Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Keep it or bin it

• 09-09-2009 9:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭

Ok so I'm sure like me often people have pictures that they are not sure whether to keep or bin so maybe we could have a thread for this....

To start with a Howth shot I took today. I like the shot but it screams bland to me, crop it? Keep it? Bin it? Maybe we could use this every once in a while to get a second eye rather than going up the c&c route every time we are unsure about a shot.

3904230707_ed5db442d0.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,406 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

sounds like a good idea, i have plenty of messy shots :D

cropping around the blue section sea/sky may help this, get rid of the trees and green

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 842 ✭✭✭daycent

Hi Rachel,

I think you could improve this shot a lot if you cropped out the tree on the right and maybe a bit of the grass in the foreground. I've held my hands up to it to simulate a crop and I think it looks better anyway :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Crop the golf course part and the tree on the right and it should be looking nice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭oshead

Rachael, Am I allowed to comment on this? ;)

If there was something interesting in the foreground then i'd say keep it. You've got the middle and background, but as things stand, id say bin it. I think I know the spot, maybe next time you go back shoot with a left handed golfer teeing off down the hill.

Dave OS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

I have a few variations although I liked the clouds in this one but when I crop out the green I feel there is too much blue. I find bright blue skies can be quite bland for shots, maybe it is just me. I am shooting a wedding there in the next week so will have more shots with bridal party etc. Maybe I should go with my heart and bin it and wait for some better shots at the wedding. I do have some golfers though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

dustybin.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

This thread has some great timing! A couple of hours ago I had to ask my brother for opinions on a couple of pics, whether I should 'bin' them or not. Kept one and got rid of the other.

Good idea for a thread I think.

Offending binned pic attached.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭LightningBolt

I've a pretty untrained eye but even I'd say bin it!

Is that the par 3 course in Deerpark or is it somewhere else in Howth. I'm not to familiar with the area and I wanna try get some shots in the next week or two if there's another clear day!

It is in Deerpark, par what?:D The castle at the entrance is my main focus point for pics there though, great location for typical wedding shots that can also be processed with my special edits for an edgy effect. Supposed to be a few days clear now. Course was busy enough today, cap park was packed.

Ghost, I'd be in 2 minds over that one also, I do like the angle!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

I have shot down at the castle about two years ago at a Wedding and its superb.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭alb

Generally I think if you have a doubt about a shot, bin it. Of course by bin it, I mean keep it but never show it to anyone :) I don't think it's a good idea to ever delete pictures, bar completely unusable ones like extremely out of focus or whatever. You'd be surprised what old pictures had no meaning at the time but do in the future.

Do any of ya'll actually delete many photos?

I delte a fair amount to be honest when it comes to landscape etc as it is not my thing at all really. I dont really delete people though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

I like to keep landscapes like these you never know when you might need a blue sky for a background or some grass!:D

edit also the islands and the blue sea with some of the trees might make a nice banner image

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Anouilh

Years spent with editors who might suddenly take a notion that an idea from years back could be useful has trained me to keep seemingly valuless photos.
    They can come in handy as transparent masks:

http://en.kioskea.net/faq/sujet-1569-photofiltre-free-alternative-to-photoshop

I like harmonious images and tend to upload only those types to the Internet. Perhaps some edgy, confusing shots could extend the range?

Advertisement