Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Another "What Car" Thread..

Options
  • 09-09-2009 11:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭

So I think I probably posted about this before but Ive never gotten around to buying a car.. basically I have to get a car for college (short journey, maybe 5/6 miles). Would only be used for shortish journeys really, to/from college, to friends etc etc.. hence why I don't want to spend too much.. Budget of maybe 2500-3000.

Im currently driving parents 1.5D Saxo.. learned in that and have never driven anything but really..

I have read most of the available threads on here about first car's etc and know that the Fiesta 1.25 is always recommended.. while I don't really like the look of them very much I was just gonna get one and be over with it... (The idea of getting a 1.6 Zetec-s is also in my head, since for some reason it only costs 100 extra to insure over the 1.2 and it comes in a lovely imperial blue)
    I also might be able to get a '00 Corolla 1.4VVTI h/b cheap from a relative.. but won't know about that until next week some time.. (don't like the look of this one either tbh, especially silver).. Im looking for alternatives in the case that I either don't get offered or don't go for the corolla.
    However today I was test driving a few cars (for my sis, who is also buying atm) and Im beginning to think maybe a small petrol would be boring..

Had a go of a 1.2 Corsa today (2004) and it was nice eough to drive but the 1.2 did lack power.. think this would be a nice enough car in a 1.4 but have yet to see one of those in this country.. VRT is a right pain if importing..

Also had a go of a 1.4 Focus (2005).. again, nice car to drive but totally underpowered for a car this size (and out of my price range anyway)

So Im looking for options..
    Wouldn't mind a Golf, but have read that (and can assume from the focus) the 1.4 engine is underpowered and not the most reliable.. I would go for a 1.9TDI except the tax put's me off.. plus everyone here seems to harbour a hatred for TDI's :pac: I don't have an income and don't expect to have one.. Would I be right to assume that the 1.4 Petrol is equally underpowered in Golf derivatives like the Leon?

Im actually afraid this could turn into a rant, it just pisses me off that so many of the cars here are so ****e and low spec (and our tax system is a rip off compared to Englands, And VRT is a joke etc etc..)

So, does anyone have any other suggestions? I think I have checked most options but just said Id throw this up in case I missed anything..

Going around to a few more garages Saturday so hopefully I can test drive a few more cars (including the 1.25 Fiesta's)
    Anyone know if the 1.25 engine in the >03 range is the same as the engine in the previous model? Reason being that I will probably be trying a newer model but I would be buying the previous one myself..

Btw Id rather low insurance categories.. Im 20, licence 1 yr, no ncb only named driving exp. To give you an idea quinn quote me 870 online for a 1.25Fiesta.. I think about 1050 for a 1.9TDI.

Thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

€2500 to €3000 will get you alot of Fiesta but think about your current circumstances. You are a student with no income and insurance is going to be expensive so I would forget about a 1.6 Zetecs or 1.9 TDi for the moment anyway.

The 1.25 litre Fiesta is a cracking little car and they can be got for small money these days. Remember Rome wasn't built in a day so I would advise to start off on one of these and then when you have an income and you're insurance comes down then you can start looking at other options.

Something like this for example:
    http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=200930194668714

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

bazz26 wrote: »
    €2500 to €3000 will get you alot of Fiesta but think about your current circumstances. You are a student with no income and insurance is going to be expensive so I would forget about a 1.6 Zetecs or 1.9 TDi for the moment anyway.

The 1.25 litre Fiesta is a cracking little car and they can be got for small money these days. Remember Rome wasn't built in a day so I would advise to start off on one of these and then when you have an income and you're insurance comes down then you can start looking at other options.

Something like this for example:
    http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=200930194668714

+1, nice cars, plenty of them about, and the 1.25 zetec is a great little engine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

Redisle wrote: »
    (short journey, maybe 5/6 miles). Would only be used for shortish journeys really, to/from college, to friends etc ... Budget of maybe 2500-3000.

I think most of the choices you list are way over the top for what you need. A Golf is a great big family hatch, and needs a 2.0 litre engine with all the associated costs. You can get away with something really tiny. I drove one of these for years, and they are brilliant fun (just don't crash!) :

Seicento Sporting €1850

This one has leather seats!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Go with the 1.6 Fiesta. Good engine in a very tidy handling car. It'd blow a TDi golf into the weeds on a back road from a drivers point of view.

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭useless

Redisle wrote: »
    basically I have to get a car for college (short journey, maybe 5/6 miles). Would only be used for shortish journeys really, to/from college, to friends etc etc..

5-6 miles? get a pushbike. Students with cars, what's the world coming to...:rolleyes:

:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Redisle

Thanks lads. Think im gonna test out a Fiesta or two Saturday before making up my mind.. if the 1.25 is sufficiently quick-ish il stick with that most likely.

Ahh.. when I say 5/6 miles it's not exactly smooth flat roads.. Huge huge hills all the way :p

Plus where Im living I really can't go anywhere without a car.. sort of an out the country but near the city location where there's no public transport..

Advertisement