Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Identify this plumbing part?

Options
  • 09-09-2009 10:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

Noticed a small leak from under my combi boiler this evening. It's coming from this part but I have no idea what it is. Anyone know what it's called and its function? (It's the silver thing btw)

Thanks

R

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭wing52

To mr it looka like a

Pressure
    Reducing
    Valve!
    It's necesary for keeping the water pressure below 3 bar,to sop your boilers safety valve frim leakin at high temperature or high mains pressure (I.E at night time when demand is lower

Hope that helped:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Makes sense. Any reason why it would be leaking? Too much pressure? Faulty?

And thanks for response

The valve could have just had it's day i'd say.
    Combi boilers put a lot of demand on them because they have to control the mains every time a hot or cold tap is opened.
    Thus they would wear out quicker.

Should have said it's in my apartment, a new build that I've only been in a month. ;)

So I'm guessing it's either faulty or not installed correctly. I'll get on the builder to get it fixed. Thanks, very helpful.

No probem.

Given it's only a month old, a turn of a spanner could do the trick!

I should have asked:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

I honestly never saw this type but dont suspect it is a pressure reducung valve. I think its a spring loaded non return valve. The reason i dont think its a prv valve is the gate valve after it is open. There would be no need for it if it were a prv. however if its a non return valve it would equalise the pressure in the saystem with that of the mains. Something i suspect it is doing. Hopefull this will bring it back to the top for someone else to comment on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Normally in the supply to a boiler there is both a pressure reducing valve and a non return valve. The reason for the pressure reducing valve is as wing52 says, to reduce the water mains pressure to a safe working pressure in the boiler system. A non return valve is to stop the water in the system from returning to the mains and contaminating the mains supply which could eventually get to the domestic supply in the kitchen etc. A non return valve does not equalise the pressure. Some bye laws do not allow you to have an open feed from the mains water supply to the boiler system turned on but do have a gate valve that can be turned on at times to replenish the system in the event of a leak, venting etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    Normally in the supply to a boiler there is both a pressure reducing valve and a non return valve. The reason for the pressure reducing valve is as wing52 says, to reduce the water mains pressure to a safe working pressure in the boiler system. A non return valve is to stop the water in the system from returning to the mains and contaminating the mains supply which could eventually get to the domestic supply in the kitchen etc. A non return valve does not equalise the pressure. Some bye laws do not allow you to have an open feed from the mains water supply to the boiler system turned on but do have a gate valve that can be turned on at times to replenish the system in the event of a leak, venting etc.

Most systems are actually fitted with combi filling loops for the reason you suggested( Non return valve, ball valve and the option of disconecting. dont you think?

They problem with a combi filling loop is it requires a plumber to provide manual sighting of the pressure and use the pressue gauge on the boiler to regulate the presure,

Your right a non return valve does not equalise pressure but this is a combi boiler and this has a mains feeding a direct hot water heater and this is where i think the pressure does equalise. But as noted someone might have a better perspective

I looked at the plumbing schematics for my apartments last night and it has a PRV marked in the location where this valve is.

Of course, I'm no expert, I wouldn't have asked this question if I was! ;)

But thanks for the replies guys, very helpful. Here's hoping it's a quick and easy fix and doesn't require too much messiness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

If its on the mains water pipe (which the tag in the picture says it is), then its a pressure reducing valve. ie. the pressure of the water in the pipe coming to it is too strong and it needs reducing before it comes into your home so that the pressure doesn't damage anything.

I've fitted them on plastic pipes before, but never seen them on a copper pipe (then again I'm not a plumber). Its common that they leak because they are not tightened properly because of the pressure in front of them. They are also very prone to failure, they can clog with sand and silt and block altogether.

Good news is that they can be picked up or ordered from most hardwares at under €20.

But try tightening it first.

• Advertisement
Advertisement