Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Programming 1

Options
  • 10-09-2009 9:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭

this elective seems to have vanished.. firstly the teacher didnt show up for the first lecture, and now its not on the website anymore and im down 5 credits!

anyone else get this problem? also i cant get into the course documents for it..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Xhristy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Anyone who was registered got an email telling us that there wouldnt be a lecture on the Tuesday, it exists, I swear.

Does that mean I'm happy with this module? No....... >_<

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Ajfunky

i didnt get no email! damnit!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭misslt

Ooooh believe me ... you ain't missing much.

I can draw a line perfectly well using paint on my computer, thank you very much.

There aren't, however, any labs for the forseeable future.

What actually happened in programmin today i missed it!?

If it was anything on my MIS lecture.. eh..learning how to open and save a file..

• Advertisement

misslt wrote: »
    Ooooh believe me ... you ain't missing much.

I can draw a line perfectly well using paint on my computer, thank you very much.

There aren't, however, any labs for the forseeable future.

I wanted to learn JAVA, I want to learn the hard language, not this one! URGH...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

Son, I am disappoint.

Fad wrote: »
    I wanted to learn JAVA, I want to learn the hard language, not this one! URGH...

To be perfectly honest, I'd be happy not learning any of the languages.

I'm doing actuary for god's sake!

It's nothing like I thought computer programming would be like - like you said I'd rather learn a hard one and be able to do it than that one - it looks like a program designed to do half the work for you.

misslt wrote: »
    To be perfectly honest, I'd be happy not learning any of the languages.

I'm doing actuary for god's sake!

It's nothing like I thought computer programming would be like - like you said I'd rather learn a hard one and be able to do it than that one - it looks like a program designed to do half the work for you.

It could be handy? Maybe :pac:

I doubt a programming language that has such an emphasis on visuals would even be that useful to an actuary :confused:

It could be handy? Maybe :pac:

I doubt a programming language that has such an emphasis on visuals would even be that useful to an actuary :confused:

I agree.

I think I'll stop going to the lectures and write on my exam 'Fad on boards told me it would be no use :D'

TBH it really strikes me that the lecturer couldn't be bothered teaching a proper language because he knew everyone would struggle too much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

If they're not doing Java, what language are they doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

Processing.

What was covered so far?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭wobzilla

I did Porogramming 10010 back in 2005 and it was Java. I loved it, in fact after doing programming 1 and programming 2 I decided I wanted to change to computer science (I was currently doing general science). Unfortunately I had to get a form from administration to change to computer science and they didn't have any. They told me to keep checking back every few weeks but then there was a fire in the administratioin building so I dropped out instead. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Seems a bit daft to be teaching that tbh. Mostly thinking of people who may transfer from general science to the denominated stream after 1st year here, but they'd be far better off doing Java, C++ or Python... especially because the 2nd year Data Structures and Algorithms course is done in Java.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Saying a language is hard is subjective, plus java is quite easy in comparision to others such as C/C++ :)

While I've never heard of it before, processing doesn't look that bad for getting quick hands on programming. Maybe you'll only spend half the year on it and move to another language later on.

Programming isn't about syntax or what language you use, it's about problem solving and developing that mind set so you can approach complex problems and develop solutions. Don't worry about what language you are using.

Webmonkey wrote: »
    Saying a language is hard is subjective, plus java is quite easy in comparision to others such as C/C++ :)

His reasoning behind not teaching JAVA* was that it's too hard, JAVA isnt meant to be that bad to start off with. Plus we'd have to learn about compilers and stuff, which would probably a good idea to get out of the way as soon as possible, if I do decide to swap over to the denominated stream I cant see it being an easy transition :(

*I do know processing is based on JAVA/involves it, but I dont see why we weren't just taught it.

Advertisement