Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Argos v Philips

Options
  • 09-09-2009 8:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭

My slightly over a year old Philips shaver switch is faulty but the shaver is covered by a 2yr manufacturers guarantee.

So yesterday trotted off to Argos more in hope than belief that I might a get offered a replacement unit. They said we only guarantee stuff for a year and mine was just over that, and told to get in touch with Philips.

Rang their customer stervice in Dublin later and was told quite categorily by a man who gave me his name that it was up to argos to deal with it and see the manager.

Today trotted back to Argos, (pig in the middle) explained to the manager that Philips said it was thier problem. Manager said no it wasn't, it was the manufacturers problem, so I asked him would he give the man in Philips a ring and discuss it with him.

Which he did, and came back to me and said in a low voice that ur man in Philips was a right *rick, and that he has reported him. He offered to sent the shaver off for repair, which I accepted and he apologised to me.

I don't know where the real truth lies in this story, but personally I would be inclined to think that it was Philips responsibility, once the first year after purchase had run out. What do ye think.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

I know that you are wrong so I don't think about it a whole lot; your contract is with the seller, not Philips. Argos was trying to get out the easy way by fobbing you of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

The retailer is liable for a period of possibly up to 6 years. A 1 year guarantee is in addition to your statutory rights, which state that the produce must work for a "reasonable period". "Reasonable" would depend on the product in question, but it's not limited to 1 year.

A manufacturers warranty is also in addition to your statutory entitlements.

http://www.consumerconnect.ie/eng/Hot_Topics/FAQs/Faulty-goods/
    Q11. I have a faulty good but my guarantee is out of date by one month. Is there anything I can do?

A guarantee/warranty is a bonus and cannot affect or diminish your statutory rights with the seller. A guarantee/warranty is a written statement given by a manufacturer or a company indicating they will repair or replace a product within a specified time after it was purchased. You may decide to claim under a guarantee during its period of validity, but cannot be obliged to do so.

Therefore you may, if the reasonable lifetime of a given product exceeds the time period of any warranty, pursue the seller in respect of your statutory rights - 'The Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act, 1980'. If the trader refuses to offer redress for the faulty goods and you have exhausted all other options you may wish to pursue the matter with the Small Claims Court.

A guarantee may be useful to a third party, however, as it extends to anyone possessing the goods during the guarantee period. This contrasts with the statutory rights of a purchaser, which extend only to the original purchaser of a good and not to any subsequent recipient or owner of that product. This distinction in important to note in respect of items given as gifts or the purchase/use of second hand items.

It is the trader/retailer's responsibility.

Advertisement