Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Big Canon news on the horizon... any thoughts?

• 10-09-2009 10:02am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,275 ✭✭✭✭

From an email to someone in the industy that got an invite to the press launch:
    During this fall, Canon will make one of its largest and most important launches in the company’s history and we hope you can attend. During a luncheon, you are invited to listen to CEO Jouko Tuouminen, Marketing presiden Monica Forsberg and trend analyst Magnus Lindkvist, talking about tomorrows trends and factors of success in the continually more digitalized everyday life.
    Date: september 29
    Time: 11 am- 1pm
    An invitation including more information will come soon.

Given the current world economy I'm guessing they're buying out a smaller player in the market...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

I've heard of Leica-ish rumours, but tbh, they're all BS. Especially with yesterdays releases.

Unless it's some new technology. I'd have doubts of Canon doing any takeovers at the moment. New 1D's are hardly calling for a press release title like that neither.

Hohum...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

I think that Sony have the Leica partnership tied up already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

Oh its fun to speculate, isn't it :D

I'm plumping for an entirely new system. Some sort of modular system. Maybe medium format, maybe full frame 35mm, I'm going to go with MF. Then a range of interchangeable body/viewfinder/backs. Hybrid still and video. Something like those concepts we've seen from RED.

Nikon was on this same rumour mill last year before it disappeared into the aether, rumour has it due to technical difficulties with the product as opposed to a complete cancellation, so presumably there'll be something along at some point.

It was sensor rumours that were floating about, Leica is using Kodak sensors in their M9 atm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Oh its fun to speculate, isn't it :D
    Sleepy wrote: »
    Given the current world economy I'm guessing they're buying out a smaller player in the market...

To add to Sleepy's speculation, I think you are on the right track however I think it is Canon that are being bought out by Nikon and world peace will resume ;)

* Note the above speculation is completely without any foundation, knowledge or otherwise, but it does make for an interesting daytime thought.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,275 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

After re-reading the word 'launches' in the piece, I'm thining it's either a medium format SLR or a digital canonet (since the 1d mark IV(s?) seems to be scheduled for a December release)...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

Maybe the will announce that they are closing down :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,404 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Looks a box shaped camera of some sort... a digital brownie :pac:

september29.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭decsramble

ThOnda wrote: »
    Maybe the will announce that they are closing down :D

Maybe the bought controlling shares in Nikon in a hostile takeover ;)

What if they bought RED? :eek:
    Or Apple? :eek::eek::eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Clearly they're announcing a new range of disposables :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭decsramble

"talking about tomorrows trends and factors of success in the continually more digitalized everyday life"

"Everyday life" would seem to indicate they would be doing anything with DSLRs.

After re-reading the word 'launches' in the piece, I'm thining it's either a medium format SLR or a digital canonet (since the 1d mark IV(s?) seems to be scheduled for a December release)...

Oh, don't be doing that to me!! I'm bad enough with the old Canonet's...

I know it's impossible to tell the scale from that picture, but it looks a bit big. I mean, I doubt they'd get a sheet of lovely red fabric that's just the size of a Kleenex for the Canonet, would they?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

I doubt it's anything to do with the 1D MkX (IV in Japanese is unlucky or something, so they'll skip that branding). The 1D release normally revolves around a major sporting event, so they're unlikely to release close to something (Winter Olympics).

I'd say it's medium format, and maybe some more new consumer cameras.

Or, maybe they've bought out Nikon?? :D

Fajitas! wrote: »
    Oh, don't be doing that to me!! I'm bad enough with the old Canonet's...

I know it's impossible to tell the scale from that picture, but it looks a bit big. I mean, I doubt they'd get a sheet of lovely red fabric that's just the size of a Kleenex for the Canonet, would they?
    I reckon the image is just a stock image tbh...

Digital canonet would be nice though ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

+1 Digital Canonet would be cool. (28 / f2 ish / AF APS-C?? / probably no viewfinder like the Pen)

Though it would hardly merit an teaser like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

I'm betting on a 6D..........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭duffarama

How about...

A new video camera to stop RED from taking too much of their market share in that arena? Which can also take pictures? Like the new RED cam can

Paulw wrote: »
    I doubt it's anything to do with the 1D MkX (IV in Japanese is unlucky or something, so they'll skip that branding).

I'd say it's medium format, and maybe some more new consumer cameras.

OM4 anyone? :rolleyes:
    Was there an FM4?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭peter1892

Paulw wrote: »

The box under the cloth does look a bit like a Nikon one... :D:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Probably that they're now putting MP3 players in their DSLRs.
    Gotta be ahead of the pack afterall.

5uspect wrote: »
    Think that's already been released and good as it looks, I don't think it could be considered one of the biggest movese in Canon's history...

Think that's already been released and good as it looks, I don't think it could be considered one of the biggest movese in Canon's history...

True enough, it came out rather quietly tho.

So back to speculation...
    A new sensor technology perhaps?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

september29.jpg

Doesnt really tell us too much sadly...

Mark the calendar

During this fall, Canon will make one of its largest and most important launches in the company’s history and we hope you can attend. During a luncheon, you are invited to listen to CEO Jouko Tuouminen, Marketing presiden Monica Forsberg and trend analyst Magnus Lindkvist, talking about tomorrows trends and factors of success in the continually more digitalized everyday life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭rameire

i doubt its the 6d, that will be next spring.

probably will be the 2009d

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,412 ✭✭✭positron

1D Mk IV?

positron wrote: »
    1D Mk IV?

Does seem to be a common suggestion on a few internet forums

Would like if it was something a bit more revolutionary, but who knows

Rb wrote: »
    Probably that they're now putting MP3 players in their DSLRs.
    Gotta be ahead of the pack afterall.

I heard they're putting mobile phones into their cameras. Camera-phones, who'd have thunk it!?
    positron wrote: »
    1D Mk IV?

I doubt they'd make this big deal over something as routine as a new 1D, unless they've made something completely different...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,412 ✭✭✭positron

Fajitas! wrote: »
    I doubt they'd make this big deal over something as routine as a new 1D, unless they've made something completely different...

Well, their top of the range product - I would have thunk they would do all the tricks in the book to get some reaction..! Of course, they would have some features as 'like never before' as well! 1080p video on 1D? Always on shutter? IS on camera body? that would be suicide. :-)

They'd never make that big a deal over it though - People will buy the 1D regardless of marketing, they're not going to be hooking in new photographers with the 1 series, it's going to be professionals that are in need of an upgrade - Sure, it'll have HD video and all the other bells and whistles, but unless it's got something way out there with it, I'd say it's something else.

It's their flagship model, yes, but it dosn't need as much advertising as, say, the ***D series and the **D series. Imo, anyways!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭rameire

something to replace the 1000d

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

with the success of the 5d mkII for movie production it would make sense for them to develop something that has video as its primary use. they have the cash to do it and theres a huge market gap there thats only covered by Red at the moment, which are a much smaller company with less funding.

or else its the 7d mkII with 36mp and iso 51200

Maybe they'll be giving away their cameras for free!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Cant see them buying anybody out, all the other camera makers are paired off

sony - zeiss
    lecia - panasonic
    olympus - connections to 4/3ds (dont think canon wants to buy into that dead horse)

pentax - canon colaboration????

and possibly the long awaited pentax full frame camera :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

Maybe they have a shot of the ghost of Michael Jackson?

Seriously though -I'd be hedging my bets on a Red video clone.

landyman wrote: »

sony - zeiss
    lecia - panasonic
    olympus - connections to 4/3ds (dont think canon wants to buy into that dead horse)

Wouldn't mind seeing them have a partnership with Sigma, who have the Foveon sensor technology.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 615 ✭✭✭rahtkennades

september29.jpg

Is that.....nah...couldn't be......

It's not....Danbo under there, is it?! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

Mental note: Dont spend money on camera stuff till end of month (after announcement) ....was thinking of getting the 7D having tested it last week...seems pretty nice.

I think its probably something random ... its prob a new line of products of video cameras (which will allow a frame grab for photographers) .... the 5D video function has been used with popularity so expansion of that seems logical.

landyman wrote: »

sony - zeiss
    lecia - panasonic

Pentax are paired up with Samsung

What's all this about a dead horse? Olympus are doing just fine

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

I switched to canon from olympus but I really want to get an olympus dslr again, I have to get a second canon body otherwise I'd get an e420, can get one for 160euro refurbished. its only really usable till iso 800 but its still a great camera, with the 25mm f1.4 it would be perfect for carrying all the time

I've seen them new from €200

Also Conn's had the panasonic 25mm F1.4 for €400 second hand recently. I was so tempted, I'll probably never see it for that price again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 283 ✭✭Psychobiker

They're going to offer entry-level SLRs in pink now?

I'm also putting €10 each way on a Red clone/Red involvement somehow!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

They gonna announce that Danbo will be part of standard kit of all dSLR lines :D

"Don't buy now, wait till the end of September..."

- sounds almost like they are going to announce huge price increase :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

I'm going to canon talk friday week with david lachapelle doing a talk and exib followed by a gear hands on, might mooch a peek there, i promised to smash anything that tops a d3x :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Chorcai

danbo.jpg:D:pac:

Aaaahahhahaha.

It'll be a new photocopier.

Rofl!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭mrboswell

duffarama wrote: »
    I've seen them new from €200

Also Conn's had the panasonic 25mm F1.4 for €400 second hand recently. I was so tempted, I'll probably never see it for that price again.

Yea Conns will probably have raised the price... :p

yep would be funny, if it was something like a new printer technology or photocopier, better be worth all the build up

• Advertisement
Advertisement