Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Argentina may miss Finals next summer ;)

• 10-09-2009 1:54am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭

Shocking, it wont be the same without them!! The world cup is what it is because of Brazil, Argentina, Germany, Italy...

Obviously its not over til the fat lady sings, they still might make the playoffs but with 3 games remaining they have to hope for...

Chile not to get a single point from their remaining 3 games.

Argentina to win their remaining two.

Its looking incredibly grim for them.

It could all be over for them by the time we wake in the morning if Chile manage something spectacular against Brazil later this morning.

Someone upload a huge fail pic please, 5th place gets a home and away game against the 4th placed team from North,Central America & Caribbean.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Headshot wrote: »

As it stand s it would be Argentina vs the mighty Costa rica to make it to the WC.

i know Maradona is seemingly incompetent as a manager but its just a tad early imo to say they are going to miss the finals next summer...just a tad bit early.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭NoelJ

Yeah if they dont make it. Where will all the good goals come from?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

FearDark wrote: »
    Shocking, it wont be the same without them!! The world cup is what it is because of Brazil, Argentina, Germany, Italy...

Obviously its not over til the fat lady sings, but with 3 games remaining they have to hope for...

Chile not to get a single point from their remaining 3 games.

Argentina to win their remaining two.

Its looking incredibly grim for them.

It could all be over for them by the time we wake in the morning if Chile manage something spectacular against Brazil later this morning.

No, not quite. Chile result is fairly unimportant to them. In no way is it all over for them. The next home game is at home to Peru who are bottom and easily the worst team in the section. Ecuador, Columbia and Uruguay all have tough run ins. Even if they only finish fifth it's almost a gimme as they face 4th place team from Concacaf region in anyway
    But they are playing terribly and the fact there is even an doubt says how bad a job Maradona has done with them.

As it stand s it would be Argentina vs the mighty Costa rica to make it to the WC.

i know Maradona is seemingly incompetent as a manager but its just a tad early imo to say they are going to miss the finals next summer...just a tad bit early.

Argentina's last match is against Uruguay (away to Uruguay)who are a very good side and only 1 point behind Argentina so anything is possible

• Advertisement

how they are doing could actually be a blessing in disguise as it could lead to Maradona getting sacked and if that happens they actually have the talent in their player pool to not only qualify but win the WC.

how they are doing could actually be a blessing in disguise as it could lead to Maradona getting sacked and if that happens they actually have the talent in their player pool to not only qualify but win the WC.

kinda reminds me of the Spain situation before Bosque took over

unreal side but has no guidance

Someone upload a huge fail pic please, 5th place gets a home and away game against the 4th placed team from North,Central America & Caribbean.
    mara2.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

\never posting in the soccer forum again!

\never posting in the soccer forum again!

chin up dude in comparison to Maradona's failure as a managar (esp compared to his own playing days) all other failures inc your own seem miniscule. Even the fact that Argentina are in this position is laughable and worthy of discussion but as Headshot pointed out they could miss out on that playoff spot too. Its a fail of epic proportions atm hense him being referred to as the Argentinian Stan right about now

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Thanks man...

I dont feel so bad now.

\loosens noose...

can mods sticky this thread please

it was a good fail

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭dannydiamond

NoelJ wrote: »

Did you not see the England game tonight? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

Are argentinas two remaining games really against Paraguar (2nd) and Uruguay (6th), if so they are pretty screwed like, winning both will be very tough, Uruguay could yet qualify

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

curry-muff wrote: »
    Are argentinas two remaining games really against Paraguar (2nd) and Uruguay (6th), if so they are pretty screwed like, winning both will be very tough, Uruguay could yet qualify

Peru, not Paraguay. Paraguay beat them tonight, Peru are bottom of the group.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭Idu

Except that Aragones was the manager when they won Euro 2008

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,732 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Maradona is doing his upmost to fook it up.

I still think they will get there though, they really have so many chances.

Still thought the prospect of having 2 of the best players in world football not in South Africa in the summer is depressing as the Portuguese don't really look a safe bet either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

He has used over 60 different players in 5 matches. The bench last night had a few uncapped players - one 36 year old defender plus Martin Palermo, the veteran striker who hasnt played international football since 2000. Last week against Brazil he tried a new centre-back pairing, 2 guys who play for the same club in Argentina. Last night guess what, they were gone.

His tactics and selections are a joke and this is the worst I have seen Argentina play ever. Maradona wont go unless he is pushed - hear some of his quotes "I will continue while there is a drop of blood left in me" etc.

Riquelme refuses to play as Maradona slated him as a media analyst. They havn't a hope of winning the WC next year with him at the helm despite having arguably the best sqaud at the WC. What are they going to do? Fans, unthinkably are turning against him as well. Towards the end of the Brazil match a section of the Argentinian fans started chanting "Dunga,Dunga,Dunga".

They play Peru at home next in a must win match. They will probably lose their last game away to Uruguay. Who knows if they get through? Who knows what team they will put out? They are a shambles but one thing is true the WC just wouldnt be the same without them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

NoelJ wrote: »

In fairness, Italy's two last night were quite special.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭FreeOSCAR

Boggles wrote: »
    Maradona is doing his upmost to fook it up.

I still think they will get there though, they really have so many chances.

Still thought the prospect of having 2 of the best players in world football not in South Africa in the summer is depressing as the Portuguese don't really look a safe bet either.

Ah dont worry, Iniesta and Kaka will be there to entertain. Will miss Messi though, not the winker.

60+ Players selected and no Higuain in the Squad never mind Team.

Your a joke Diego, time to stand down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

If Argentina don't qualify I will have zero sympathy for them. The qualification format for the South America region is the most fair of all the regions. A lengthy league campaign should serve to lesson luck as a factor. If Argentina can't get into the top four from such a method then they don't deserve to be there.

And then, if they can't beat one of Costa Rica / Honduras / USA / Mexico over two legs for all the gold then I won't be weeping at their absence from the competition.

The Maradona thing was something they had to do at some point. If they fail to qualify and he gets the sack, then Argentinian football can move forward with a clean future.

Finally, while some of his selections have been bizarre, the inclusion of Veron against Brazil was reasonable. Veron led his team to the final of the Copa Libetadoras and had a phenomenal last season in South America. I don't think you should ever really criticize a coach for trying to pick players that are in form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

You do know that Spain won Euro 2008 quite emphatically without Del Bosque?

Argentina have so much potential depth it's crazy. I'd probably pick;

Pato

-Zanetti
    Samuel
    Milito----Heinze---

Cambiasso
    Mascherano

Lucho

---Messi
    Higuain
    Zarate

And still there's no Veron, Aguero, Tevez, Riquelme, and about 10 other very good players.

Advertisement