Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do O2.ie allow YouTube streaming?

• 09-09-2009 11:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭

Except on the iPhone. Oh, and except for O2 TV.

Found this posted here: http://forum.o2.co.uk/viewtopic.php?p=55424
    Streaming audio/video flies such as youtube is considered a breach of the o2 airtime terms & conditions with the exception of the iPhone. Information on the iPhone handset & tariff can be found at the below link.

So, there you have it. It makes absolutely no sense to me. Surely O2 would *want* people spending money on their data tariff?

The only reason which might be plausible is that O2 are worried about streaming audio/video overloading their mobile broadband connections. (Or they could be worried about people not buying their iPhone or subscribing to O2 TV)

So, my question: Do any other operators not allow Youtube?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Why didn't you put o2.UK in the title, to save confusion. As of course youtube is fine here in ROI on o2 ireland.

Also not 'supporting' it is not the same as 'not allowing you' to access it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭tonyj

Davy wrote: »
    Why didn't you put o2.UK in the title, to save confusion. As of course youtube is fine here in ROI on o2 ireland

I'm in ROI - I can't get YouTube to work on my Samsung Jet, here's the reply I got from O2:
    They are only for O2 TV as we don't support YouTube on Samsung handsets

So is it only certain combinations of regions or handsets which aren't supported? I'm even more confused now.

Out of curiosity, are you able to get Youtube on an O2 handset? (If so, I'd really appreciate if you could pm me the network settings, as I've spent a few days on this issue already)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

I have never had a problem with youtube on o2 here, (one that i can remember anyway)

Usually any youtube related problems here are on the meteor network.

The first thing i would say, id can you use the phone to browse the internet on an o2 data connection 3g/edge? (not a wifi connection)

Davy wrote: »
    The first thing i would say, id can you use the phone to browse the internet on an o2 data connection 3g/edge? (not a wifi connection)

Yes. I've done the following:

- The phone can browse the internet fine (on 3G/EDGE/3G+)
    - Email send/receive is fine
    - MMS send/receive is fine
    - When I browse to m.youtube.com and click a video the media player pops up, after a few seconds it reports 'connection failed'
    - I've tried changing the media player connection profile to the standard O2 mobile profile - no joy
    - I then connect using wi-fi, and YouTube plays fine on the media player
    - I can only conclude that I either have the wrong settings for O2, or that O2 are blocking YouTube at their end.

I've posted the issue on the O2 IE forums, and was told they don't support YouTube on this handset. So I was curious if they supported it on other handsets, which led me to the quote in my original post.

I'd love to hear if anyone on O2 has YouTube working on their (non-iPhone) handset, as that means I have some hope of getting the settings from them. I mean, how can O2 block a specific handset? - Or is it the case that the handset model is sent to the O2 streaming server before it establishes a connection?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

I saw this thread regarding the same subject.

The only way that I think that O2 could be allowing only iPhone users from accessing YouTube is if they have an IMEI whitelist setup. If that is the case, I can't see anyway around it. In saying that, I do doubt that this is what they have done, but until someone can advise further, that seems the most logical assumption.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

I'm on o2 billpay and youtube works fine in my E71.

tallus wrote: »
    I'm on o2 billpay and youtube works fine in my E71.

Hey tb, fancy meeting you here! ;)

Okay, here we have it. After three days of googling and messing with settings, I have the answer.

Menu / Settings / Network Settings / Connections / Create

Name: whatever
    Bearer type: UMTS
    Access name: open.internet <--- the secret!!
    Auth type: Normal
    Userid / password: blank
    Protocol: HTTP
    Home URL: http://www.o2.ie
    Leave the rest as default

And then associate that new connection profile with the Media Player VOD;

Settings / Application Settings / Media Player / VOD Settings

I finally realised my mistake when I copped on that the Jet is configured more like a netbook than a phone and I should actually using the broadband settings from here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=60240343&postcount=5

What's the difference between a device that has all the 'GPRS / WAP / MMS' profiles with the APN names, and devices that just have 'internet' as the Access Name without all that URL, IP address or proxy stuff?

Advertisement