Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

.223 ristricted ??

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭foxshooter243

Keelan wrote: »
    All i can say is, thanks very much for all your support and advice.
    My cousin has read this. His had the .223 for the past 2 years.
    He has contacted a good member of the gun club, who will hopefully get it sorted, as a whitness, in the meantime, he had to hand in the .223 into the local firearms dealer...
    He realy does not want to put the garda's back up, but it seems in this case, he is doing nothing rong.
    The Superintendent, is on holidays, so the FO is under control till then apparently and it does seem that he is anti gun, as he came out with a line, saying how if it was up to him, their would be no gun owner ship...!
    Will keep all up to date on what is going on and thanks again.

Keelan.

Keelan, contact Des Crofton on this matter straight away, dont hesitate,
    youll find his number here:
    http://www.nargc.ie/site/contact/contact.aspx

This cannot go unchallenged, do not worry about getting the firearms officers back up, this has to be acted on, recruit some help from NARGC.
    This will be easily resolved if you act now!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

Keelan, contact Des Crofton on this matter straight away, dont hesitate,
    youll find his number here:
    http://www.nargc.ie/site/contact/contact.aspx

This cannot go unchallenged, do not worry about getting the firearms officers back up, this has to be acted on, recruit some help from NARGC.
    This will be easily resolved if you act now!

Never mind about getting the FO's back up he will have more respect for you next time you call in.

In fact tell the FO what you intend to do and get it all down in writing in "Black and White"
    Under the new regs you must get a answer to an application within 3 months so the sooner you put in for you 223 license then the sooner you can act on a refusal if it goes to that.

Your Super and FO are there to act for you and the new Regs are there for them to follow even if they do not agree with them.

Start now by putting all this down on paper so that you have a record of how it went up till now and keep it updated. Keep it short and to the point.

Then get it off to Des Crofton he's very good at getting the rocket up people who act the maggot. He got a problem moving on my app. for my 308 that was getting put on the shelve, even though I'm not a member of the NARGC

DON'T WAIT DO IT NOW.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

rrpc wrote: »
    Keelan, if he has the .223 for two years then surely he has an extension letter for it? The earliest these extensions run out is 31st October 2009, so he should still be licensed on it and there's no need to give it to a dealer until that extension runs out.

+1

Tell your cousin to go get his rifle back. Don't worry about "getting his (Garda) back up". He has NO LEGAL STANCE to force your cousin to surrender his rifle while he is currently licenced on it. His extension acts as his licence. Follow all the advice given to you on this thread but seriously GO GET HIS RIFLE BACK. Act on the advice given to you or your cousin will suffer in the long run.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭hrta

If you are directly affected by the conduct of a member of the Garda Síochána that you believe is misbehaviour you can complain to the Garda Ombudsman. You can also make a complaint if you are witness to such behaviour.

Just ask any member of An Garda Síochána at any Garda Station, for a GSOC 1 complaints form.

I was down this road one time, myself, after asking for this form, every thing was sorted in one week, with out having to fill it in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

For me, this is one of the really positive aspects of boards (apart from the entertaining arguments of course ;)). In the past, lads like Keelan's cousin would have buckled and succumbed to the bullying and nobody would be any the wiser.

Even if he doesn't take the advice given here, others will take heed and the possibility of the same thing happening again is reduced significantly.

However, he really needs to take the advice and do as follows:
    • If he has handed in his rifle and still has a valid extension for it, he should get it back immediately.
    • He needs to fill out his FCA1 form for the rifle and bring it to his station with a witness (preferrably from the NARGC or other body if possible).
    • If he meets with the same resistance, ask for the details in writing and also ask for the GSOC1 form as recommended above.
    • Insist on making the application, hand it over and ask for a receipt.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I am under the impression that under the new licensing rules you can submit an application direct to the Superintendent direct without involving anyone of a lower rank. In my case I will most certainly be submitting my applications to the district HQ by registered post.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 woodcock 52

You have to go to Garda Station with forms and idenification if Guard does not know you, they will accept form, check it and sign and stamp it. That man should make apointment with his local Superintendent and explain what has happened. As .223 is a non restricted firearm it is the Supt who revokes or grants it.

Bond-007 wrote: »
    I am under the impression that under the new licensing rules you can submit an application direct to the Superintendent direct without involving anyone of a lower rank............

My understanding is you always could submit direct to your Super now aswell as before. The commissioner is responsible for licensing, he designates it to his Chief Superintendents who in turn designates the responsiblilities to the Superintendents who in turn designates to a specific Garda (namely a Firearms Officer).

While any Garda can accept an application it usually follows a structured ladder as mentioned. However nowhere does it say it must be submitted to your FO. You can at any point skip a rung in the ladder. If you gave it to your Super he would most likely still refer to his FO for a verbal reference on your character. Obviously FOs do not know everyone especially in large stations that accept a large number of applications but in smaller stations the FO (or man on the desk) would be vital to the Super's process. I have known my FO for years and he is also an avid hunter/sports shooter. When applying for my pistol licence a couple of years ago he showed me that letter of recommendation signed by the Super. It was brilliant. I asked "how does he know me" and the FO said he wrote the letter and explained to the Super who i was and then the Super signed off on the letter. So if you're more comfortable sending it direct to your Super do so but be aware he may still refer back to "the man on the ground".
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭PJ Hunter

Obviously FOs do not know everyone especially in large stations that accept a large number of applications

some fo's do. heard of one old timer that visited all 250 license holders in his district over the years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

ezridax wrote: »
    My understanding is you always could submit direct to your Super now aswell as before. The commissioner is responsible for licensing, he designates it to his Chief Superintendents who in turn designates the responsiblilities to the Superintendents who in turn designates to a specific Garda (namely a Firearms Officer).

While any Garda can accept an application it usually follows a structured ladder as mentioned. However nowhere does it say it must be submitted to your FO. You can at any point skip a rung in the ladder. If you gave it to your Super he would most likely still refer to his FO for a verbal reference on your character. Obviously FOs do not know everyone especially in large stations that accept a large number of applications but in smaller stations the FO (or man on the desk) would be vital to the Super's process. I have known my FO for years and he is also an avid hunter/sports shooter. When applying for my pistol licence a couple of years ago he showed me that letter of recommendation signed by the Super. It was brilliant. I asked "how does he know me" and the FO said he wrote the letter and explained to the Super who i was and then the Super signed off on the letter. So if you're more comfortable sending it direct to your Super do so but be aware he may still refer back to "the man on the ground".
    In my case, I am very rural and the station is a mere 2 man affair with very irregular opening hours. Also it is 8 miles of a drive. A couple of wasted journeys would more than cover the cost of registered post to the Superintendent's office. He could refer it back to the local lads, but I would be safe in the knowledge my applications were in the system and the 3 month clock was ticking away nicely.

• Advertisement

Bond you're just after descibing my local station. 2 lads, irregular hours, many a journey to an empty station. Thing is i would (even if it meant delaying by a week or 2) still go through them. Its a respect thing. The 2 Gardai in my local station are salt of the Earth. Went down a few months back to amend a licence. 5 minute job right. Wrong. Got the licence done in 5 minutes alright then spent nearly 2 hours talking s**t, smoking fags and drinking coffee. Its this kind of semi personal/working relationship that means i've never waited more than 4 weeks for any licence and get such good co-operation, recommendation letters etc when needed.

PJHunter, you probably had a similar thing with your man. Although some Gardai can be awkward and troublesome (like the one this thread is based on) the majority are either indifferent to guns as a whole or shooters themselves and know what lads have to go through. My local Gardai and FO gave me their mobile numbers and said if i needed anything done to give them a shout as they only live 5 minutes from the station. This trust can only be built up over time and requires a mutual respect from both parties.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

I too live in a rural area with imtermittent garda coverage, the best way of finding them is ring the station number and it will normally be put through to the district HQ, Just ask the Guard there when so and so will be on again and what time and call down then. It works for me 90% of the time!!

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Keelan

Good news all. :)
    My Cousin has got his CZ B/A .223 back.
    I wont go too much into detail, suffice to say, the Garda F/O, was very sorry. ;)

Good luck to all for the season ahead and thanks very much for all the advice ect. :)

Keelan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

I wont go too much into detail, suffice to say, the Garda F/O, was very sorry. ;)

Good luck to all for the season ahead and thanks very much for all the advice ect. :)

Keelan.
    I am really glad to hear this Keelan, good result all round. :cool:

One of the really important functions boards provides.

Delighted for you and your cousin Keelan. Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Good to hear Keelan.:D
    Was all unnecessary in the 1st place.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭foxshooter243

Keelan.

Refreshing news!!:D

Advertisement