Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deposit and Itinerary

Options
  • 10-09-2009 3:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

I rented an apartment just over a year ago from a letting agency and we renewed for another year so have about 9months left on the lease. At the time the agency gave us an itinerary sheet of what was in the apartment - ie how many spoons, lamps etc which was supposed to be run through, agreed and signed by both us the tennants and the landlord. This was never done - we just got the itinerary sheet with two blank spaces for signatures. This didnt really match with what was in the apartment - ie there was things on the list that werent in the flat and vice versa. Stupidly I did not correct the form and return it to them - or even say anything.

OK on that list are things that have never existed in the property, most worringly a vacuum cleaner. I dont mind not having a vacuum as there are no carpets - all wooden floors / tiled.

Technically could they charge us from the deposit the cost of replacing the 'imaginary hoover' even though we did not sign the forms agreeing to its existence? For example could they say we should have informed them when we moved in if things were missing?

There were supposed to be 8 of everything in the kitchen I dont think there's 8 of anything! I dont mind replacing the odd plate I can get them from Dunnes for a euro each it wont kill me but the hoover is just galling. Also there are also a few additional items with the flat that arent included on their list which seems to be a standard list for that letting agency.

OK I wasnt worried before but the attitude of the letting agency has been revealed as 'see what you can get away with'. For example things that were mentioned in the advert are now 'not part of our rental agreement' - at first they said that 'just because it was in the advert didnt mean anything' - later they denied that the advert ever contained any such words. In other words they know I cant prove anything at this stage so its fair game for them. There are other things that have given them away to me as chancers but again I cant prove anything I just know they contrdict themselves and break verbal agreements.

I am now asking for things in writing when previously a verbal agreement would have satisfied me and they seem to be picking up on this. I have also made recordings of conversations in their office on my phone - great as its not as obvious as a massive tape recorder. This is one of the few areas left where I feel vulnerable to their grubby hands.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Pete4779

If you haven't signed it, and they don't have a signed copy by you on their file, you are fine. At this stage, simply make the corrections for the contents on the inventory list and wait until it's time to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Jo77

Pete4779 wrote: »
    If you haven't signed it, and they don't have a signed copy by you on their file, you are fine. At this stage, simply make the corrections for the contents on the inventory list and wait until it's time to go.

Thanks Pete - much more concise than my own effort too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Keep an eye out on Lidl or Aldi. They usually have a hoover or some sort every so often.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

I'd imagine the landlord is being cute when it comes to tax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Jo77

Thanks syco and stepbar ;)
    Actually the property is registered with PTRB. But I only know about them (PTRB) thanks to boards :D I was slightly disappointed but at least it shows they fear someone! Can't stand this cute-hoorism either. Most of the mess we're in is down to that and people ignoring / admiring it! End of rant ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

Jo77 wrote: »
    Thanks syco and stepbar ;)
    Actually the property is registered with PTRB. But I only know about them (PTRB) thanks to boards :D I was slightly disappointed but at least it shows they fear someone! Can't stand this cute-hoorism either. Most of the mess we're in is down to that and people ignoring / admiring it! End of rant ;)

And it's probably due to the fact that you can reduce your tax bill due to depreciation on contents (allowances for wear and tear). Probably not from Knives and Forks thought :D

Advertisement