Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Creation - The Story of Charles Darwin

• 09-09-2009 8:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭

I was torn between posting here or in the evolution thread, so feel free to toss it in there Dadd... I mean Dades.
    HIS THEORY OF EVOLUTION MAY BE AMONG THE MOST SIGNIFICANT IDEAS IN THE HISTORY OF HUMAN THOUGHT, BUT THIS INCISIVE BIOPIC REMINDS US HOW LITTLE MOST OF US KNOW ABOUT CHARLES DARWIN THE MAN.
    Adapted from the book Annie’s Box written by his great-great grandson Randal Keynes, the picture here is of a scientist whose personal life is almost destroyed by the enormity of his own discovery. Back home in the English countryside, years after his voyages in the South Seas, Paul Bettany’s Darwin has actually been putting off writing On the Origin of Species because he knows his theories will hurt his religious, dearly beloved wife Emma (Jennifer Connelly, the off-screen Mrs Bettany as well). Meanwhile, he’s also haunted by the memory of the beloved daughter the couple lost to pneumonia — and since he no longer has a God to pray to, what resources does he have to fall back on?

Director Jon Amiel does well throughout to stop the film getting bogged down in the despondency which obviously afflicted Darwin himself, instead moving nimbly back and forth in time to startling effect, using stop-motion to bring Darwin’s ideas visually to life, and daringly making his visions of his dead daughter a key part of the story. Bettany has a delightfully light touch in the family scenes but he leaves us in no doubt of the character’s inner turmoil, while Connelly’s resilience never turns fustian. Awed by Darwin’s fundamentally humanitarian compassion, yet never blind to the comforts of faith, this is a surefire end of year awards contender. See it here first. — Trevor Johnston.

http://www.irishfilm.ie/cinema/dispfilm_07.asp?filmID=6509
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Looking forward to seeing this, it got a good review in the latest edition of Empire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Did someone say A&A cinema trip????????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Galvasean wrote: »

:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Galvasean wrote: »

.....in Canada?????

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I've a load of stuff going on this month, but if people do go, great. Somebody has to sneak in a handicam and post the movie here the next day, though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Dr Pepper

Dades wrote: »
    I've a load of stuff going on this month, but if people do go, great. Somebody has to sneak in a handicam and post the movie here the next day, though.

Tut tut, typical atheist, no moral compass!! :pac:

I'll go along to an A&A outing. I suppose we need to pick a day that suits everyone.
    The Monday and Wednesday shows are good for me..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

Well, I'm back to working evenings and living in Sligo four days a week, so I probably won't be able to make it.

I take solace in the fact that it got a good review in Empire, so I probably wouldn't like it anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

atwood, dawkins and ggdaughter slated it on the newsnight review, saying it over dramatised the conflict between husband and wife, but other wise they said it has an ok aright handle on the science .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭rccaulfield

Is this out in selected cinemas only??

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Tyler MacDurden

Is this out in selected cinemas only??

..Not in the States anyhow, if this report is anything to go by.

A sample of the madness;
    ...US distributors have resolutely passed on a film which will prove hugely divisive in a country where, according to a Gallup poll conducted in February, only 39 per cent of Americans believe in the theory of evolution.

Movieguide.org, an influential site which reviews films from a Christian perspective, described Darwin as the father of eugenics and denounced him as "a racist, a bigot and an 1800s naturalist whose legacy is mass murder". His "half-baked theory" directly influenced Adolf Hitler and led to "atrocities, crimes against humanity, cloning and genetic engineering", the site stated.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I doubt Middle America was their target market !

Will wait for the DVD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

Just found out that this was funded by the BBC - suddenly I'm a lot more interested...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Charley Horse

Anything happening with this little cinema outing?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

..Not in the States anyhow, if this report is anything to go by.

A sample of the madness;

Oh America, what has happened you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

Anything happening with this little cinema outing?!

Dunno. End of the month?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Charley Horse

Dunno. End of the month?

Cool, will it still be on then i wonder?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

Cool, will it still be on then i wonder?!

Screening Times:

Friday 25 September at 18.20|20.40
    Saturday 26 September at 18.20|20.40
    Sunday 27 September at 16.20|18.35|20.50
    Monday 28 September at 20.40
    Tuesday 29 September at 20.40
    Wednesday 30 September at 20.40

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

Zillah wrote: »
    Oh America, what has happened you?

Sure, don't I remember poor old Thomas Jefferson saying the very same thing to me.:pac:

Will definately be going to see it.

Advertisement