Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

We are going to the playoffs - discussion

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

Xavi6 wrote: »
    When was the last time we beat one?

Italians 1994 me thinks

no actually Holland 1-0, Mc Ateer scored in 2001

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Stacksey

Lets get realistic here, Greece are the only team we have a hope against, France, Russia and Portugal have world class players in every position, its 7 years since we last had a big win(holland) and we had a better team then, so unless we get greece we're on our way to that US cup tournament

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭SWAR

Ye Greece would obviously be the preferred option....and doesn't it just have the makings of two cracking games!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

The general consensus is that we need to avoid Russia.

Aidric wrote: »
    The general consensus is that we need to avoid Russia.

we need to avoid them all

Stacksey wrote: »
    Lets get realistic here, Greece are the only team we have a hope against, France, Russia and Portugal have world class players in every position, its 7 years since we last had a big win(holland) and we had a better team then, so unless we get greece we're on our way to that US cup tournament

Portugal have no world class striker :confused:

Crosáidí wrote: »
    Portugal have no world class striker :confused:

Ronaldo and Simao where playing up front for portugal yesterday and thats good enough for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

we need to avoid them all
    I don't think that's an option unfortunately !

i reckon who we want to draw goes in this order:

Greece
    Portugal
    France
    Russia(worst case)

Greece
    Portugal
    France
    Russia(worst case)

Yeah defo agree with that, it would great to get Greece
    but you could bet on them being the 2 worse games of football
    you'll ever see

• Advertisement

Does the seeded team play away first?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭Pisco Sour

England losing yesterday is a terrible result (never thought id say that). Ukraine overtaking Croatia now means that Portugal will be in the top pot rather than Croatia!!! :-(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭Dun laoire

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Does the seeded team play away first?

No, a draw will be decided for that also

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭dogpile

Greece
    Portugal
    France
    Russia
    (worst case)

I just can't see it, it'll be tight no doubt but we just don't do playoffs (Iran aside)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,270 ✭✭✭✭briany

I am so so gutted the Ireland couldn't hold out last for 5 minutes and win that game. However are the chances are that we would still be going to the playoffs but how unbelievable would that victory have been??? On the upside Ireland can go into the playoffs with a reputation of being a dogged and determined side that no team will particularly relish playing. Also I think the Irish team and their supporters can enter the playoffs, whoever we may draw, with a sense of right on their side because of the seeding fiasco and with a point to prove by flicking the proverbial V sign to FIFA/UEFA's flagrantly biased decision making.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭Rondolfus

Fifa is an absolute disgrace. Changing the goal posts when it appeared that some of the "big boys" wouldn't qualify!

The odds are stacked firmly against us now whoever we draw. Win/Lose I'm still proud of the Irish team.

Strange how this seeded rule only came in to play when France found themselves in second place! Platini and co really need to get a grip!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

i said earlier in the week i dont think we'll qualify, and i stand by it.
    however...

Personally i'd like to get Greece or France.. i'd like to avoid Russia and Portugal, but Russia more so at all costs...
    I think over 2 legs, we could beat france and Greece,or take it to penalties.. but having to Go to Russia and or Portugal with the Style of football they play i think away from home we'd be looking at being beaten quite easily by either of them.
    I'd like to play our first game away from home too if possible, not sure what way that works.
    But if we are to be drawn again top seeds surely we can have home venue when we want it?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

whycliff wrote: »
    i said earlier in the week i dont think we'll qualify, and i stand by it.
    however...

Personally i'd like to get Greece or France.. i'd like to avoid Russia and Portugal, but Russia more so at all costs...
    I think over 2 legs, we could beat france and Greece,or take it to penalties.. but having to Go to Russia and or Portugal with the Style of football they play i think away from home we'd be looking at being beaten quite easily by either of them.
    I'd like to play our first game away from home too if possible, not sure what way that works.
    But if we are to be drawn again top seeds surely we can have home venue when we want it?!

Id much rather Portugal than France tbh. France have a much better central midfield - could you imagine what Gourcuff would do to Whelan and Andrews! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

I think whoever we get we'll stand a decent chance. We don't concede many (and don't score many either!) so it's not beyond us to get an away draw and conjure some big performance and nick something in the home leg. But obviously I'd prefer an away leg first.

• Advertisement

Can anyone say for definate which is the better order, at home first or away first? Both european playoffs we have lost so far, we got a draw at home first and then blew it away from home.

I hope there is no league games in the week leading up to the playoffs.
    It will give the squad enough time with each other and enough time to travel if we get Greece or Russia which are 8/9 hours round trips respectively

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

briany wrote: »
    Can anyone say for definate which is the better order, at home first or away first? Both european playoffs we have lost so far, we got a draw at home first and then blew it away from home.

Yeah, unfortunately the last two euro play-offs were against Belgium and Turkey with better teams then we have now.

Now we have to play of of the better teams. Really makes you wish we had taken more chances in Italy and played better in general against Bulgaria.

Also makes you wish Fifa weren't such big cheating b******s as well though.

Yeah,

Ireland don't do playoffs
    Let's hope Carlsberg do :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

PPeople are right about Russia. Avoid them at all costs ! Any trip to Moscow in the winter is a horrible prospect.

People are ingoring the pig**** state of France and Portuguese football. They have been some of the teams of the noughties, however, neither are the team they were from 2000-2006.

The Greeks are the team all and sundry will want to get. However, I saw enough last night, and over the course of the qualifying tournament to suggest we can push teams like Portugal and France. Naturally, I would fear the effect of players like Ronaldo and Benzema. However. I would be equally hopeful that we might have Duffer, Steven Reid, Folan, and Finnan back, with the possibility of Andy Reid (unlikely) making a return to the panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭population

Daysha wrote: »
    Whether we get to play in Croker in the 1st or 2nd leg is absolutely crucial. If we get any of Greece, Portugal or even France with the 2nd leg at home I honestly think we could pull off something special.

But if we have to travel to Moscow we haven't a hope in hell.

If anyone wants a few easy quid, go down the bookies and put a bet on all the top seeds getting the second leg at home. I guarentee this will happen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭population

Bandit12 wrote: »
    Fingers crossed we get one of the big nations. We seem to always ramp up our game againest the better sides.

Yes but we never beat them

population wrote: »
    If anyone wants a few easy quid, go down the bookies and put a bet on all the top seeds getting the second leg at home. I guarentee this will happen

Yeah. This draw business for the home and away is troubling. How far do you think the suits at FIFA would be willing to go in order to get there preferred teams to the World Cup? :confused:

It is a damn shame that FIFA have pretty much f*cked us over on the seeding issue. Havent given up hope yet of course, but its a disgrace that Blatter is obviously feeling the heat with criticism to award the World Cup to South Africa, so goes out of his away to please the big boys of world football who were struggling to qualify automatically (France, Portugal, Germany) in hoping that the attraction of big teams at the tournament would distract from the farcical organisation of it. Also the fact that his mate Platini's very own France were in trouble makes it even more dispicable. Hope we draw France just to knock the f*ckers out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Are we definitely in the play-offs? There was some drunken talk last night of points against georgia being deducted and therefore it being possible we wont et high enough points for the play-offs

Are we definitely in the play-offs? There was some drunken talk last night of points against georgia being deducted and therefore it being possible we wont et high enough points for the play-offs

That only came about after Bulgaria lost and had no chance of catching us in second. After we got the point last night, we're safe as the post above me has pointed out!

• Advertisement

Yes, we are definately in the play-offs. Here's a link for you to see how it's all panning out. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_FIFA_World_Cup_qualification_%28UEFA%29

Some supporters last night on the RTE coverage were saying how we need to beat Montenegro in order to secure it but they obviously aren't following the numbers closely enough.

sugarman wrote: »
    All this talking of seeding is meaningless at this stage, you do know we can still end up as 1st seeds for the draw depending on results and what teams get a playoff spot.

Ya, but that probably won't happen. At least this way we can revel in our righteous indignation at the cheating so and sos at FIFA.

Het-Field wrote: »
    PPeople are right about Russia. Avoid them at all costs ! Any trip to Moscow in the winter is a horrible prospect.

People are ingoring the pig**** state of France and Portuguese football. They have been some of the teams of the noughties, however, neither are the team they were from 2000-2006.

The Greeks are the team all and sundry will want to get. However, I saw enough last night, and over the course of the qualifying tournament to suggest we can push teams like Portugal and France. Naturally, I would fear the effect of players like Ronaldo and Benzema. However. I would be equally hopeful that we might have Duffer, Steven Reid, Folan, and Finnan back, with the possibility of Andy Reid (unlikely) making a return to the panel.

Not sure Finnan would get back in over O'Shea. I was never a big fan of JOS but he been xcellent in this campaign.
    Archimedes wrote: »
    It is a damn shame that FIFA have pretty much f*cked us over on the seeding issue. Havent given up hope yet of course, but its a disgrace that Blatter is obviously feeling the heat with criticism to award the World Cup to South Africa, so goes out of his away to please the big boys of world football who were struggling to qualify automatically (France, Portugal, Germany) in hoping that the attraction of big teams at the tournament would distract from the farcical organisation of it. Also the fact that his mate Platini's very own France were in trouble makes it even more dispicable. Hope we draw France just to knock the f*ckers out.

I would love to knock France out too, its just a joke. They **** up their positions as first seeds and now get handed another advantage. How there isn't a bigger international fuss about this I will never know.

noodler wrote: »
    How there isn't a bigger international fuss about this I will never know.

Simply because our biggest media source, the British press, dont care because a) they've already qualified, and b) its Ireland. The other big media outlets dont care either because it either doesnt matter to them and they've qualified already (Spain, Holland, Italy) or this suits them because it helps them out (France, Germany at the time it was announced, Portugal).

Simply because our biggest media source, the British press, dont care because a) they've already qualified, and b) its Ireland. The other big media outlets dont care either because it either doesnt matter to them and they've qualified already (Spain, Holland, Italy) or this suits them because it helps them out (France, Germany at the time it was announced, Portugal).

Over on West Ham's KUMB fourms, the English lads are ****ting on the Irish. Eg "Id rather see Benzema and Ronaldo, then Duff and Finnan". They are only too happy that the big teams have been given a huge advantage. Amazingly, seeing as one will put England out, I think they should be looking for all the oprdianry teams they can get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

noodler wrote: »
    Yeah, unfortunately the last two euro play-offs were against Belgium and Turkey with better teams then we have now.

Now we have to play of of the better teams. Really makes you wish we had taken more chances in Italy and played better in general against Bulgaria.

While that is what I was thinking walking home from the game last night. I feel we should be fairly positive at our position.
    If you think about it, we got 2 late goals at home to Georgia, late goal away to Cyprus and a very late goal away to Italy. Without them we wouldn't be even close to the play-offs. It could be far worse.

All this talking of seeding is meaningless at this stage, you do know we can still end up as 1st seeds for the draw depending on results and what teams get a playoff spot.

It's not meaningless, it's near guaranteed we are unseeded.
    You need some unlikely set of results such as Portugal not beating Malta at home and so on.

You know, the story of this Irish team 2008-2009 reminds me of the film "The Mighty Ducks". Take a rag tag bunch of players with little belief, shape or direction, bring in a manager with some good ideas and a game plan and he takes them to the cusp of glory, a showdown with a better side who will be coolly arrogant about their chances but not counting on our pluckiness or resolution. Very saccherine sweet though and could be any sports movie. Maybe we could get a slow clap going in Croke Park after the game if we lose? :)

You know, the story of this Irish team 2008-2009 reminds me of the film "The Mighty Ducks". Take a rag tag bunch of players with little belief, shape or direction, bring in a manager with some good ideas and a game plan and he takes them to the cusp of glory, a showdown with a better side who will be coolly arrogant about their chances but not counting on our pluckiness or resolution. Very saccherine sweet though and could be any sports movie. Maybe we could get a slow clap going in Croke Park after the game if we lose? :)

Fcuk ! Cant wait for the "We are the Champions" moment !

Do we think Trappatoni's dad will pop onto the pitch to congratulate his son after ?

It reminds me of a down on his luck guy doing a deal with the devil. He trades all ambition for a chance to be brought up from the gutter where The evil Doctor (Stan) had placed them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭dogpile

Playoff spots are as good as done in all groups bar the shouting, certainly regarding the 4 teams with the highest Fifa ranking....we're not going to jump 20 odd places between now the and PO's

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Well said, yes beating France just to p*ss off Platini would indeed be sweet!

Another way of looking at this now though, i dont think Portugal or France would fancy us or Bosnia. Would really love to see France gone because of the Platini factor..

Pity England couldnt do us a favor last night and Sweden(In Portugals group) for that matter, they had to lose didnt they!:mad: I dont think FIFA would have been too happy about a WC without France or C Ronaldo!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

You might be on to something there. A 'Flying V' of Whelan, Andrews, Miller, Rowlands and A. Reid would be unstoppable in the playoffs :pac:

Het-Field wrote: »
    Fcuk ! Cant wait for the "We are the Champions" moment !

Do we think Trappatoni's dad will pop onto the pitch to congratulate his son after ?

That would remind me of Seinfeld. Maybe his Grandad would come on to the pitch too:)

Well group 2 & 3 are still wide open aswell as second place in group 6, so depending which teams end up qualifying and whoever finishes in second place we still have a slight chance of finishing as 4th best seed after Russia, France and Portugal (Very unlikely but may not even grab second place).

The update of the current rankings were 2nd Sep. and we're currently 38th, since then we've played Cyprus, S.Africa, Italy and we'll play Montenegero later this week. If we beat Montenegero, that'l be 3 wins and a draw.

With that we'll be set to jump atleast 10 places id say and you have to take into consideration alot of teams will be slipping down the ranks which will see us go up. Such as Bulgaria, N.I, Scotland etc etc...

so we still are really in with a chance of just about nicking it, if sweden had/if they can finish second in their group that could/would have seen us seeded.

We'll just have to wait and see anyway, im not too optimistic but football's never a predictable game.

If I understand correctly Portugal have malta or some bottomeron Wednesday and Greece have Luxembourg so it really doesn't matter. They'll win thoe and no rankings boost will allow us to catch Portugal (17th I think).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Oliver1985

Anyone but Russia lets hope traps luck keeps going!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

The home and away leg fixtures are going to be done in a separate draw after the games have been drawn out
    Seeding and draw

The matches will be played on 14 and 18 November 2009, with a draw for the ties to be held in Zürich on 19 October. The eight teams will be seeded according to the world rankings to be released on 16 October. The top four teams will be seeded into one pot, with the bottom four teams seeded into a second. A separate draw will be conducted to decide who will host the second leg.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_FIFA_World_Cup_qualification_(UEFA)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Would be great to knock France out alright. The draw should absolutely NOT be seeded and this decision was clearly taken based on the number of high-profile teams struggling to qualify. All the teams that finished 2nd in their group have achieved the same thing and it should have just been 8 teams straight into one bowl.

Might be no harm to our chances though, we've always performed best as written-off underdogs. Against the likes of France or Portugal we'd be given little or no chance, and that would suit Trappatoni and the players just fine. I really don't think anyone will fancy playing Ireland, as trappatoni has made us hard to beat.

Watch for the home/away draw to be rigged aswell. Guaranteed that the big teams will get the second leg at home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭givyjoe81

I know portugal will 99.9% finish second but like i said group 2 is still wide open, greece can still go on to top the group sure. It's all very unlikely but you never know.

I roughly calculated our ranking for next month providing we win against Montenegrero, should see us up to around the 20th mark which might cut it depending on results and other teams slipping down/going up a few places.

How on earth did you calculate that?! Thats an 18 place jump, which would i guess be a record leap in one period im guessing. We'd be lucky to overtake NI by the time the rankings come out. 35th at best, you actually have to WIN games to move up the rankings!

Advertisement