Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Light aircraft crashing in field?

Options
  • 09-09-2009 10:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭

Heard on the TodayFM new at 10 that a small plane crashed into a field just outside Limerick city.

Anyone know what happened, and if those onboard are alright?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Skuxx

Kess73 wrote: »
    Heard on the TodayFM new at 10 that a small plane crashed into a field just outside Limerick city.

Anyone know what happened, and if those onboard are alright?

Surely not another one, same thing happened only about 3 weeks ago!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Todayfm Website
    Emergency landing in Limerick A light aircraft has been involved in an emergency landing in a field on the outskirts of Limerick City. The plane was forced to land at around 7 o' clock when the pilot experienced engine trouble. The pilot escaped serious injury.

not very helpful really.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

Glad to hear Pilot was ok but what is going on lately around the Skies of Limerick....2 near misses in my opinion in 2 short a period of time...

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

steveon wrote: »
    Glad to hear Pilot was ok but what is going on lately around the Skies of Limerick....2 near misses in my opinion in 2 short a period of time...

And those UFO's above the Clare Hills????? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭BravoMike

It happened in the fields between Tesco at Coonagh R'bout and the Country Club pub. Fire and Ambulance were stood down shortly afterwards. After the landing the pilot was seen around the country club probably going for a few drinks to calm the nerves.

• Advertisement

wouldnt blame him......Id be nervous enough getting in one and I'm well used to to heights....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Hangsangwich

glad to hear he is okay. I heard about it but didn't know if the pilot was okay. Nothing in rte news about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭acalmenvoy

Fcukin' flying lawnmowers.....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭highlydebased

What do you mean "near misses"! It was not suggested anywhere that any other aircraft were involved in said accidents!

What do you mean "near misses"! It was not suggested anywhere that any other aircraft were involved in said accidents!

By near misses I mean that it didnt land on a road and hit a car or plough into the side of a house in the nearby housing estates...

• Advertisement

An understandable concern, however whoever was flying took the decision to land in a field for whatever reason,

the idea is to choose a suitable landing site 30 degrees to the left or right of current field of vision. Contrary to popular belief the aircraft does not fall straight from the sky. The said field it landed in was obviously most suitable in this case. In most cases the pilot would remain in control and hence a collision with a house is unlikely (but not ruling out the possibility)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

BravoMike wrote: »
    It happened in the fields between Tesco at Coonagh R'bout and the Country Club pub. Fire and Ambulance were stood down shortly afterwards. After the landing the pilot was seen around the country club probably going for a few drinks to calm the nerves.

Does anyone know if he had a few pints beforehand?
    acalmenvoy wrote: »
    Fcukin' flying lawnmowers.....

Exactly - I wonder how much regulation goes on?
    By near misses I mean that it didnt land on a road and hit a car or plough into the side of a house in the nearby housing estates...

I'd really love to live in a house beneath the Mad Max airspace of Coonagh where dopes fend off their mid-life crises by flying airborne junk around - badly.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Raiser wrote: »

I'd really love to live in a house beneath the Mad Max airspace of Coonagh where dopes fend off their mid-life crises by flying airborne junk around - badly.

Maybe a local with a similar outlook as yourself set up one of these in their back garden. :D

new_zealand_ack_ack_gun_crew_alamein_egypt.16_jul_1942..jpg

Is it confirmed that it was a plane from Coonagh airfield? If so, two light aircraft coming down in Limerick fields over a two week spell does not say much for their instructors tbh.

The first aircraft was privately owned by a member of the flying club, not sure about the second

It was technical issues that both had to land in fields in the first place so really the instructors in the flying club are irrelevant

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

It was technical issues that both had to land in fields in the first place so really the instructors in the flying club are irrelevant

I'd say that the instructors are obviously very relevant but possibly in the opposite way to that first mentioned. If the planes had technical issues and started to go down the pilots are probably to be commended for their flying as they brought a malfunctioning plane down safely.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭oh well

first one was a kit plane on its maiden flight!

The lastest one ran out of fuel .... seems like a fairly basic error to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Firefox10

Kess73 wrote: »
    Maybe a local with a similar outlook as yourself set up one of these in their back garden. :D

new_zealand_ack_ack_gun_crew_alamein_egypt.16_jul_1942..jpg

Is it confirmed that it was a plane from Coonagh airfield? If so, two light aircraft coming down in Limerick fields over a two week spell does not say much for their instructors tbh.

/Goes off to Army Surplus Website's for German 88.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

oh well wrote: »
    first one was a kit plane on its maiden flight!

The lastest one ran out of fuel .... seems like a fairly basic error to me.

Seems like a pretty stupid one to me

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,890 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

jackncoke wrote: »
    Seems like a pretty stupid one to me

StupidIsAsStupidDoes.jpg

:D

Advertisement