Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

They could do it you know..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Tomthepost

Jayob10 wrote: »
    England have as much a shot as anyone. Its foolish to say they are certs to win it but its just as foolish to write them off as being losing quarter finalists in a penalty shoot out. Anything can happen once the knockouts come.

England for a long time pandered to their media who demanded attractive football. The performance was as important as the result. They demanded the team beat Brazil at their own game. Capello realises he has SOME world class players and probably the best bunch of Defenders around. England can be successful if they tried to frustrate teams, be resolute at the back and nick a goal. But an England manager would be vilified if he went that route.

Capello doesnt give two hoots about what the media say. He has the team scoring goals right now and his use of Steven Gerrard as a left sided midfielder to give the team balance shows he values team ethic and discards ego. Come the knockout stages against the bigger and better teams I reckon England could bore their way to victory. If Capello is brave enough.

I have 2 bets on myself, Russia and Ivory Coast to win it. for the value of course ;)

Anything can happen once the knockouts come.
    Now where is that thread about most annoying football sayings.
    If this is the case why are the same 5 or 6 teams in the final every four years?

England can be successful if they tried to frustrate teams, be resolute at the back and nick a goal. But an England manager would be vilified if he went that route.
    This is what English teams have always done and continue to do IMO and yes it is in their interests to do this because given the poor technique of English players their is no other way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭ANTIFA!

How can you say English players have 'poor technique'. A cliché that I've been hearing for ages.

Do Rooney, Lampard, Gerrard, Beckham, Cole etc. have 'poor technique'? Hardly.

They don't have poor technique compared to Spain, Brazil, Argentina let alone countries like Italy, France and Germany.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Tomthepost

ANTIFA! wrote: »
    How can you say English players have 'poor technique'. A cliché that I've been hearing for ages.

Do Rooney, Lampard, Gerrard, Beckham, Cole etc. have 'poor technique'? Hardly.

They don't have poor technique compared to Spain, Brazil, Argentina let alone countries like Italy, France and Germany.

That is funny:D
    Did you see England play Spain last year:D
    Its part of ones make-up my friend.
    Kenyans and Ethiopians were made to run long distances faster.
    Jamacians to sprint
    People from Kilkenny to be good at hurling
    People from Kerry to be good at gaelic football
    Latins to have good technique
    English, Irish, Scandinavans to have good heart.
    Its life im afraid.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

England's problem is their ability to choke. In 2006 it appeared that they had a great chance.

Capello has made them a superb team. But, they still have the ability to choke

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭A_Fitz

England will win **** all, for two simple reasons:

They are already, even at this ridiculously early stage, contemplating/talking about winning it, which will get them precisely nowhere, as we've often seen before.

They haven't the balls/heart/spirit needed.

End of.

Tomthepost wrote: »
    That is funny:D
    Did you see England play Spain last year:D
    Its part of ones make-up my friend.
    Kenyans and Ethiopians were made to run long distances faster.
    Jamacians to sprint
    People from Kilkenny to be good at hurling
    People from Kerry to be good at gaelic football
    Latins to have good technique
    English, Irish, Scandinavans to have good heart.
    Its life im afraid.:(

and pray tell when the genetic need for latins to have 'good technique' was developed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

and pray tell when the genetic need for latins to have 'good technique' was developed?
    They needed to become nimble in order to escape bulls

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Soby wrote: »
    We did say this at the last world cup
    Say what? Anyone with half a brain could see that England didn't have a prayer with that clown Sven in charge.

England are a different team under Capello although I do feel it will take an off day for Spain or Brazil to lose to them, as both are considerably superior technically. I'd fancy them to make the semis at least though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Toss a hexagonal coin.

There is no standout team this year and none of the teams that will challenge have home soil or even a continent that will suit. Every team has a weakness, every team has strengths.

Don't think England are as reliant on rooney as people are saying because Defoe is proving a useful number 2 to him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭NoelJ

Even Greece? Depends how you play at the world cup not in your qualifying stage. They could be terrible next year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

A_Fitz wrote: »
    England will win **** all, for two simple reasons:

They are already, even at this ridiculously early stage, contemplating/talking about winning it, which will get them precisely nowhere, as we've often seen before.

End of.
    End of? Lol. What a terrible post. In the post match interviews, Lampard and Terry stated that they weren't getting ahead of themselves.

I don't see what this balls/heart/spirit bs is about either, a bunch of these players have had the balls/heart/spirit to win Champions Leagues, Premier Leagues and other silverware.

As an England fan I feel very optimistic about this WC. I'm not going to say that we're in with a better chance than any other of the favourites but the way we're looking under Capello, I honestly believe we're looking a better team than the so called golden generation.

There's no reason for thinking the WC is far beyond this team's reach.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭A_Fitz

Kold wrote: »
    End of? Lol. What a terrible post. In the post match interviews, Lampard and Terry stated that they weren't getting ahead of themselves.

I don't see what this balls/heart/spirit bs is about either, a bunch of these players have had the balls/heart/spirit to win Champions Leagues, Premier Leagues and other silverware.

As an England fan I feel very optimistic about this WC. I'm not going to say that we're in with a better chance than any other of the favourites but the way we're looking under Capello, I honestly believe we're looking a better team than the so called golden generation.

There's no reason for thinking the WC is far beyond this team's reach.

Just because Terry and Lampard weren't getting ahead of themselves tonight, doesn't mean they, along with their manager, team mates, supportes, and the media, won't be getting totally carried away in another few months; they will, they always do.

And yes, there are gifted players in yer team, who have ambition and desire to win, and who have tonnes of medals between them, but how many of those were got playing for England?? I'll tell you: **** ALL.

LOL @ you, Sir! Come back to me at the start of next July and we'll see how "terrible" this post really was

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Why would you even say that? It's just proof that indeed the old thing is coming up again. The moment they win something by more than three goals - let it be a friendly, let alone an actual qualifier - the same thing happens over and over again. How this could be their time and how this time they're better than ever, blablabla...

You know, I'm not actually all that unsympathetic with the English team as such and I do believe they have great players. With that kind of squad we would have probably won the last two world cups.

It's exactly that gettin' ahead of themselves, that whole supporter, media, mega-hype bullsh1t that makes you hate them. The whole 'we're the best, football's coming home' thing. It's not even 'hate' actually, it's hard to describe. It's that feeling how everyone smirks when seeing an arrogant bully stumble mixed with a bit of 'The Office'-like cringiness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

England have lots of players who have won medals with English teams but don't forget that Rio, Rooney, Terry and Lampard wont have Drogba, Essien, Ronaldo, Tevez etc to bail them out.

The English players certainly play a role in the success of the club teams in Europe but it just would not happen without the foreign imports. They don't lack heart, they don't lack belief. They just lack ability.

Sure Lampard, Gerrard and Rooney have their value, but England have no midfielders like Alonso, Iniesta, Xavi etc. In a World Cup, you need good technical players combined with strong players. I think Gerrard and Lampard lack the mental ability to control a game.

The whole get it forward, get shots in approach does not work all of the time. Capello has tried to change that to an extent but there is a big difference between a qualifier against Croatia and a last 8 game in the World Cup against Spain or Brazil. Obviously the draw will play a big role in how far they get. Germany were poor in 2002 but only played one European team in the tournament. If England had South Korea, USA to face on their way they would get through, but if they get top European teams or Brazil/Argentina (Barring a Maradona inspired failure to qualify) I think they will be out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

Watched the game last night , England are playing better than I have seen them play since 1996.

At last they are beginning to resemble a team.

I was cringing inside when the idiots on ITV ( god I hate ITV's coverage of footie ) were going on about the possiblity of winning the cup.

We ( I am English ) are in the finals , thats all . We are playing well , and are in form . But it's a year nearly until the finals.

However at least I have something to look forward to next summer , glad I don't live in England anymore to some extent so I will miss out on all the stupid hype that will happen.

Now lets hope you guys ( ROI ) make it too , although to be honest I haven't seen a whole lot to impress me , but you always seem to pul something out of the bag when you get to big comps .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

May I point people in the direction of the irish media in the run up to the last Rugby world cup? Best Irish team ever, only the all blacks stand in their way blah blah.

All media is the same, it is what they do.

England have a decent chance of winning the world cup, but then so do four of five other teams as well.

the big difference I see with this England team as opposed to previous ones, is there appears to be more hunger, more desire to win. I think the pampered prima donnas suddenly realised that they were no longer idolised by football fans and had become almost despised as just being over paid, over sexed spoilt twats, they seem to have finally got their **** together and started trying to justify why they are paid so much.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Capello is a top manager and England probably do have the players barring injuries to Rooney and Gerard.

In the past i would say that FIFA were relieved when England or more exactly their fans were knocked out of world cups.

I doubt if the fans will be a problem in South Africa. If they are they will probably get more trouble in return than they can deal with.
    White South africans with boer heritage are particularly antagonistic to the English/British.

Football wise they could certainly win it but only one team can and it does not seem to be England that often. Only once and that was on home soil when the rest were probably not as good

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Ireland will win it obv

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

A lot of people need to cop on a bit in relation to this.

England have qualified for the World Cup finals, it itself is an achievement - they are in the process of doing so by being unbeaten (100% at the moment) , scoring more goals than any other European nation so far, and by getting the Euro 08 monkey off their back by beating the team that humiliated them last time, 5-1. It was a great result last night and fair play to the team.

Afterwards Gerrard and Lampard kept their feet firmly on the ground, saying the team still need to improve, which they do. I have seen another interview from Gerrard where he stated the same again.

Yes they have never buried the celebration of winning the World Cup way back when, but it is a remarkable achievment even considering the pool of quality players they can continually call on. There have been many great teams from other nations that have not lifted a World Cup.

If Ireland manage to qualify for the final the press will have a field day over here, Trap will be hailed a saint and given the freedom of wherever he wants in the country. As another poster said the build up from the Irish media for the Irish rugby team in the last world cup was very similar to what people give out about the English for. I'm sure we havn't heard the last of the Grand Slam last year either, it will be brought up and mentioned numerous times during next years 6 Nations regardless of how we do.

England have a great chance of winning the World Cup next summer. The core of their team are in their prime. They have a great selection of players to choose from and now have a manager who has instilled a system that seems to be working. Ultimately a lot of factors between now and then will shape the outcome of the World Cup for them, but they have as good a chance of any of the other top nations. Some people need to put the jealousy aside and accept this, no matter how much the media hype it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

All i can say is LOL

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

realcam wrote: »
    It's exactly that gettin' ahead of themselves, that whole supporter, media, mega-hype bullsh1t that makes you hate them. The whole 'we're the best, football's coming home' thing. It's not even 'hate' actually, it's hard to describe. It's that feeling how everyone smirks when seeing an arrogant bully stumble mixed with a bit of 'The Office'-like cringiness.

An awful lot of what you say about English media "bullsh1t" can also be attributed to the Irish media & their 'bigging up' of Irish football & rugby teams, and yes, the same 'cringiness' applies to Irish mega-hype too! > it is embarrassing, but this media crap is not the preserve of the English.

I think England are one of eight teams that can take the World Cup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Camelot wrote: »
    I think England are one of eight teams that can take the World Cup.

I certainly agree with that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Brazil, Argentina, Spain, Italy...none of them have looked invincible in the last two years

Have Spain not only lost one game in the last three yerars?!

And infact won nearly all the rest, equalling the record for consectutive wins, and set a new record for games without a loss along the way?!
    They went 35 games undefeated, and won 32 of them, drawing 3.

That game against America was the first game they lost since November 06.

Along the way, they did beat England 2-0 about 6 months ago, and played them off the field.

Spain are most deffinately the for team in Europe.
    And infact the world if we're being honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Spain are the best team in Europe alright and played England off the park last year. Holland played England off the park as well this year before they took their foot off the gas in the last half hour.

England are in the probably the worst WC qualifying group and beating the likes of the Belarus, Ukraine and Croatia doesnt make them a great team. They can be compared to the Dublin footballers - all hype and no substance. I wonder who the press are gonna blame next years flop on - Gerrard, Rooney or Lampard? Teams like Brazil would wipe the floor with them and it is only a matter of time before they are found out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

It's stupid to even talk about at this stage.Loads of people wrote the Italians off before the last World Cup and they won it.It's stupid to write anyone off a week before it starts let alone now.

Spain and Brazil are the best 2 in the world atm.People are writing off the Dutch,French,Italians etc but they all have talent in their sides and all are capable of winning it.Luck plays a huge part in the World Cup through injuries,suspensions,penalties etc.Anyone who qualifies can win it when we get to it.There's a long season to go through and injuries can happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Croatia are an excellent team.

Ukraine are a decent side too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭Hippo

Warper wrote: »
    England are in the probably the worst WC qualifying group and beating the likes of the Belarus, Ukraine and Croatia doesnt make them a great team. They can be compared to the Dublin footballers - all hype and no substance. I wonder who the press are gonna blame next years flop on - Gerrard, Rooney or Lampard? Teams like Brazil would wipe the floor with them and it is only a matter of time before they are found out.

No it doesn't make them a great team, but they are contenders, especially with Capello at the helm. And I don't think they're in the worst WC group, not with Croatia and Ukraine there. We're in the worst group!

Hippo wrote: »
    No it doesn't make them a great team, but they are contenders, especially with Capello at the helm. And I don't think they're in the worst WC group, not with Croatia and Ukraine there. We're in the worst group!

:eek:

A group with the World Champions, a team that pushed the Netherlands and Romania all the way in 2008 qualification, somehow not qualifying despite getting 23 points, Cyprus a nation on the up and a country that in a few years team will be a 4th/3rd seed as the 'san marino' of the group. Hardly the worst.

For us its a much tougher group than Englands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭blackbelt

We talk about the European teams such as Spain and Germany that could beat England but I reckon there are other teams there that could pull off an upset in the World Cup.Other European teams like Slovakia and Slovenia would be hard to beat while Russia have cost England before.Portugal and France are other teams who could also bring Englands run to an end.So many teams in Europe there that are discounted and disregarded and this is where the problem lies for England.Add in the hype and pressure and it is a disaster waiting to happen for England and we have seen that time and time again.

Brazil,Mexico,Australia,Nigeria are also fast paced teams from the other continents that have the ability to beat England.So many teams there that can beat them or pull off an upset.Against the likes of Portugal and Spain,you'd have to fancy them even in penalty shoot outs.Holland blow hot and cold but are also capable.

England have a good midfield but their defense and goalkeeper is suspect and as such have only really won their games against weak opposition bar Croatia.I'd tend to go along with the assumption that England are that little bit stronger under Capello and that Croatia have gone back.After that,Belarus,Kazakhstan and Andorra can hardly be considered great opposition while Ukraine are decent at best and when England start running into top teams in the World Cup when the stakes are at their highest,they will fail.It is just a question of what stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭mirwillbeback

Doesnt matter how much form a team is in during qualifying or indeed throughtout the tournament's early stages - eg Holland in 2008 - it all comes down to 90mins against top class teams with strengths and weaknesses and luck along the way.

Can England win it? Of course. Will they? Who knows.

That's why we love the game.

• Advertisement

You can only play what is put in front of you and so far, England have beaten the best of the rest 4-1 away and 5-1 at home.

Regardless of the quality of the group (Which i would argue is not that poor) England are pretty comfortable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭Hippo

:eek:

A group with the World Champions, a team that pushed the Netherlands and Romania all the way in 2008 qualification, somehow not qualifying despite getting 23 points, Cyprus a nation on the up and a country that in a few years team will be a 4th/3rd seed as the 'san marino' of the group. Hardly the worst.

For us its a much tougher group than Englands.

We'll have to agree to disagree then.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Jayob10

some people on here are keen to stress that the Croatia game meant nothing to England compared to what will await them should they play a better outfit in the knock outs of the World Cup. The game against the Croats was a qualifier.

The same people keep emphasising the way Spain played England off the park in a friendly. Surely this will have no bearing on the World Cup either.

Croatia are no mugs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,432 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Spain wont come close to winning the WC imo. England have a good shot and considering a lot of us support a clubs with 1 or more of their players in it we really shouldn't begrudge it. As much as I'd like to see them embarrassed again and the smug faces knocked off all those SSN presenters ;)

Jayob10 wrote: »
    some people on here are keen to stress that the Croatia game meant nothing to England compared to what will await them should they play a better outfit in the knock outs of the World Cup. The game against the Croats was a qualifier.

The same people keep emphasising the way Spain played England off the park in a friendly. Surely this will have no bearing on the World Cup either.

Croatia are no mugs.

True but I still believe them to be a team going back while England are going further forward.Some of the top teams haven't had to get out of second gear in the qualifiers and Spain are looking good with 8 wins out 8.

For England,it is a pity that Scholes is retired as I think his presence in midfield would be more suitable against the Spains,Portugals and Brazils.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,270 ✭✭✭✭briany

England have absolutely steamrolled their way into the world cup and it would be nice to see them do well, but just as long as their media dont go over the top with expectation and I'm fighting the welling urge to see them be sickened.:pac:

Scholes might have been an option 2 or 3 years ago. But not now. While we are in the verve of saying England should have good possession minded footballers, was Scholes not given the runaround by Xavi and Co. in Rome?

England do not need to try and beat Spain at their own game. They cannot and won't do this. As I have said before, their own media demand champagne football. They should be trying to frustrate the likes of Spain, pressing high up the pitch (like Liverpool have done to Arsenal on occasion). Sure it might not be attractive but its effective.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

A_Fitz wrote: »
    England will win **** all,

End of.

wtf!

blackbelt wrote: »
    We talk about the European teams such as Spain and Germany that could beat England but I reckon there are other teams there that could pull off an upset in the World Cup.Other European teams like Slovakia and Slovenia would be hard to beat while Russia have cost England before.Portugal and France are other teams who could also bring Englands run to an end.So many teams in Europe there that are discounted and disregarded and this is where the problem lies for England.Add in the hype and pressure and it is a disaster waiting to happen for England and we have seen that time and time again.

Brazil,Mexico,Australia,Nigeria are also fast paced teams from the other continents that have the ability to beat England.So many teams there that can beat them or pull off an upset.Against the likes of Portugal and Spain,you'd have to fancy them even in penalty shoot outs.Holland blow hot and cold but are also capable.

England have a good midfield but their defense and goalkeeper is suspect and as such have only really won their games against weak opposition bar Croatia.I'd tend to go along with the assumption that England are that little bit stronger under Capello and that Croatia have gone back.After that,Belarus,Kazakhstan and Andorra can hardly be considered great opposition while Ukraine are decent at best and when England start running into top teams in the World Cup when the stakes are at their highest,they will fail.It is just a question of what stage.
    I can't understand the way you talk of these 'decent' teams having the ability to beat England, yet discount the possibility of England winning altogether. It really does just stink of anti-English sentiment imo.

The press are going to be the press, it's people's choices whether they choose to read the Sun/Mirror/Star. Anyone with any sense is not going to out and out say that it's England's to lose. Then again, it's just as idiotic to say they definitely won't win it. As an England fan, I hope these people will be forced to eat their words. But even more so, as a person who can't stand these over-cynical, 'I hope England go out in the group stages' sour grapes voyeurs, I really hope these people have to eat their words.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,049 ✭✭✭Unearthly

titan18 wrote: »
    It's stupid to even talk about at this stage.Loads of people wrote the Italians off before the last World Cup and they won it.It's stupid to write anyone off a week before it starts let alone now.

Spain and Brazil are the best 2 in the world atm.People are writing off the Dutch,French,Italians etc but they all have talent in their sides and all are capable of winning it.Luck plays a huge part in the World Cup through injuries,suspensions,penalties etc.Anyone who qualifies can win it when we get to it.There's a long season to go through and injuries can happen.

Get off your fence tbh.

No one is saying they are going to be 120% right. It's nice to have an educated guess at who you think will win the world cup at this stage.

I don't think any left back in the world is going to fancy playing against Johnson and Lennon at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

I can't understand the way you talk of these 'decent' teams having the ability to beat England, yet discount the possibility of England winning altogether. It really does just stink of anti-English sentiment imo.

The press are going to be the press, it's people's choices whether they choose to read the Sun/Mirror/Star. Anyone with any sense is not going to out and out say that it's England's to lose. Then again, it's just as idiotic to say they definitely won't win it. As an England fan, I hope these people will be forced to eat their words. But even more so, as a person who can't stand these over-cynical, 'I hope England go out in the group stages' sour grapes voyeurs, I really hope these people have to eat their words.

Really??You know this is the sort of thing I see on the GAA forum as regards my own county,Dublin and not once have I ever accused somebody of being anti-Dublin for stating an opinion that a certain team could beat my own and that Dublin don't have a hope of winning the All Ireland.Yes Dublin do get overexposed in the papers and media,especially after a Leinster Final win and this is the same sort of hype that England get exposed to by greedy papers and pundits putting ink to paper to sell to the public what the public may like to read.

My opinion is,England are a contender for the World Cup but there is so many teams there that can beat them and other teams there that I know would probably beat them.Some posters on here have mentioned Brazil and Spain and think Italy and France have gone back too much.I think France,Italy and Germany could beat England and I also think it is worth talking up other teams like Portugal,Russia,Slovakia,Nigeria and Australia as dangerous opposition that could take England under in the knockout stages.

So while I think England are contenders,I don't believe they will win and a fair opinion on that matter doesn't make me anti-English.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

sum1 said its likely ribery, messi and ronaldo wouldnt be at the world cup...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

Aside from the fact that I do delight in England getting beaten and I do detest John '1966' Motson.

They wont win the world cup or any major tournament anytime soon. You can guarantee however that they will talk about winning every major tournament....
    /zzzzzzzzzzzzz.............

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Unearthly wrote: »
    Get off your fence tbh.

No one is saying they are going to be 120% right. It's nice to have an educated guess at who you think will win the world cup at this stage.

I'm going with Brazil as it isn't in Europe.

But it with so long to go til the World Cup and the fact that everyone complains about the English media etc and yet still do the same thing themselves.

Brazil for me too. A very different Brazil but they'll have that winning mentality.

Dark horses for me are Russia and Ivory Coast. Have bets on both :)

blackbelt wrote: »
    So while I think England are contenders,I don't believe they will win and a fair opinion on that matter doesn't make me anti-English.
    Calling them contenders is the opposite of your first post where you pretty much guaranteed that England didn't have a chance. Fair enough if you don't think they will win it but I reckon it's silly to say they haven't a chance in hell.

kerash wrote: »
    Aside from the fact that I do delight in England getting beaten and I do detest John '1966' Motson.

They wont win the world cup or any major tournament anytime soon. You can guarantee however that they will talk about winning every major tournament....
    /zzzzzzzzzzzzz.............

The English media talk about winning the world cup because there is a chance it could happen.

Pretty much the same reason why the Irish media don't talk ireland winning the world cup really ;)

The English media talk about winning the world cup because there is a chance it could happen.

Pretty much the same reason why the Irish media don't talk ireland winning the world cup really ;)

Very smart indeed.However,I'd rather be realistic about our chances and have my feet on the ground than get caught up in a bandwagon and ultimately fail and come crashing back down to Earth with a bang.;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement