Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Improving Latency In WOW

Options
  • 10-09-2009 5:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

Hi All,
    I have been playing WOW for years now and as I'm on US servers I have grown accustomed to playing with a Latency of 500-700ms. Now this may not sound like much but that would translate to almost a whole global cool down. Which for the elite players among us can be that extra bit of dps you need to break 5k on the heroic dummy or finish an enemy with an instant cast spell.
    So from rummaging around the internet I came up against a post which apparently helped with this issue.
    Try checking this out:
    http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=3271183880&sid=1&pageNo=1
    Now I wouldnt recommend this for the average user but if you are at all pc savvy then try it out cause its dropped my latency to 150 and I'm over the moon!

Enjoy ;)

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,189 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I doubt there would be many people playing here that would have latency over 100ms most of the time. I generally average around 80ms or so, which is unnoticable. Could be helpful for some though.

edit...i havent actually read the article, as im in work atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭2 Espressi

I'll give it a go later, every little helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

will this help europe to europe connections or europe to us.

Bak in college so boards is my only wow resource

• Registered Users Posts: 83,443 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I was getting 300-400 easilly. Maybe I just picked a West Coast realm or something. I wish it would show you ping on the realms.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

dont think mine drops to below 200

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 motd2k

Disabling nagle system wide is a very bad idea - it's there for a reason!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

motd2k wrote: »
    Disabling nagle system wide is a very bad idea - it's there for a reason!
    It's there for a very outdated reason and would be removed if there was any money to be made in doing so.

Just turn it back on for downloading and leave it off for any gaming. You can even make a shortcut to turn it on and one to turn it off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 motd2k

Well its actually there to increase your effective bandwidth at the expense of latency, and it does a good job of it generally speaking.

Ultimately you have to question Blizzards use of TCP for a realtime protocol, UDP would have been a much smarter idea.

Advertisement