Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disgraceful double standards - Shame on Boards

Options
  • 10-09-2009 12:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭

From a thread on the laptops froum about places to get your laptop repaired.
    One person is not allowed link to his website, but then 2 posts later another another person is allowed.
    Link :
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=62037756&postcount=84
    Shame on Boards.
    And shame on whoever deleted my post about this last night
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

shame on you for taking the thread off topic by questioning the mod on thread, which ip against the rules. This thread should be in helpdesk too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭feb09

I am offering some feedback on the website.
    If this is not the correct forum then this forum has the wrong name

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Gazza22

Well you've got the wrong idea of Boardsie feedback then. You have an issue with moderation, which is Help Desk

• Registered Users Posts: 30,265 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

does seem a bit unfair... don't get the request part

Nerin wrote: »
    This thread should be in helpdesk too.

"Its the place where you feedback to us what you like (or dislike) about the site.
    Dont be afraid to criticise,"

The above is a quote from devore so this is the correct froum.
    taken from this thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=146608

I dislike the way this site is allowing some people to advertise and not allowing others

• Advertisement

don't get the request part

after the mods deleted one users advert, they actually requested that another user advertise his site

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

I don't see which part of this is unclear :confused:
    The first guy signed up to spam his site. The second guy is a good contributer to boards and asked the permission of the mods before posting. We don't like it when people spam their stuff and then piss off. It's free advertising for them and they don't deserve it. People who contribute to the site and have been here for a while we generally give them a bit of leeway on things like this. They help boards.ie by providing advice to users etc. so boards.ie helps them a little.

If you have a problem with this then please take it up with the admins in the help desk (http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=30). Please don't discuss it on thread again as it will just de-rail the thread. thanks.

An established community member who is a net contributor to boards is normally given some slack.
    Someone who posts the same thing for free advertising and hasn't previously contributed isn't afforded the same grace.

Steve wrote: »
    I don't see which part of this is unclear :confused:
    quote]

none of that is unclear

• Registered Users Posts: 30,265 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

yep, a user with 1 posts, that explains it

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

feb09 wrote: »
    none of that is unclear
    Don't get me wrong, I'm just trying to explain how this site works and why what happened, happened. :)

Do you still think that someone who signs up just to promote themselves and their business should be allowed to? If that were the case then the site would be full of people selling *stuff* and nobody would be interested in participating in the discussion.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

does seem a bit unfair... don't get the request part

In Sully's post the mods didn't request he post it. He asked us (the mods) if he could post it. Given his history on the site as a useful contributor he was allowed to post it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

It's hardly disgraceful, shameful or double-standards though, is it? One is a spammer, the other is not. One helps and contributes, the other does not. One asked for permission, the other did not.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

First post and a user spams a link to their site. Any mod knows thats a spammer
    Its clear that they signed up to pimp their site!

Sully has been around boards for a long time and even requested permission to post his link

No double standards at all.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement