Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sail Training

Options
  • 10-09-2009 9:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭

Hi,
    I'm in TY so later on this year I hope to go on a sail training program somewhere,
    I understand that the Asgard foundation are sailing their old boat in place of the Asgard until a new boat is built/bought.
    I was just wondering are there any other options like the British/French ships and how much would they be compared to the Asgard's Replacement?
    Thanks,
    Icedtea
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭ValerieR

The Belem in France runs sail training too : http://www.fondationbelem.com/programme_2009.htm (the English version of the site doesn't seem to have everything translated).

I thought the Irish government had 'eliminated' the sail training program (they are getting the money from the insurance for the Asgard II but are not salvaging it or replacing it). :mad: :( Unless there has been an announcement since :)

ValerieR

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭icedtea

ValerieR wrote: »
    The Belem in France runs sail training too : http://www.fondationbelem.com/programme_2009.htm (the English version of the site doesn't seem to have everything translated).

I thought the Irish government had 'eliminated' the sail training program (they are getting the money from the insurance for the Asgard II but are not salvaging it or replacing it). :mad: :( Unless there has been an announcement since :)

ValerieR

Read in yesterday's Irish Times that they are planning to buy a steel hulled boat,
    hopefully they will, thanks btw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Punchesnpeaches

Dyflin wrote: »

I sail trained with JST in August and it was so much fun. The trip I did was organised by JST in conjunction with at sea sail training (www.atseasailtraining.com). The latter organisation tries to organise funding for a lot of its trips. The trip I did was a youth exchange and was heavily funded by European Youth in Action and the Tall Ships' Trust.

Also, the JST run a programme called "Youth Leadership at Sea"; if you qualify for that you can get some funding for your voyage.

If you're doing TY you're prob going to do Gaisce, you should see if sail training counts towards the residency element; it definitely does for the UK equivalent, the Duke of Edinburgh award.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭icedtea

Thanks,
    Will look in to them!

• Advertisement
Advertisement