Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cheap homebrew wine

• 09-09-2009 10:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys...
    One responsible adult looking for advice here... ;)

Im stony broke and back in college and wondering about homebrew wine
    As far as i can see, it can be made with as little as a lot of grapes, some sugar, a baloon, a 5litre bottle of water (emptied).
    Yeast isnt even needed!

I got most of the info tonight just from googling...
    http://www.selfsufficientish.com/grapewine.htm
    http://www.ehow.com/how_5110804_make-cheap-easy-homebrew-wine.html

What do you think?
    Anyone ever try it? Im going to give it a go tomorrow... Hope to sample it as we finish up for xmas!
    Thanks
    John
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭bionic.laura

If you have freshly picked grapes then you can get away without yeast. If you're using grape juice from a carton then you'll need yeast. You can make wine with no yeast but I wouldn't advise it.

The amount of yeast present on the grape skin will be very low. So other bugs that will make the wine taste bad will be able to grow as the yeast concentration isn't high enough. If you use a packet of yeast which costs very little then you can be sure the yeast will start and that other bugs won't get a chance to grow. Also the yeast influences the flavour and a proper wine yeast will give the flavour profile you want.

I'd advise spending 1.50 on some yeast so that you don't end up with bottles of vinegar. It can be got here, they will deliver for the cost of the postage, you don't have to pay the courier delivery price.

I usually make beer but have made some wine and mead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I like the balloon trick!

Also you can get grape juice in supermarkets nowadays, tesco have their own brand which is cheap enough. If you were to actually buy grapes I expect it would be cheaper just to buy ready made cheap wine. Also you could use pressed apple juice which I would favour.

And do buy the yeast as mentioned, you risk losing the lot otherwise and it should turn out better, esp. for beginners. If you are that stuck for money you can half use your yeast making a starter culture and keep the pack sealed and in the fridge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭guildofevil

You don't need to go to the trouble of the punctured balloon. Just make a cap out of tinfoil and sit it on top. This will let the co2 out and as long as the cap is on bacteria won't fall in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Just make a cap out of tinfoil and sit it on top.
    Yes, I used to stuff it with a cotton wool ball, or some doubled over kitchen roll shoved in or held on with an elastic band. Flies can be attracted to the brew so they should not be allowed get in under loose coverings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭slemons

Thanks Guys!
    Im going to buy grape juice tomorrow and try make 5 litres of wine...
    I'll pick up some yeast too.
    I wonder do Tesco etc sell yeast?

Mind me asking how long yere homebrew wine took? Or how it tasted? % alcohol?

Thanks again
    John

Great thread here guys...
    http://www.homewinemaking.co.uk/cgi/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=recipe;action=display;num=1218971587

This is an adaptation of a recipe by B.C.A. Turner.

It is a very simple and cheap recipe but I was sufficiently impressed with the end result that I would like to share it with you all.

1 litre carton Del Monte 100% pure orange juice.
    1 litre carton Tesco’s pure pressed white grape juice.
    1½ lb sugar.
    1 tsp nutrient
    G.P. yeast
    ½ tsp tannin
    1 tsp Pectic Enzyme
    1 tsp glycerine
    Water to 1 gallon

Desolve sugar in a pint or so of boiling water.

Stir all the ingredients into 1½ pints cold water till well mixed and aerated.

Top up to 1 gallon, check initial S.G. which should be about 1.090 and adjust if necessary.

Ferment as usual under air lock. Rack at 1.000 (or ferment to dry and back sweeten) and add 1 crushed Campden tablet plus potassium sorbate.

Clear as per usual and bottle, the wine is ready for immediate consumption but will improve with time.

Serve this medium dry wine slightly chilled. It has a pleasant fruity nose, an attractive orange tint and good mouth feel thanks to the added glycerine.

Enjoy Wink

So to source the ingredients...
    What is nutrient?
    Yeast any healthfood shop should have
    Tannin and Glycerine the same
    PEctin enzyme, campden tablet and potassium sorbate im not so sure...

Any idea's Guys?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭bionic.laura

TheHomeBrewCompany.ie do wine additives. Not all health food shops do brewing yeast anymore. Though some of them have recently started stocking it again.

Advertisement