Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worried I'm going to get sacked from my job

Options
  • 10-09-2009 4:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi everyone. I am pretty stressed out about my job right now because I've just got my second talking-to in 2 weeks. Some background- I am temping in an office and a few weeks ago I had a really bad breakup with a controlling and cruel boyfriend. Since we broke up I have been very distracted in my job and I often find myself crying in the toilet during my lunch break. I received an email a couple of weeks ago from my manager asking why my productivity had decreased so much recently, and I apologised and explained I was having personal problems but would work harder, which I have done. I was out sick for a week and when I came back today my supervisor asked me to speak with him. The first question he asked was how much longer my contract was for. Then he told me that while I was away, he had been informed that 2 people told management that I was unhelpful when they asked me questions, and that despite not appearing busy myself, I had said no to them when they asked for a hand with their own work. I explained to my supervisor that sometimes I am asked questions which I do not know the answer to so this is why I am not much help, and also I have only ever said no to someone once or twice, and both times were when I genuinely had too much of my own work to do. My supervisor then told me that as I did not appear busy (as I say, I have been very distracted) it gives a bad impression to my colleagues. However he did say that I should say no if I need to as it is his and my manager's responsibility to delegate work and not my peers'. He told me that management have asked him to watch me and make sure these problems do not arise again.
    I don't know for sure who it was that complained about me and did not probe too much. However, a couple of hours later one person asked me if I needed help with my work, as I was having a busy day. I thanked him and said yes please and within 2 minutes I had a message from another person (who I have had to say no to in the past) ask me for help with her work. I may be being paranoid but these two are good friends and I had a feeling both may have complained about me so I could not help but feel as if they did this on purpose, to see if I would help someone when they knew for a fact my own burden had just been lessened. Obviously I did help and I stayed back after work doing so.

I guess I am just looking for some sort of support. I know I should not let personal problems affect me and perhaps I have seemed unhelpful but I really can't afford to lose my job. I have too many financial constraints- rent, bills- to do so. However I am dreading going into work tomorrow as I feel I am essentially just on death row until someone pulls the plug. I am going to try my hardest to keep my head up and just do the work and try my best to help other people out without compromising my own work.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

Cobalt pure and simple you have to park your personal feelings at the door and get on with your job, yes it sucks when your personal life goes pear shaped but you can use the fact that you are busy at work to distract yourself from your personal problems.

you need to work hard and show willing at the moment, at lunchtime or at home you can let it all out. its not easy but park your personal feelings until you are away from work.

good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

I know it is easier said than done but try to use your work to distract you from the personal problems and not the other way around.

Good luck with getting better out of both situations.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭BC

I agree with the other posters, you'll really have to try to park your feelings at the door.

However, I would also say, if you're concerned about the issue of saying no to work coming up again then maybe keep a track of the times this happens. So if you have to say no to someone, write down who it was, when it happened and why you had to say no. Then if your manager queries it again, you can ask him/her for the specific instances and then explain why it happened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

The only thing you can really do in this situation is try hard to get back to full productivity as soon as possible. Make a conscious effort to look like the problem is gone and that you're pulling your weight fully. If you do that then you're not likely to be sacked and by the time you've reached the end of your contract you may be able to undo any damage done.

Advertisement