Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WW1 War dead

Options
  • 09-09-2009 10:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭

The database for ww1 soldiers and the three nurses who died in ww1 Waterford is now almost complete. I am happy to do lookups, free of course.
    Post your query here.
    Regards.
    Tom.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Typhoon.

Thanks Tom

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭shapez

Hi Tom,

On the off chance where there any Johnson soldiders from either Waterford or Kildare in the War.

Sincere thanks for your time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭enfeild

removed

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭shapez

Tom, sincere thanks for this. Much appreciated.

Glad to help. These men WILL be remembered.
    Regards.
    Tom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

Hi Tom, any chance you could look up any "Furlong" soldiers from Waterford in the war?

Thanks a lot.

removed
    Regards.
    Tom.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Hi Tom,

Would you have any info on a Keown(I might be wrong here but I'll double check and if i'm wrong post again) I think he would have been from Stradbally and KIA.

Edit: The name is Patrick Foran Tom. Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭hellfireie

what about waterfords very own JOHN CONDON

There is a lot on John Condon which I will not post here, newspaper articles etc. Here are his basics;

CONDON, JOHN. Rank: Private. Regiment or Service: Royal Irish Regiment. Unit: 2nd Battalion. Age at death; 14. Date of Death: 24-May-1915. Service No: 6322. Born in Trinity Without, Waterford. Enlisted in Waterford. Killed in Action. Supplementary information; Son of John and Mary Condon, of Waterford. Youngest known battle casualty of the war.
    Grave or Memorial Reference: LVI. F. 8. Cemetery: Poelcapelle British Cemetery in Belgium. He is buried beside a Tipperaryman.
    Regards.
    Tom.

• Advertisement

There were only two Patrick Forans killed in ww1 and they were from Offaly and Limerick.
    Regards.
    Tom.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

enfeild wrote: »
    There were only two Patrick Forans killed in ww1 and they were from Offaly and Limerick.
    Regards.
    Tom.

Thanks Tom, I was right the first time its Patrick Keohan. Thank again in advance Tom.

Here you go;
    KEOHAN, PATRICK JOSEPH. Rank: Wireless Telegraph Operator. Regiment or Service: Royal Naval Reserve. Unit: H.M.S. "Hawke.". Age at death; 22. Date of Death: 15-October-1914. Service No: WTS/149. Supplementary information; Son of Edmond and Ellen Keohan, of 17, Main St, Dungarvan, Co. Waterford. Grave or Memorial Reference: 5 on the Plymouth Naval Memorial, UK.

An article about Paddy that appeared in the Waterford Star will be included with the above information.
    Regards.
    Tom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 nisheain

Has anyone got any details of my great uncle Frederick Johnson who died 06/04/1915. His army number was 3935. I am trying to get details of his siblings. He was from Clonmel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 winterchickens

[FONT=&quot]JOHNSON, FREDERICK. Rank: Shoeing Smith. Regiment or Service: Household Cavalry and Cavalry of the line including the Yeomanry and Imperial Camel Corps. Unit; 6th Dragoons (Inniskillings). Date of Death: 6-4-1915. Service No: 3935. Born in Clonmell. Enlisted in Nenagh while living in Clonmel. Died. Supplementary information; Brother of Mr A Johnson, 41 Barrack Street, Waterford. Grave or Memorial Reference: 1. A. 75. Cemetery: Longuenesse( St Omer) Souvenir Cemetery in France.Check the 1911 census and take it from there.[/FONT]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭Mickdots

big thing in mayors office of all waterford people dead in WW1.

well worth going in for a look

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

[FONT=&quot]JOHNSON, FREDERICK. Rank: Shoeing Smith. Regiment or Service: Household Cavalry and Cavalry of the line including the Yeomanry and Imperial Camel Corps. Unit; 6th Dragoons (Inniskillings). Date of Death: 6-4-1915. Service No: 3935. Born in Clonmell. Enlisted in Nenagh while living in Clonmel. Died. Supplementary information; Brother of Mr A Johnson, 41 Barrack Street, Waterford. Grave or Memorial Reference: 1. A. 75. Cemetery: Longuenesse( St Omer) Souvenir Cemetery in France.Check the 1911 census and take it from there.[/FONT]

Where abouts did you find all the information there? I've managed to find a good bit about my Great Great Grandfather and his son, but many of the records were destroyed in the bombings in WW2.

Post his name and I will give you what there is on him. I only have information on lads who died in ww1 though.
    Regards.
    Tom.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭ArtVandelay76

Hello.
    Can anyone help me out with any information on my fathers uncle who died in WW1.
    His name was John Rowe from clongeen Co. Wexford.

• Advertisement

ROWE, JOHN. Rank: Private. Regiment or Service: Irish Guards. Unit: 3rd Bn. Age at Death: 25. Date of Death: 01-September-1917. Service No: 3668. Born in Clongeen, Co Wexford. Enlisted in Wexford. Died at home. Supplementary information; Son of Esther Rowe of Clougeen Foulksmills, Wexford and the late Nicholas Rowe.
    ' Much regret is felt at the death of Private John Rowe, machine gun section, 1st Batt, Irish Guards, which took place at the hospital in Warley, Essex, on 1st September. Private Rowe, who was only 23 years of age, had seen two years of active service on the western front and had been twice wounded-once at Aix-la-Chapelle and again at the battle of the Somme.
    Private Rowe was a son of the late Nicholas Rowe, Clongeen, who had seen much service abroad with the Royal Artillery. He was a very popular young man, and great sympathy is expressed with his mother, a well-known resident of Clongeen, in her sad bereavement. During the week Miss Rowe, a sister of Private Rowe, received a letter from Father Adkin, Chaplain to the Irish Guards, in the course of which he paid a glowing tribute to the dead soldier’s memory, who, he said, was beloved by his comrades and well liked by his officers.

Grave or Memorial Reference: L. 19. Cemetery: Great Warley ( Christ Church ) Cemetery UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭ArtVandelay76

ROWE, JOHN. Rank: Private. Regiment or Service: Irish Guards. Unit: 3rd Bn. Age at Death: 25. Date of Death: 01-September-1917. Service No: 3668. Born in Clongeen, Co Wexford. Enlisted in Wexford. Died at home. Supplementary information; Son of Esther Rowe of Clougeen Foulksmills, Wexford and the late Nicholas Rowe.
    ' Much regret is felt at the death of Private John Rowe, machine gun section, 1st Batt, Irish Guards, which took place at the hospital in Warley, Essex, on 1st September. Private Rowe, who was only 23 years of age, had seen two years of active service on the western front and had been twice wounded-once at Aix-la-Chapelle and again at the battle of the Somme.
    Private Rowe was a son of the late Nicholas Rowe, Clongeen, who had seen much service abroad with the Royal Artillery. He was a very popular young man, and great sympathy is expressed with his mother, a well-known resident of Clongeen, in her sad bereavement. During the week Miss Rowe, a sister of Private Rowe, received a letter from Father Adkin, Chaplain to the Irish Guards, in the course of which he paid a glowing tribute to the dead soldier’s memory, who, he said, was beloved by his comrades and well liked by his officers.

Grave or Memorial Reference: L. 19. Cemetery: Great Warley ( Christ Church ) Cemetery UK.
    Thanks alot

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Dordie88

Hi there! Just joined boards.ie after seeing this thread.... even though the last post was four years ago I'm hoping someone might be able to help as the info I have is pretty vague. I'm wondering if there was a Nicholas Keohan b. 1888 enlisted in the army I always remember a portrait of him in a uniform hanging in my great grandmothers house. He may have originally been from an area known as Borheen in Dungarvan (now Youghal Road). He was married to an Ellen Allen also from Dungarvan. I understand the only names you have access to are dead soldiers but I am not certain if he died in the service. Any help or info of anything related to the Keohan family from Dungarvan would be much appreciated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

anybody know I could get some info on my grandfather who served in ww1 as a sailor ? He didn't die in the war.

Advertisement