Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

best value in sterling

Options
  • 09-09-2009 9:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,579 ✭✭✭

buying a car up north and am looking to get approx 12kstg where is my best bet is it bureau de change or can i bargain with my bank

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭The Rooster

If you've already agreed a price with the garage, then currency.ie or xe.com could be use to transfer the money from your account to the garage's bank account.

I recently was transferring dollars to someone's account and was going to do it through my Ulster bank branch. But I checked out currency.ie and ended up saving about 1% by going through them (so in your case that'd be around £120). Dunno if the banks can be bargained with - maybe with the commission but not with the rate I think.

The downside is that for anti-money laundering reasons they do need a copy of your passport and utility bill to confirm your identity before they can act.
    And if you need cash I don't think they can provide it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 patbrady877

whoever you do it with - make sure you do it soon - sterling is currently trading at 0.873 - this is higher than in recent previous months. Lots of suggestions that sterling will pull back over the coming weeks.

You can loose 10% in the blink of an eye if you dont keep tabs on it.

Advertisement