Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

They could do it you know..

• 09-09-2009 9:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭

...England could really win the world cup.

Brazil, Argentina, Spain, Italy...none of them have looked invincible in the last two years and in Europe, nobody has scored more goals than England in qualifying.

That wasn't Luxemborg that they hammered tonight...I think they could be a decent bet to win next year. And to be honest, it's not the worst thought in the world.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭ANTIFA!

Of course they could and a country like them should be winning world cups. Its not exactly an outlandish prediction.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

I think ill have a bit of money on them to win it but i think Spain will be the favourites.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭Tyranax

They certainly could. Capello has done a fantastic job with them,and I think if he manages to get them past the quarter final stage, then anything could happen. I know the idea is anathema to some people, but there has been less rubbish from the press recently as well. I stil think that they are behind Brazil and Spain though. Anybody else though, and they are on either even or superior footing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

Brazil, Argentina, Spain, Italy...none of them have looked invincible in the last two years and in Europe, nobody has scored more goals than England in qualifying.

That wasn't Luxemborg that they hammered tonight...I think they could be a decent bet to win next year. And to be honest, it's not the worst thought in the world.

Nah, come the tournament all those teams you mention manage to turn it on. England would need a kind draw to say the least. Plus the last 2 times England qualified unbeaten they came home after the first round (Euro 88 and 92).

They of course could...but I don't think they will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,049 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Brazil - Spain - England

I can only see one of those three winning it. Yes I am writing off the Germans :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,216 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

...Probably wont even be there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

That's true enough alright, a world cup without Messi...a horrid thought to be honest. Almost as horrid as a world cup without Fletcher :eek:

Same was said about Brazil in 94 and 2002. Plus Italy and France hardly set the world alight on their way to Germany 06. I would never write off a team with Messi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Maybe with this manager they might , at least he has put introduced some discipline into this England side ,something that has being lacking under previous sides .Can yoiu imagine for example Gazza acting the clown with this manager the way he did ? Under Cappello he would be out on his ear and rightly so . At least he has made them believe they are as good if not better than some of the teams they will meet in SA next year ? Englands problem over the years was always believing they were better than they actually were and all the frigging hpye that goes with England and Englishness .

It's more realistic this time for them

Its just the backline of Argentina that is so poor in comparison to the rest of their team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭deise48

everybody getting ahead of themselves again i see

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

They could win it. The cold weather will suit. But England are always a bad price due to the weight of patriotic money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

deise48 wrote: »
    everybody getting ahead of themselves again i see

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

There are 7 or 8 countries that could realistically win it. It comes as no shock to say that England are 1 of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

Is it not a bit to early to go predicting the world cup winners? :cool:

Come on their qualified all but 5 minutes. Can we at least wait till 2010?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

ANTIFA! wrote: »
    Its just the backline of Argentina that is so poor in comparison to the rest of their team.

and their manager

I think England have a great chance to go far in the WC,they have also a plan B with the likes of crouch on the bench so I think it could be their best chance to win the WC for along time

but keeping Rooney fit is vital for England

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Also the manager is a clown.:pac:

Edit: Haha headshot, great minds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

I think its inevitable

That they will lose in the quarter finals on penalties.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭dogpile

Wouldn't discount some of the stronger African nations on whats basically home soil, wouldn't have a clue who they'd be(not too well up on African football) tho SA are obviously pants to be disregarded

oh yeah Drogba's crowd looked handy last time I watched them on "tv"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,402 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Tbh I cant see them overcoming the favourites ie Brazil or Spain, though Capello has done a great job with them, to expect a team who didnt even qualify for the previous European championships to go and win the following World cup is a bit much imo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

dogpile wrote: »
    Wouldn't discount some of the stronger African nations on whats basically home soil, wouldn't have a clue who they'd be(not too well up on African football) tho SA are obviously pants to be disregarded

I think Ghana are pretty strong with a lot of players plying their trade in Europe. Could be dark horses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

flahavaj wrote: »
    I think Ghana are pretty strong with a lot of players plying their trade in Europe. Could be dark horses.

:D sorry...

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Argentina will still make the world cup.

What??????? That be like saying England had a better chance than Argentina in 06 because they're basically on home soil.

flahavaj wrote: »

ah the the dreaded 'dark horse', last two teams with that tag i can remember given that tag(serbia in 06, and bulgaria in 04) ended with 0 points and bottom of their groups.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭shayser

There was an England world cup winners 1966 flag at the Liverpool v Bolton match last month.

I think Holland could be in with a shot but that defence is dodgy

but that attack line is superb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

id like to see england win the world cup tbh

Nah Holland have too many average players or players who are good but not that good. They definetly punch above their weight though to their credit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

France haven't got a mention at all. I think they'll win it

syngindub wrote: »
    France haven't got a mention at all. I think they'll win it

:)

have you've seen recently ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

Headshot wrote: »
    :)

have you've seen recently ?
    no, whats happening with them?
    How will they finish their group
    benzema and ribery in the team, they have a chance

syngindub wrote: »
    no, whats happening with them?
    How will they finish their group
    benzema and ribery in the team, they have a chance

have a look for the Will France ever sack Domenech? thread

Headshot wrote: »
    have a look for the Will France ever sack Domenech? thread

World Cups throw up surprises like France just finding form at the right time so I would not discount them. yes they are in complete disarray rigth now, but next June is a long, long way off.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

France might not even qualify, they are as bad as Italy, fallen far from the lofty position they once held. I am glad the World cup is 9 or 10 months away, if it was played in the morning Engerland would be in the final aginst Spain , Christ ,the last 40 years since 1966 has been tough, if they won again ... not worth thinking about. Hopefully they are at their peak now and we can all look forward to a semi final loss - on pens to Germany of course!!

• Advertisement

World Cups throw up surprises like France just finding form at the right time so I would not discount them. yes they are in complete disarray rigth now, but next June is a long, long way off.

not with Domenech in charge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

We did say this at the last world cup

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    France might not even qualify, they are as bad as Italy, fallen far from the lofty position they once held. I am glad the World cup is 9 or 10 months away, if it was played in the morning Engerland would be in the final aginst Spain , Christ ,the last 40 years since 1966 has been tough, if they won again ... not worth thinking about. Hopefully they are at their peak now and we can all look forward to a semi final loss - on pens to Germany of course!!

Sorry its not Englands fault that a foreign country consumes its media.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,402 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Before the last WC the english media seemed to go hysterical.They had won the competition before a ball had been kicked. Does anybody remember how much stick the RTE panel used to give them, it was gas.
    This video comes to mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Unearthly wrote: »
    Brazil - Spain - England

I can only see one of those three winning it. Yes I am writing off the Germans :eek:

England
    Same thing different year - what makes you people believe again and again that England could win anything? The only thing they're good at is self-sabotaging themselves.
    Must be that over-exposure to the premiership hype that makes people believe that the top English players are the be-all and end-all.

Spain
    Ye sure, it's their 'golden generation'.

Brazil
    Obviously, but I don't think they're as strong as they used to be.

As for Germany.
    Funny that you would write us off, since a) apparently you shall never do that and b) for the first time in almost 20 years we're beginning to assemble a decent squad again. Next year could be too early since a lot of them are still very young but then maybe not. In any case, we'll be thereabouts...

Edit: Forget all of the above and replace it with: 'Ah Jesus, here we go again...'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

Unearthly wrote: »
    Brazil - Spain - England

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooo you cant write off the Germaaaaaaaans :eek::eek::eek:

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Not really home soil though, the climate in SA will be more similar to England than Ghana or Ivory Coast, and even Spain or Brazil

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

If Argentina qualify and change manager they've got a chance. They have the players and would likely walk out of their group at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

England certainly have the players to do it but it is a tough competition and their win/loss could be down to something as small as a pen or an injury that decides who wins this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Tomthepost

Tbh I cant see them overcoming the favourites ie Brazil or Spain, though Capello has done a great job with them, to expect a team who didnt even qualify for the previous European championships to go and win the following World cup is a bit much imo.

Denmark won a European Championships eventhough they had not qualified! If a week is a long time in politics then surely 2 years is a long time in football. Just consider Arsenal pre and post christmas last season or Villa for that matter:o
    Anyway England's inability to maintain posession and control games will mean that they will come no where close to winning the world cup. For all the attacking flair, heart and ability to win penalties the Spain's Brazil's, and our dark horse friends from Ghana will pass them off the park.

Brazil don't really pass teams off the park though. They counter-attack at explosive speed but I don't think their style is possession football like Spain or Argentina.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

8-10 wrote: »
    If Argentina qualify and change manager they've got a chance. They have the players and would likely walk out of their group at least.
    They are kicking off against Paraguay away very shortly, could decide a lot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Tomthepost

Brazil don't really pass teams off the park though. They counter-attack at explosive speed but I don't think their style is possession football like Spain or Argentina.

I think that they had a fair share of the ball during the recent confederations cup competition but yes they are a little different to Spain and Argentina and the dark horses. Posession is the name of the game at the very top these days however (see champions league final)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,312 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Sure it started tonight during the game Clive "That night in Barcalona" Tyldesley reconed England will win next years World Cup as its going to be a winter World Cup with cold wind and rain so the conditions will suit England more

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Jayob10

England have as much a shot as anyone. Its foolish to say they are certs to win it but its just as foolish to write them off as being losing quarter finalists in a penalty shoot out. Anything can happen once the knockouts come.

England for a long time pandered to their media who demanded attractive football. The performance was as important as the result. They demanded the team beat Brazil at their own game. Capello realises he has SOME world class players and probably the best bunch of Defenders around. England can be successful if they tried to frustrate teams, be resolute at the back and nick a goal. But an England manager would be vilified if he went that route.

Capello doesnt give two hoots about what the media say. He has the team scoring goals right now and his use of Steven Gerrard as a left sided midfielder to give the team balance shows he values team ethic and discards ego. Come the knockout stages against the bigger and better teams I reckon England could bore their way to victory. If Capello is brave enough.

Some poster on here said it before me, England never represent good value with the bookies though. For all the failures they have had they should be about 16/1 to win it instead of 2nd or 3rd favourites consistently.

I have 2 bets on myself, Russia and Ivory Coast to win it. for the value of course ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement