Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

It if were up to you......

• 10-09-2009 4:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭

.....who would be in the Irish squad, that isn't currently being picked??

For me it would be:

Morisson
    Andy Reid
    Carsley
    Fahey
    Ireland (only if the players were totally cool with it)
    Alan Quinn
    Lee (maybe)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

A_Fitz wrote: »
    .....who would be in the Irish squad, that isn't currently being picked??

Messi

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Morisson
    A.Reid
    McCann
    Delap (Great weapon to have on the bench)
    Carsley
    Delaney

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Mr Maroon

Delap
    Morisson
    Ireland
    Brian Murphy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭ANTIFA!

Brian Murphy
    Andy Reid
    Keith Fahey
    Steven Ireland
    Chris McCann
    Clinton Morrison.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,570 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

For a first team it would be:

Given

Kelly
    Dunne---O'Shea---Kilbane

Duff
    Ireland--S. Reid---McGeady

Keane---Doyle

With options on the bench or in the squad for:

O'Shea -> St. Ledger
    Dunne -> O'Dea
    Duff -> Lawrence
    McGeady -> Hunt
    Ireland -> Fahey
    S. Reid -> Andrews
    Keane/Doyle -> Folan
    Kilbane -> Nolan

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Y2J_MUFC

Andy Reid,
    Stephen Reid (when the leprosy wears off),
    Lee Carsley (better than Whelan IMO),
    Clinton Morrison (he scored a few important goals for us tbf to him),
    Rory Delap (if your going to play Doyle/Folan or Best),

I'd keep a close eye on Fahey, McCann and James McCarthy over the next few months.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

........................Given

Finnan......Dunne.......O'Dea.....O'Shea

Duff.......S.Reid......S.Ireland...McGeady

.................Doyle....Keane

Subs:

GK: B.Murphy, D.Kiely
    Def: St Ledger, K.Foley, Kilbane
    Mid: Lawrence, Carsley, R.Delap, A.Reid, S.Hunt
    Att: C.Morrison, Folan

(23 man squad)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

I'm leaving out Ireland, he's Irish, but he's not an Ireland player.

........................Given

Finnan......Dunne.......O'Dea.....O'Shea

Duff.......S.Reid......L.Carsely...McGeady

.................Doyle....Keane

Westwood
    DeLap
    A.Reid
    C.Folan
    L. Lawrence
    S.Hunt
    C. Morrison
    K.Kilbane
    S.StLedger
    D.Gibson or G.Whelan
    S. Kelly
    Last place would be up for grabs. Fahey, Best, McCarthy. I'll send me scouts:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I'd throw in some Eircom League hatchet man just to hoof the ball into the stands and keep the "real football fans" satisfied

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

I'd throw in some Eircom League hatchet man just to hoof the ball into the stands and keep the "real football fans" satisfied

Well yous get your English and Scottish player(s) so the least Trapp could do is throw in an LoI player, which according to the indo today he's considering!;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

ANTIFA! wrote: »
    Brian Murphy
    Andy Reid
    Keith Fahey
    Steven Ireland
    Chris McCann
    Clinton Morrison.

+ O Garvan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

I just cant understand how Delap isnt in the squad for his throws. He causes untold trouble for premiership goalkeepers so could you imagine how some of the dodgy keepers we see in international football would cope?

Caleb Folan/Best/Doyle are all big lads and are all good in the air. Would give us an extra option even from the bench.

apart from that

Stephen Reid (when hes fit im sure hel be back)
    Andy Reid
    Stephen Ireland (if the rest of the squad want him back)
    Clinton Morrisson
    Lee Carsley

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭bUILDERtHEbOB

Tbf, you'd see more 'football' being played at a LOI game than at an Irish international match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Finnan is muck. Sorry.

****e post.

Bohs would keep the ball far better than that Irish team at the moment can. Joey Ndo(ok not able to play for ireland) has more brilliance when he wants to than either andrews or whelan put together.

****e post.

Bohs would keep the ball far better than that Irish team at the moment can. Joey Ndo(ok not able to play for ireland) has more brilliance when he wants to than either andrews or whelan put together.
    Thats why they play premiership football and he plays LOI....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,519 ✭✭✭✭noodler

8-10 wrote: »
    Finnan is muck. Sorry.

He is injured,ageing and may never play again for his country but muck?

No he most certainly is not and never was. Which performance have you seen from him recently that led you to form that strange opinion?

You should be sorry by the way, outrageous thing to say - last games he played for Ireland happened to coincide with the best performances of Trap's reign against Georgia and Montenagro away.

Honest-to-god though, "Finnan is muck" - what a simplistic, OTT remark. Surely you meant he is passed it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Jayob10

My ireland squad for the WC (in an ideal world) would be:

GK: Given, Westwood, Kiely

DEF: Finnan Kelly Dunne St.Ledger O'Shea O'Dea Kilbane

MID: McGeady Duff Gibson Delap Fahey S.Reid Carsley A.Reid Lawrence

STR: Keane Doyle Morrison Folan

Given

Delap
    Dunne
    O'Shea
    Finnan

S.Reid
    Carsley

McGeady
    Keane
    Duff

Doyle

Westwood, St.Ledger, Kelly, Gibson, Lawrence, A.Reid, Morrison

Before anyone pulls me up on Delap, he played many times at right full for Derby and Stoke. Hes a solid pro who would provide a bit of balance and experience on the right hand side allowing Finnan to switch to left back.

Also Trap needs to stop taking the mick and get Clinton Morrison back in the squad. There are many games where Leon Best is a sub when Morrison starts for Coventry and impresses. Surely his backroom team must notice this if they are having Best monitored.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

joe123 wrote: »
    I just cant understand how Delap isnt in the squad for his throws.

Because it's not American Football and there are no special team plays allowed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

****e post.

Lol I think that Italy and Bulgaria might just be a fraction ahead of the likes of Bray Wanderers and Sligo Rovers but perhaps im wrong :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

its also interesting to have a look at who would be dropped.

All dropped from the current 26 man squad while I make up my 23 man squad:

Keiren Westwood
    Stephen Kelly
    Paul McShane
    Eddie Nolan
    Keith Andrews
    Darron Gibson
    Liam Miller
    Glenn Whelan
    Leon Best
    Andy Keogh
    Shane Long

no major losses there as far as im concerned.

of course i did include S.Ireland so there is room for one of Whelan/Andrews/McCann/McCarthy/Gibson to impress me :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Average-Ro

Jayob10 wrote: »
    My ireland squad for the WC (in an ideal world) would be:

GK: Given, Westwood, Kiely

DEF: Finnan Kelly Dunne St.Ledger O'Shea O'Dea Kilbane

MID: McGeady Duff Gibson Delap Fahey S.Reid Carsley A.Reid Lawrence

STR: Keane Doyle Morrison Folan

Given

Delap
    Dunne
    O'Shea
    Finnan

S.Reid
    Carsley

McGeady
    Keane
    Duff

Doyle

Westwood, St.Ledger, Kelly, Gibson, Lawrence, A.Reid, Morrison

Before anyone pulls me up on Delap, he played many times at right full for Derby and Stoke. Hes a solid pro who would provide a bit of balance and experience on the right hand side allowing Finnan to switch to left back.

Also Trap needs to stop taking the mick and get Clinton Morrison back in the squad. There are many games where Leon Best is a sub when Morrison starts for Coventry and impresses. Surely his backroom team must notice this if they are having Best monitored.

No Stephen Hunt?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,503 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Des wrote: »
    Because it's not American Football and there are no special team plays allowed

Are set-pieces not allowed either :rolleyes:

Teams spend time in training working on free-kicks and corners to better their chances of scoring form them. Fact is you get more throw-ins in a match than free kicks or corners and Delap's delivery from these throws is more accurate than it could ever be from a corner or free-kick

its also interesting to have a look at who would be dropped.

All dropped from the current 26 man squad while I make up my 23 man squad:

Keiren Westwood
    Stephen Kelly
    Paul McShane
    Eddie Nolan
    Keith Andrews
    Darron Gibson
    Liam Miller
    Glenn Whelan
    Leon Best
    Andy Keogh
    Shane Long

no major losses there as far as im concerned.

of course i did include S.Ireland so there is room for one of Whelan/Andrews/McCann/McCarthy/Gibson to impress me :D

Ya dropped a clanger by dropping Westwood mate, no matter what you say.

He will most certainly be the natural successor to Shay Given and will be a top premier league goalkeeper in 2-3 seasons if not earlier.

I can only assume you haven't seen him play for Coventry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭antomorro-sei

Andy Reid
    Stephen Reid
    Stephen Ireland
    Brian Murphy
    Keith Fahey

Average-Ro wrote: »
    No Stephen Hunt?

I'd leave him out. I don't rate him as a player at all. He'll give you 15 minutes of heart but thats it. One of the worst players to play a more leading role for ireland in recent history.
    He is vastly overrated but thats just my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭Average-Ro

I'd leave him out. I don't rate him as a player at all. He'll give you 15 minutes of heart but thats it. One of the worst players to play a more leading role for ireland in recent history.
    He is vastly overrated but thats just my opinion.

Fair enough, but I think he's better than Gibson so I'd have him in instead. A Reid can cover for the centre in his absence. Lawerance can also play there I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

TBH, it's hard to complain about Trap's system because it's definitely working. The midfield pairing might on paper lack class and skill but I wouldn't throw it away coming up to the two most pivotal games of the campaign

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Ian Harte

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭mr.noobie

should take it among ourselfs to get morrison back, he wants to play for ireland and hes better than any of our other sub attackers imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I could be wrong but I don't think anyone mentioned Stephen Carr? I'd definitely have him in. Playing regularly for Birmingham and bags of international experience. Since Finnan is suffering with injuries he's a far better option than Kelly who has a good way to go.

I'd love this team if Stephen Ireland is off limits:

Given

Carr
    Dunne---St. Ledger---O'Shea

Duff
    Carsley--S. Reid
    Hunt

Keane---Doyle

Players I'd like to see involved would be:

Lee Carsley
    Stephen Carr
    Andy Reid
    Rory Delap
    James McCarthy
    Clinton Morrisson
    Keith Fahey
    Chris McCann

Players I'd like to see dropped from the squad altogether would be:

Glenn Whelan
    Paul McShane
    Eddie Nolan

CHD wrote: »
    Thats why they play premiership football and he plays LOI....

Capped 21 senior times with Cameroon, 3 in the World Cup, seems alot better stats than a few of the lads in the Irish squad.

****e post.

Hahaha the funniest thing about this post is that I think you are serious

I'd love to see the football that Ireland team would play up against Drogheda or some of those boyos

Capped 21 senior times with Cameroon, 3 in the World Cup, seems alot better stats than a few of the lads in the Irish squad.
    At the end of the day playing for Bohs is still not playing in a decent league, no matter what way any of you want to argue it

At the end of the day playing for Bohs is still not playing in a decent league, no matter what way any of you want to argue it

and what constitutes as a 'decent league' in your sky sports obsessed mind?

• Advertisement

Hahaha the funniest thing about this post is that I think you are serious

I'd love to see the football that Ireland team would play up against Drogheda or some of those boyos

Ireland have better players than Cyprus but still let Cyprus dominate them!!! Seriously do you actually think I think that Bohs have better players than Ireland?

Cyprus team is made up of players playing the Cypriot League a league which before last year was ranked where LOI is now.

Kevin Doyle, Shane Long, etc... went straight from an LoI club to a EPL club and then into the Irish squad.;)

and what constitutes as a 'decent league' in your sky sports obsessed mind?
    Maybe a league where the winners aren't on the verge of bankruptcy 5 years running?

Maybe a league with decent facilities for fans?

Maybe a league with an interesting standard of football?

Maybe a league where the winners aren't on the verge of bankruptcy 5 years running?

Maybe a league with decent facilities for fans?

Maybe a league with an interesting standard of football?

Maybe if you and you 60,000 buddies who will be in Croker for the Italy match fill up every LoI stadium week in and week out we can get the facilities, money to keep our best players here, etc...

Maby the teams wouldn't go bankrupt if the lazy Irish footballing public actually managed to turn off their tv, stop 'supporting' foreign english teams and attend matches in their own country.

This in turn would allow facilities to improve.

As for the standards? More stupidity on your part. When have you were ever been inside a LOI ground to view what the standard was like?

Only a Irish barstooling fan would come out with crap like that! The standard? Give it a break. I talk to a few lads of from England(and Scotland) and they find people of your ilk a joke.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

I actually start sobbing when I see anyone pick mcgeady over hunt, tear enducing madness.

mayordenis wrote: »
    I actually start sobbing when I see anyone pick mcgeady over hunt, tear enducing madness.

Baffling thing to say. You do realise McGeady at 75% is far superior to Hunt at 100%.

Hunt is so overrated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

You know you can always expect a performance from Hunt. McGeady is hit and miss. If he produced consistently it would be a different story.

To say Hunt is overrated has me scratching my head. The guy was our best player against the Italians in Bari or have people forgotten that? He works his socks off each time he plays and I reckon he is vastly underrated.

I can recall plenty of Reading fans deriding him when he left for Hull saying they'd drive him there themselves etc. Well I bet they're not being so dismissive now considering he started his Hull career in fine style and is probably one of Phil Brown's first names on the team sheet at the minute.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Baffling thing to say. You do realise McGeady at 75% is far superior to Hunt at 100%.

Hunt is so overrated.

absolute nonsense,
    every time mcgeady takes to pitch for Ireland he has failed, Hunt gives way way more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

I could be wrong but I don't think anyone mentioned Stephen Carr? I'd definitely have him in. Playing regularly for Birmingham and bags of international experience. Since Finnan is suffering with injuries he's a far better option than Kelly who has a good way to go.

I'd love this team if Stephen Ireland is off limits:

Given

Carr
    Dunne---St. Ledger---O'Shea

Duff
    Carsley--S. Reid
    Hunt

Keane---Doyle

Players I'd like to see involved would be:

Lee Carsley
    Stephen Carr
    Andy Reid
    Rory Delap
    James McCarthy
    Clinton Morrisson
    Keith Fahey
    Chris McCann

Players I'd like to see dropped from the squad altogether would be:

Glenn Whelan
    Paul McShane
    Eddie Nolan
    Agree almost entirely with this analysis, only change is I'd have McGeady on the bench instead of Delap. Glad to see you have Kilbane nowhere near the squad. I'm baffled by the amount of people on here including him in their squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭A_Fitz

It's pretty unamimous, so, that Morisson, Carsley, A Reid, Fahey and Delap should be in the squad, and maybe one our two others as well. Question is, why the **** aren't they?? If we can see that, then why can't Trap, in all his knowledge and experience?

In the case of the much maligned (mostly ridiculously unfairly) Morisson; he is surely better than Long, Keogh, Best, Stokes, Murphy, and possibly Folan, so why has he been totally ignored. Like someone said earlier in the thread; if the Irish scouts are watching Best at Coventry, then why can't they see how the much superior Mr.Morisson is playing?? IMHO, he was the best Irish forward in yrs at holding up the ball.......he's also a hard worker, tireless runner and not afraid to lay the ball off, unlike Robbie Keane. His heart was most certainly in the right place, he seemed like he was very commited and genuinely loved playing for Ireland - a trait that is lacking in some of our players, judging from recent performances anyway, and I'd go so far as to ay that himself and Keane could *possibly* form a more fruitious partnership than Keane and Doyle - not because Clint's a better player than Doyle - he's not - but because I think he would compliment Keane moreso than Doyle does, and yet, after all the positives about him, he is still completely ignored. Baffling!!

The experince and maturity of Delap and Carsley would surely add to the squad overall, even if they didn't end up playing, although in all honest either of them could do what Whelan/Gibson/Andrews do, with ease, and a lot more effectively. Again, hard to understand why they're being excluded.

As for Andy Reid; I don't know why they fell out, but surely if the man has apologised then Trap can forgive and forget?? Andy's no world-beater, but he has international experience and a certain amount of talent and creativity - two fundamental components that we're missing a lot of. Also, it seems strange that Trap refuses to call him back into the squad, but yet is almost pandering to Stephen Ireland - surely Ireland's behaviour has been as disrespectful as anything Reid may have done, plus it was a lot more public and therefore a lot more embarassing to Trap, but yet he seems totally unwilling to budge regarding Fat Andy. Odd.

One thing I'm sure a lot of us can agree on is that the likes of Nolan, Kelly, McShane, Long, Andrews or Gibson aren't good enough to compete at the World Cup, if we get there, and more than likely they'll all be in the squad. More's the pity.

Edit** How the **** did I forget Miller???? Out with him aswell, he's continually ****ing atrocious

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Delap, Ireland and Andy Reid IMO

He still isn't better than Whelan and Andrews. I've seen him play a good few times, he's a good player. If he was better he would be in a better league.

I know LOI would be better if everyone supported it and i know i watch EPL on SkySports so don't twist this into a rabble rabble its your fault the LOI is muck debate.

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Kingdom

Carsley? GTF. Everytime that chap played for Ireland, there was a complaint. Backward pass here, backward pass there, ball over sideline etc.
    He's old and doesn't offer anything Andrews and Whelan don't already.
    Stephen Reid is a given considering he's first choice for the first 3 squads before injury. He's the key, if he can stay fit, you'll see a marked improvement in our play, as seen against Norway before the deluge, Georgia and to a degree against Montenegro.
    Andy Reid's ability is unquestionable. The things the lad can do with a ball are impressive. However he hasn't been a regular with Sunderland, has been proved that he was unfit/overweight (select as necessary), and has proved to be a thorn for the management given he apparently wouldn't follow manager's orders. So I'll trust Trappatoni's judgement on that score for the time being.

In fairness to the Mister, the only truely baffling selection policy is the continued picking of Liam Miller.

What I'd lol at here is the picking of Darren O'Dea at centre half over John O'Shea, when O'Shea's Ireland career has been rescued by being picked at centre half alongside Dunne, he's been immaculate in the position, and to move him to left full, when there are decent other options, wouldn't be on imo.

In most positions he's got it spot on, and its really the squad "filler" pardon the term that could change.

I too am discounting Ireland, as its clear he has no feelings for the country.
    My 23:

Given, Westwood, Brian Murphy (3)

Finnan, Foley, Dunne, O'Shea, St Ledger, O'Dea, Kilbane, Nolan, (8)

Duff, Lawrence, Stephen Reid, Keith Andrews, Glenn Whelan, Aiden McGeady, Stephen Hunt (8)

Robbie Keane, Kevin Doyle, Caleb Folan, Andy Keogh. (4)

Chris McCann, Owen Garvan, James McCarthy, Shane Long, Kevin Foley, Stephen Quinn, Eddie Nolan, Darren O'Dea, all have great futures for us it would seem. They'll be brought more and more into the picture over the next 2 years I'd imagine.
    Where we're short is in the striking department. Andy Keogh will be the playmaker for us in the future, of that I've no doubt. The boy has abundance of class, its a pity he's in the role currently occupied by Robbie, and was a makedo RW (which he's not) as it will have clouded plenty of "supporters" minds on him.

All said, considering our immediate history of managers, the most recent was a waster, and not professional enough, the players weren't happy with the manager before that who was too professional, and the manager before that, well, his position had become untenable due to "that" disaster. So Trap must be doing ok, if the players are happy, and we're still in with a hunt of qualifying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,326 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Andy reid is starting on the left for Sunderland today, i don't think he will see much of the centre this year, looks like Richardson is playing emergency left back. Selling Collins looks even more stupid now.

Will be interesting to see how Reid gets on, this position could be his route back into the Ireland squad/team.

• Advertisement
Advertisement