Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Eve] Just started

Options
  • 09-09-2009 9:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭

Okay, so I started a 21 day trial for eve today as I'm looking for a good mmo with low bandwidth requirements (thank you nui maynooth :mad:) so I thoght I'd try eve. Seems good so far. I'm still doing the tutorial and am starting mission 4 of the military career. Just looking for some advice on what to do when the training thing is over, do I choose a career then, join a corp etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Run missions for a while to get used to the game and make some money. Then try out a player corporation to have some organised fun. Trust no one until you've been with them for a good while. Never, ever trust someone from goonswarm unless you are one of them, and if you have any doubts about being one of them then you're definitely not. Player Vs Player combat is where the real fun is. Try to get involved in that when you can. Never stop asking questions, you will have a lot of them.

Apparently Eve university is a good place for innocent newbies to find their feet.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,189 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Zillah wrote: »
    Trust no one ever
    Fixed that for you :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭WuuZii

Zillah wrote: »
    Run missions for a while to get used to the game and make some money. Then try out a player corporation to have some organised fun. Trust no one until you've been with them for a good while. Never, ever trust someone from goonswarm unless you are one of them, and if you have any doubts about being one of them then you're definitely not. Player Vs Player combat is where the real fun is. Try to get involved in that when you can. Never stop asking questions, you will have a lot of them.

Apparently Eve university is a good place for innocent newbies to find their feet.

Hey, some of us goonswarm memebers are trusthworthy.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭Sir Molle

Hi cian1500ww. I am from Goonswarm. Please pay no attention to "Zillah". He is a member of an enemy alliance, and is trying to jeopardise our recruitment drive by undermining our legitimacy and trust. Goonswarm is currently the biggest and best alliance in the Eve-Online universe. We are constantly recruiting new players. We believe that if you give new players a friendly environment to settle in to the game, they stick around longer and before you know it, they are loyal hardened veterans. So, if you're interested in joining Goonswarm pm me and I'll get you sorted out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭R0ot

Welcome to the game. Dont trust anyone that needs you to pay them to join their corporation as its a scam. Eve university is a good start place they run classes for their members on all kinds of subjects be it pvp or pve related.

Should be a link to their site in one of the stickies on this forum.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭kyp_durron

WuuZii wrote: »
    Hey, some of us goonswarm memebers are trusthworthy.......

You are a pretty trustworthy guy, it's true. I like your beard too :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

Thanks for all the advice guys. I've heard of several horror stories so I'm going to have to be very careful. I'm currently docked in Arcon as it was recommended for me after completing the tutorial missions by a fe people in the rookie channel. I'm always in the Irish channel anytime I'm on and I go by the name Valsarius. I'm probably going to annoy the socks of you all with questions for the next few weeks so I may as well start now !! My character is a member of the Amarr and I'm using a frigate ship called the Executioner. Can anyone recommend a good upgrade ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭kyp_durron

cian1500ww wrote: »
    Thanks for all the advice guys. I've heard of several horror stories so I'm going to have to be very careful. I'm currently docked in Arcon as it was recommended for me after completing the tutorial missions by a fe people in the rookie channel. I'm always in the Irish channel anytime I'm on and I go by the name Valsarius. I'm probably going to annoy the socks of you all with questions for the next few weeks so I may as well start now !! My character is a member of the Amarr and I'm using a frigate ship called the Executioner. Can anyone recommend a good upgrade ??

A Punisher HTH

kyp_durron wrote: »
    A Punisher HTH
    Wow !! That was quick, I shall look into it now :D

Sir Molle wrote: »
    Hi cian1500ww. I am from Goonswarm. Please pay no attention to "Zillah". He is a member of an enemy alliance, and is trying to jeopardise our recruitment drive by undermining our legitimacy and trust. Goonswarm is currently the biggest and best alliance in the Eve-Online universe. We are constantly recruiting new players. We believe that if you give new players a friendly environment to settle in to the game, they stick around longer and before you know it, they are loyal hardened veterans. So, if you're interested in joining Goonswarm pm me and I'll get you sorted out.

And so the cycle begins again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭mamolian

Military career?! wat :confused:

This some new stuff in the tutorial or something?

mamolian wrote: »
    Military career?! wat :confused:

This some new stuff in the tutorial or something?
    There was industry, business and military groups of missions.

There was industry, business and military groups of missions.

Oh man its been awhile since i've heard anyone call them careers. Thank you for giving an old dog a chuckle. I'd advise expanding into the more cut throat side of eve that is PVP. :D

R0ot wrote: »
    Oh man its been awhile since i've heard anyone call them careers. Thank you for giving an old dog a chuckle. I'd advise expanding into the more cut throat side of eve that is PVP. :D
    That's what the nice lady giving the tutorial called them :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

Jaysus, all this sound of new stuff in the tutorial missions makes me want to start a new character.

Maybe I should stick with the one I've got first.

OP, if you're ever around the Molden Heath, give me a shout. Could use another Amaarian to fly around with :D

TheChrisD wrote: »
    Jaysus, all this sound of new stuff in the tutorial missions makes me want to start a new character.

Maybe I should stick with the one I've got first.

OP, if you're ever around the Molden Heath, give me a shout. Could use another Amaarian to fly around with :D
    Will do, wherever the hell that is !! Is there an online map you can view or something ??

Will do, wherever the hell that is !! Is there an online map you can view or something ??

It's a region, search for it in people and places neocon (the one with the magnifiying glass on it) and change the search option to Region and you'll get a look at it. :pac:

Should have my new cruiser in 30mins, finally might be able to have a good crack at some missions !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

Sir Molle wrote: »

ye also believe in charging your members real money to join your something awful forum before u let any new recruit join bobswarm

ye also believe in charging your members real money to join your something awful forum before u let any new recruit join bobswarm

You sound bitter!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

nah not bitter just dont believe in paying real money to join an alliance just so some alliance leader makes a ton of money.

I got into Goonswarm for free. I'm pretty sure most others do as well.

NB2D, it costs $10 to join the Something Awful forums, not to join Goonswarm. Goonfleet is a corporation whose members happen to all come from the SA forums or are the RL friends or family of Goonfleet members.

There are other corps in Goonswarm, most do not openly recruit and none of them charge you a RL cash fee to join, afaik that would be an EULA violation (rl cash for ingame services).

Paying money to join SA just so that you can join goonfleet is one very good way to ensure you never get to join goonfleet.

Also, speaking of new stuff, this thread seems as good as any: Holy crap I've been reading about wormholes, they sound exciting and terrifying. Do they actually work out profitable considering the extraordinary effort and risk involved?

They were extremely profitable at the start, now that everyone is doing it T3 prices have crashed. There is still a profit to be made but you would have to be in there full time and that means a POS to work out of and some buddies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Blazher

WuuZii wrote: »
    NB2D, it costs $10 to join the Something Awful forums, not to join Goonswarm. Goonfleet is a corporation whose members happen to all come from the SA forums or are the RL friends or family of Goonfleet members.

There are other corps in Goonswarm, most do not openly recruit and none of them charge you a RL cash fee to join, afaik that would be an EULA violation (rl cash for ingame services).

Sorry. I have never played EvE, have been thinking about it as of late. hence the reason i am here, But what the hell is this Goonwarm/GoonFleet, Goon everything. Are they a group of Guilds?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭D

They are a corp(guild) originating from the Something Awful forums.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

Here's as good a place as any, having just signed up.
    Having played many years ago, I'm fairly certain everything changed and what hasn't I've forgotten.

So my first newbie question is does it matter a damn which of the starting races I pick. I had played with the Minmatar before. Does it make a difference or are the people here spread out among the lot ?

• Advertisement

Starting races dont really matter. You can join player corps regardless of your race. Just pick whichever race has the best looking (in your opinion) ships, or pick your favourite weapon type. Caldari are missile whores, Gallente are turret whores with sweet looking ships, Amaar are laser whores with even sweeter looking ships, and Minmater are artillery whores with ships that look like they should have been scrapped a long time ago.

You can, and if you play long for enough, will train across different weapons at some stage. I went Gallente, but am training missiles at the moment.

Advertisement