhen i got home i got another ph call of the hotel, asking me to pay the bill and said same as earlier to which he replyed ok. tuesday came and i got another ph call asking for the bill to be paid. i told them i stil had`nt received a break down by email, spelled out my email address to make sure there was no mastakes..
    never got the email and never heard any more about this... that was till i received my statement from my bank on the 28th of august stating that this so callled hotel accessed my laser details on their computer and used them without my permisson and took the 42.47 out off my account on the 31st july, 10 days after i used it to book hotel.:mad::eek:
    so i rang the hotel on the monday 31st august and asked for the manger, he is not here at moment and il get him to ring you back. so 630 that night i got a ph call and i explained what hapened and basicaly the hotel stole money from my account. so she tolld me she will investigate the incident and get back to me within 2 days.
    a week later still no ph call, so i rang on tuesday 8th september and got the manager dave, i explained what happened and he told me he will deal with this and get back to me. today i got a ph call of assistant manager saying i owe them money (which i paid on departures and have receit) and told me that it was wrong that the money was taking out of my account and jus said sorry and she said there was no proof i paid on departure:eek:
    i just wont to no where do i stand with this hotel using my details and taking money
    so i rang the hotel

Ring them again, and ask for one of the managers you talked to. Be short and curt and simply say "I've already told you what happened. I'll give you 2 days to rectify it or you will receive a letter from my solicitor as well as a bill for his services. Good day."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭jaffa20

i'm confused about what actually happened but..

You can't raise a laser query transaction with your branch for the extra money they took out of your account. The details will be keyed in so you didn't authorise it wjth a pin. if the hotel don't get back with proof or details on why they took the money, the bank can refund you.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

I can clearly see why you did not get an e-mail even if you spelled out your e-mail address...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,662 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

so i rang the hotel

Firstly, the hotel did have your permission to take the money, you gave it to the when you registered, it will be listed someone in the very very small print.

Secondly, are you so sure you do not own the money, late charges like this are usually phone/minibar/food charges...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Firstly, the hotel did have your permission to take the money, you gave it to the when you registered, it will be listed someone in the very very small print.

Secondly, are you so sure you do not own the money, late charges like this are usually phone/minibar/food charges...

In fairness that's why he asked for the breakdown so he could make sure of that...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Ring them one last time asking for the receipt for the latest charge, and have it posted to your address. They have to provide this, and if they don't, then you might be able to get the bank to investigate the charge. As GerardKeating said though, you did authorise charges when you checked in, so they're not exactly doing anything wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭wayne riley

i did ring the hotel and got a breakdown and the total i owed was 154 which i paid on departure with cash and have receipt. i did not wreck the room or have a mini bar in room. when the assistant manager rang me she said the hotel should not have used my details but i still owed them money, which i don't, as i said i paid on departure and then they took an extra 42.47 out off my account.

AND NODY IF YOU DONT HAVE SOMETHING USEFULL TO SAY KEEP IT TO YOURSELF...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭jaffa20

i did ring the hotel and got a breakdown and the total i owed was 154 which i paid on departure with cash and have receipt. i did not wreck the room or have a mini bar in room. when the assistant manager rang me she said the hotel should not have used my details but i still owed them money, which i don't, as i said i paid on departure and then they took an extra 42.47 out off my account.

AND NODY IF YOU DONT HAVE SOMETHING USEFULL TO SAY KEEP IT TO YOURSELF...

i had something useful to say.

Contact your branch with the receipt. Inform them you did not authorise this charge. They will be able to dispute it because it wasn't chip and pin. It can take up to 45 days. You will get you money back if the retailer is not able to provide documentation that you authorised this charge.

That is all you can do if the hotel is not willing to refund you on the spot.

Advertisement