Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

p14 enfield

Options
  • 09-09-2009 10:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭

i see plenty of lee enfields , smle's , mosin nagants and swedish mausers for sale and in the hands of the lads in the classic rifle club , has anyone seen an enfield p14 for sale or even been shot , i thought there would be loads around but they seem scarce and the one i did see in the north was badly hacked around and messed with .

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭TMC121

I have seen and held the P14 Enfield.
    In Bisley this year at the Phoenix show seen a few there.
    They are for sale but you will need to dig a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭sfakiaman

I had two P14's back in the 60's, even then they were not common, probably because people were more familiar with the no4 from military service. I loved the two I had, one with as issued sights and the other with Parker Hale sights, both were very accurate and I'd love to get a good one again. Sometimes see them for sale in the UK and have seen one converted by RPA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

i know the p14 was originally planned to be the replacement for the smle in ww 1 , but the british army got caught out time wise and stayed with the lee , the ones they did have were put into stores and not issued until the second war and then as far as i know only issued to ldf /homeguard , they were never over burdened with ammunition so these rifles must be the most under used and low mileage of all british military surplus rifles .

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Kryten

You think there would be more of them around, having seen service with the LDF and the Home Guard. Seriously I'd love one. And that bayonet, "they dont like it up em you know" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Try this lot in Germany.Im sure they had a few boxes in a couple of months ago[April] www.transarms.de As usual they speak Zer Englisher:D

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

Kryten wrote: »
    You think there would be more of them around, having seen service with the LDF and the Home Guard. Seriously I'd love one. And that bayonet, "they dont like it up em you know" :D

" if he moves pikey boy let him have it , right up "

there must have been a effort to get rid of them ,maybe forced by the quartermasters sick of looking at them , probabily sold back to the states for military surplus collectors same as our no.4's that were never issued .
    they were supposed to be a better rifle than the lee enfield series , modelled on the german mauser action and it was seemingly too big for the .303 round , there should be a few about in .30 06 too .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭HUBERTUS

The P14 was as stated built on a Mauser style action and locked up on the bolt head unlike the No 4 which was rear locking.
    It was .303 calibre same as the No 4, the American version was the P17 in .30-06 cal.
    I won our County full-bore championship in 1969 at 500yds with a borrowed P14 .303 fitted with the vernier sights, we called this SRB [service rifle class B].
    The following year I was County rapid-fire champion at 300yds using the same rifle.
    Happy days of yesteryears.

HWH.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭chem

HUBERTUS wrote: »
    The P14 was as stated built on a Mauser style action and locked up on the bolt head unlike the No 4 which was rear locking.
    It was .303 calibre same as the No 4, the American version was the P17 in .30-06 cal.
    I won our County full-bore championship in 1969 at 500yds with a borrowed P14 .303 fitted with the vernier sights, we called this SRB [service rifle class B].
    The following year I was County rapid-fire champion at 300yds using the same rifle.
    Happy days of yesteryears.

HWH.

I wonder will we ever see them days again here in Ireland? I think I was born to late, or in the wrong country. Even in the guidelines the Gardai are incuraged to find out if the "applicant" might have OTHER reasons for having a cert for a gun :(

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Heres one for you.Eddystone manufacture looks mint ,reasonable price and exportable to here no doubt
    www.egun.de/market/item.php?id=2430205

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Advertisement