Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graffiti on UL checkered wall

• 09-09-2009 11:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 253 ✭✭

Hey just wondering if anyone saw the graffiti on the wall outside UL today, it was still there at 6 o clock, on the side facing the road, it said,

"Welcome to Limerick Prison"

in crude red spray paint, looked like a quick job, as the letters were very squiggily.

Makes me kinda sad to think people would go to such lenghts to try and demeane the college and the city like that. Hope that it doesn't have any negative effects with any of the first years moving here...:(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Wasn't it swastikas last year? seen it on the way in about 4pm.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

A few years ago someone spray painted 'Arbeit Macht Frei' on it if I recall correctly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭1huge1

Peteee wrote: »
    A few years ago someone spray painted 'Arbeit Macht Frei' on it if I recall correctly.
    At least that one was a bit more original

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 359 ✭✭pervertedcoffee

I heard about it alright - a bit ridiculous but as a first year I can say it's not had a negitive impact! I'm really loving UL so far :3

Actually, does anyone know why the texture in the wall has changed - some of it is smooth and some rough? Not that I go feeling up walls of course but I can see the difference... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

Actually, does anyone know why the texture in the wall has changed - some of it is smooth and some rough? Not that I go feeling up walls of course but I can see the difference... :D

It hasn't changed, it was built like that as far as I know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

The black and white is supposed to reflect "the light and air from the seasons and the passing of time”.

Now, you learn something new every day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭john_cappa

VivGrise wrote: »

Makes me kinda sad to think people would go to such lenghts to try and demeane the college and the city like that. Hope that it doesn't have any negative effects with any of the first years moving here...:(

oh the drama!!! wont someone please think of the children!!!! give me a break

By starting this thread you have given the culpits exposure

ergonomics wrote: »
    The black and white is supposed to reflect "the light and air from the seasons and the passing of time”.

i always assumed it was to do with cultural diversity

black/white/rough/smooth etc

have you a source for the above info?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,475 ✭✭✭✭cson

Didn't it cost a sick amount of money? I'm all for striking architecture but that wall is bland.

This.... http://www.metaltech-consulting.com/images/chicago_bean.jpg

would have been deadly!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fall_Guy

ergonomics wrote: »

Someone once said to me that it was meant to illustrate that although life sometimes appears just black and white, it is not, and you have to learn to take the rough with the smooth.

Complete bollocks most likely, but it seemed plausible to me at the time!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭jkeire

john_cappa wrote: »

That's like saying that writers who broadcast something bad going on are giving the people responsible more publicity.

Also, it would be fair to say that the graffiti itself, located on the side of a main road, will generate more exposure than a thread on a university forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭snazzy

Saw this today and was talking about with a friend.
    Could have come up with something a bit more original if they were really going to do it.

Thanks ofr the insight on that one... it's interesting but the change in texture just irks me for some reason. I'm just ultra picky I suppose.

In my usual spazzer way I had imagined that someone had tried to blow up the wall and those were the only kind of black and white blocks they could find to match - the things that go on upstairs, eh? lol!

And I reckon if we really want to do some 'guerrilla art' on that thing we should dress up as pawns and climb up on it and make it into some sort of protest against the re-introduction of fees >w<

I can see it now: "Students won't be the govt.'s pawns!!!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

i always assumed it was to do with cultural diversity

black/white/rough/smooth etc

have you a source for the above info?

http://www.ul.ie/newsonline/ulnewsmay03.pdf - Page 8.

And I reckon if we really want to do some 'guerrilla art' on that thing we should dress up as pawns and climb up on it and make it into some sort of protest against the re-introduction of fees >w<

I was asked to sign a petition yesterday against fees and refused citing my reasons for my support for reintroduction of fees and her mouth fell open

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

I'm generally all for graffiti but that was just ****. Unoriginal, bad hand writing, poor placement, terrible colours etc

I think we can rule out the Art and Graphic Design students as possible culprits.

I was asked to sign a petition yesterday against fees and refused citing my reasons for my support for reintroduction of fees and her mouth fell open

That's your own business I suppose - but just curious: you're a student? Actually where is this petition, I must sign ^^-

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 253 ✭✭VivGrise

wow. i was trying to show my disgust at the action, tone down the retarded attempt at sacrasm.
    jkeire wrote: »
    That's like saying that writers who broadcast something bad going on are giving the people responsible more publicity.

Also, it would be fair to say that the graffiti itself, located on the side of a main road, will generate more exposure than a thread on a university forum.

exactly

That's your own business I suppose - but just curious: you're a student? Actually where is this petition, I must sign ^^-

my thoughts exactly.... :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

The chequr board will be will be cleaned naturally, at the discretion of Buildings and Estates.

As for the petition it has already been handed, in person, to the Minister for Social and Family Affairs on Thursday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

I would so do that! :D

• Advertisement

I am fee paying post-graduate student lecturing part-time

No idea where the petition is, a girl in the plaza approached me

I am fee paying post-graduate student lecturing part-time

No idea where the petition is, a girl in the plaza approached me

Well done, full props deserved. I can actually see the point of fees - for those who can afford them. But I can't. I've poured my heart and soul into my education - I know this is what I want, I'm truly passionate about what I'm studying, honestly in my lectures I'm in some state of bliss (I know, I know, power-geek here!!!) and if fees come in they will overlook the more vulnerable of us and I just won't be here next year and it will crush me.

Honestly I have full respect for you because your fee paying but I didn't cause the credit crunch, being here is my dream, why should I suffer for other people's lack of budgeting skills?

But this is completely off topic - my apologies mods - and I saw them cleaning the graffitti today so bye-bye the prison of Limerick. Although judging by the amount of traffic coming out of the 'gates' today you really could be 'doing time' in UL :cool:

@poxyshamrock - Let's get a pawn committe together! There should be at least a few more mad feckers hanging around UL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

and I saw them cleaning the graffitti today so bye-bye the prison of Limerick.
    They only cleaned it today? The last time when they sprayed "Vorsprung durch Technik" or "for the greater good" or whatever it was (yes yes, I know), they were paranoid about getting it cleaned off in hours. Standards are slipping, next thing there'll be less wine receptions at the end of every twoapenny guest lectures.

Well done, full props deserved. I can actually see the point of fees - for those who can afford them. But I can't. I've poured my heart and soul into my education - I know this is what I want, I'm truly passionate about what I'm studying, honestly in my lectures I'm in some state of bliss (I know, I know, power-geek here!!!) and if fees come in they will overlook the more vulnerable of us and I just won't be here next year and it will crush me.

Thats great! Your the person the system needs to protect. Those who cannot afford to pay but want to learn.

Fees should and will be means tested no doubt

Honestly I have full respect for you because your fee paying but I didn't cause the credit crunch, being here is my dream, why should I suffer for other people's lack of budgeting skills?

Other people? who? we all enjoyed the good years im afraid and we most all now take responsibility

Student are still enjoying them. Anyone notice the Q outside the lodge all week. Student have plenty of money. Look at the amount of students that have cars? I understand this is a gross generalisation but most students could afford some form of fee's(not all but most). The free education is not appreciated by many. Look at the amount of repeats every year, class attendances, empty rooms on rag week etc.

Fees were abolished wrongly a little over 12 years ago IIRC, 1996/1997. They were wrongly abolished IMO. The money from fees needs to be reinvested into the system. Begin running colleges like business. Introduction of fees should also equal a higher standard of education. More money to rewrite modules, update them, new books, new facilities .
    At the moment fees do exist, except instead of paying them now, during your education, you pay them later on in life via taxes . Perhaps those who pay fees could get some form of a tax break later on in life? though a system like that would be impossible to implement. I dunno, just some random thoughts.

VivGrise wrote: »
    wow. i was trying to show my disgust at the action, tone down the retarded attempt at sacrasm.

looks like my attempt hit just the spot...

Fees should and will be means tested no doubt

The grant is means tested - I didn't qualify. I know, I know appaerntly my family has money, but for example - if you make 51,000 (approx the grant cut off point) and you have expenses through debt, or otherwise of 50,000 (and may I add it would be the student's family, rather than the student, who created this mess but it's the student who'll suffer) then can you afford to go to college? Means testing doesn't work. Unfortunately.
    Other people? who? we all enjoyed the good years im afraid and we most all now take responsibility

The biggest argument other people seem to have is: 'go get a job for a few years - then go to college'. Which is fine, only maybe they should have done a few extra hours for that oh-so-necessary new kitchen they wanted...then bought it. What's good for the goose...

As for college students having extra money. A lot, me inc., can't afford to go out. Those who can - I know this can be tough to swallow - are helping the economy. That is they're keeping the pub industry alive, keeping hundreds of people in jobs and pumping money through the economy(even if it is tax at first). Those people who still have jobs because of students have a little dosh to spend and well you get the picture...I know some students are a pain (like me right now cuz we're off topic) but they have to pay if they need to repeat.
    you pay them later on in life via taxes

We'd still have to pay taxes if we pay fees and seeing as a lot of us do pay taxes shouldn't we decide how it's spent - i.e. on our fees? I know a tax-relief system sounds practical to you but from the point of view of someone trying to get through college in the first place it's absolutely no good to me.

And the govt. have been rabbiting on for a while for the desperate need for business/science graduates for the recovery of the economy but if they make higher ed. difficult to access where do they think these grads are going to come from? The school of hard knocks?

Anyway, I'm going to shush now before I get banned. Don't mean to snub you or anything cappa :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭Feyy

sceptre wrote: »
    The last time when they sprayed "Vorsprung durch Technik" or "for the greater good" or whatever it was (yes yes, I know)

Thats Audi's german slogan :pac:

Advertisement