Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Photo of the week - Week #10 :: 24th August to 30th of August,

• 09-09-2009 10:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭

163EFC029A8347C284C1A35C8C4BBAFF-800.jpg

Credit: Valentia

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

:D Deadly. Thanks everyone.

I've been asked to say a few words about the shot so here goes.

It was taken in Valentia harbour on the summer holidays, which is when I take most of my photographs for some reason.

I usually process stuff on the fly and treat each picture differently. I experiment until I feel I have something that suits the shot. In this case I was reading a new book on the Iveragh Peninsula and had seen a number of old photos of the area. I just got the notion to do this and another one in the style of the ones in the book.

I converted to B&W in Lightroom. Ran a few presets that I downloaded messed with a few sliders and added a vignette which I faded. I don't think I'd ever be able to repeat any processing that I do. I just tinker 'till it looks ok.

That's it I think. Thanks again for the honour.

Danny

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

Well deserved, it's a great shot!
    Fantastic composition and holds the interest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

+1 great shot & processing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

great shot, could look at it for hours

• Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭positivenote

it caught my eye when i first seen it. Great shot

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Brilliant shot Danny and well done.

BTW, it's sister shot is also a great one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭trooney

Loving it! Although the guy in the air is crying out for a cape! Hope you don't mind?

supergg.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

Oi, you can't mock a masterpiece !!
    /tis funny tho ! :p

@AnCathDubh, this 'photo of the week' thing takes a while to do I'd imagine, theres a fair few 'pages' to thrawl through ! and alot of 'thanks' to count ! :eek:

How F%#kind dare you!!!!!

Only joking!:D

Brilliant. I laughed out loud.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

@AnCathDubh, this 'photo of the week' thing takes a while to do I'd imagine, theres a fair few 'pages' to thrawl through ! and alot of 'thanks' to count ! :eek:

Depending on how busy and the quality of the posting in any particular week, I have it down to the fine art of about 40minutes for the analysis (all manual - though once you find a gem like this weeks winners, you are then only looking for mega good shots after that which are lavishly thanked) and then there may be a moderator selection (which has happened quite a bit - either a tie or multiple image post). Then there is poster notification and often I'll ask if people will give their permission for proposing inclusion on the boards blog. I'll have to ask the powers that be if they can automate anything for me. All in all i'm usually finished within an hour but can be less. There's no guarantee of accuracy but I try my best (some fun when i've had a few glasses of vino rouge I must admit). It is a position at a moment in time.

I can't thank my own post (first in the thread) so here's +1 to all the good sentiments towards Danny. Good on ya!

• Advertisement

As they say at all the best meetings, I'd like to be associated with Morrisseeee's compliments to Tommy for all the work you put in. We take so much for granted these days. (Well I do anyway).

Thanks! :)

Valentia wrote: »
    As they say at all the best meetings, I'd like to be associated with Morrisseeee's compliments to Tommy for all the work you put in. We take so much for granted these days. (Well I do anyway).

Thanks! :)

Aye (the ole chamber speak coming out there Danny ;)). Ta.

To be honest, it's well worth the effort. We have at this stage 10 tremendous select images chosen by the forum membership in our Photo of the Week. It has been suggested that with the quality so high each week that we build a "Gallery of Winners" which I think is a smashing idea. It gives further attribution and promotion to all the winners and gives the rest of us something to look at with green tint in our eyes (Note to self - must try harder :D).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Pacha

Valentia wrote: »
    I don't think I'd ever be able to repeat any processing that I do. I just tinker 'till it looks ok.
    I do the same.
    Bit worrying really because some of my best shots are in small format jpg.
    I know you're supposed to work with layers but I never do. I just work on the picture til I like it.

e2a great picture by the way

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Tommy started the Photo of the Week idea & it's really good. It means more time over & above the normal modding. It's much appreciated & the selection has been great so far.

The rest of us get involved when there is a selection to be made, but 99% of the effort is done by the Black Cat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Pacha

Where is the competition thread by the way?

Pacha wrote: »
    Where is the competition thread by the way?

Just submit your photographs to the random thread. Submitting doesn't mean that you are specifically entering a photo of the week competition i.e. if no one thanks/votes for you you don't have to have any blushes :). The selection is more of an organic selection of the forum users of the week's best without them actually knowing they are doing it at the time (which is all kinda nice).

On the earlier stuff and before I fall over with the weight of honours bestowed on me, you can send them mrmac's direction. If i recall correctly, it was he that submitted the idea to the splendid ideas thread. I on the other hand may send him a baseball bat if I ever catch up with him :D He's so lucky he ended up modding adverts photographic equipment FS or there'd be trouble in these parts :pac:

/reminds me, I need to get back to that ideas thread too. A few additional good things to be pulled out and given the breath of life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,158 ✭✭✭dinneenp

When you say "Just submit your photographs to the random thread" which thread do you mean? As far as I know there's a lot of random threads....

Cheers,
    Pa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

dinneenp wrote: »
    When you say "Just submit your photographs to the random thread" which thread do you mean? As far as I know there's a lot of random threads....

Cheers,
    Pa.

Random photo thread

When it gets to 1,000+ post they lock it and start again.
    The Pic of the week is chosen from the time frame in the title, ie (Week #10 :: 24th August to 30th of August,)

Even if its in the locked one it can still make it here

dinneenp wrote: »

Cheers,
    Pa.

It is the one which is titled "Random Photo Part XIV. DO NOT QUOTE PHOTOS & Photo Size < 800px PLEASE!". It is never anymore than half way down the opening page of the forum - it tends to get a lot of postings and viewings. The XIV in the title will change with each new thread opened, so it is always the current one that you post to.

The rest as Tallon has said.

Advertisement