Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

whats a good hand sample size for cash games?

Options
  • 09-09-2009 9:46pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭

am nearly ashamed to post this graph as it shows one ginormous swing from just a $50 deposit in heads up SnGs (guess who ignored basic bankroll management and went chasing their losses :o ) though I have worked it back up to a decent profit again.

question is simple what is a decent hand sample size to show your winning / losing player of the long term the graph below is over 10k hands and thats prob no where near a decent sample I'd suspect.

now I wanna migrate to cash and wanna know what a decent sample size would be

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭tipp86

No 10 k is nothing although its probably enough to spot leaks in your game.

I remember someone here writing that they beat 100nl by 20bbs ove 100k hands then just broke even for the next 100 k hands. That says it all really.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭pok3rplaya

wtf you were up $42k at one point?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,513 ✭✭✭RoadSweeper

wow, you're a true degen. WP

• Registered Users Posts: 11,276 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

150419_lg.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

pok3rplaya wrote: »
    wtf you were up $42k at one point?

yes literally playing heads up SnG's so each game I won I doubled my BR which was great while I was SUPER hot and literally could not lose. Not so great when I got raped when I got cocky and tilted like **** and chasing my losses and didnt drop back down levels and lost 40 $1000 SnG heads up in a row :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Felt sick at the time when I went under but learned ALOT (cant stress alot enough :p ) from it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

how many did you win to get to 42k in the first place - less than 100 games? wow

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭thedini

miju wrote: »
    yes literally playing heads up SnG's so each game I won I doubled my BR which was great while I was SUPER hot and literally could not lose. Not so great when I got raped when I got cocky and tilted like **** and chasing my losses and didnt drop back down levels and lost 40 $1000 SnG heads up in a row :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Felt sick at the time when I went under but learned ALOT (cant stress alot enough :p ) from it.
    good rakeback though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

graph is reminisence of broke back mountain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

ugh seriously, you can't edit the graph out with all the replies about it still here. It's torture.

ugh seriously, you can't edit the graph out with all the replies about it still here. It's torture.

I knew I shouldnt have posted it in the first place :mad: Just imagine a sheer faced cliff and you have it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

dude, show us the graph, ul, but you have a cool graph to show for it. :D

no sorry I'm not putting it back up it's plain embarassing TBH

• Registered Users Posts: 2,513 ✭✭✭RoadSweeper

OP, There isnt much need for embarrassment. You basically didnt exercise bankroll management and ran **** hot to build up 42k. Its happened before and it will happen again. Countless people here have done the same. Maybe not to such a degree, but they prob didnt run as hot as you to start.

The only thing you did wrong was not quit or withdraw before you lost it. :)

Chalk it up to experience and use it to make sure you use bank roll management in the future.

Also, 10k isnt a large sample.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭rag2gar

What is a reasonable/large sample for cash game analysis roadsweeper? 50k hands?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

is 10K not a large sample for sit n goes?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭pok3rplaya

@ rag

for winrate analysis? 500k maybe, I'd rather a mil

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭The Tourist

Sample size also depends on your winrate.
    Your winrate will have a confidence interval around it.
    Eg "I am 95% certain that my winrate is X BB +/- YBB".
    As your sample size increases the size of Y decreases and we can have more confidence about our winrate.

Advertisement