Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

La Marmotte 2010

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

niceonetom wrote: »
    Grain of salt, ROK, grain of salt. That's all I'll say about Lumen's advice.

Yes, but I'm hoping that you'll spend at least part of your Marmotte torturefest wondering if you'd feel less uncomfortable with heavier wheels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Ok where do a sign up for the training course. The diet shoulnt be a problem in that I like beetroot a lot.
    I am looking fwd to this. I have found my guru.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

I'd like the 28t as insurance but 21 ->24 -> 28 makes it impossible to find yourself in the right gear. In my limited experience of it I constantly found myself either spinning or grinding uncomfortably and wanting to shift up or down, and the regretting it when I did.

The more I think about it the more I am coming to the horrible conclusion that a 53|39|30 + 12t|25t set up is the right one for the Alps. 53x12 would be enough for the way down (though 50x11 is bigger) and 30x25 is almost the same as 34x28 but with much closer spacings.

There is the cost of converting, the weight penalty, and the ignominy to consider though... still can't see myself buying a triple, but I had one already I'd use it.

Just came across some stuff this morning on compacts.

Apparently, Contador trains on a compact, and has used one on the Angliru stage of the 2008 Vuelta??
    http://cozybeehive.blogspot.com/2008/09/contador-is-pro.html

Apparently, the Astana team used 11/28 with a 52/34 font chainring.
    There were rumours that they used 34/30 as the easoest gear.

Anyway, point is it worked. Horses for courses I guess.
    Som, If Bertie uses 34/28, I reckon it will be ok for you also (despite the gappiness).

IIRC, didnt Tyler Hamilton ue a compact in certain TDF stages?

ROK ON wrote: »

Which links to here.

I just looked at the stats from my last timed climb (3 Rock TT in Sept).

My Garmin says I did 333m ascent in 18 minutes @ 261W and 69kg (3.78 W/kg).

Dr Ferrari says VAM = 3.78 * 300 = 1135 m/hr.

Actual VAM = 333*60/18 = 1110 m/hr.

Spooky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 537 ✭✭✭velopeloton

Very interesting discussion.

I do most of my riding here in the Pyrenées. So far this year I have ridden almost 9000km with 165,000m of ascent. I have a 10 speed dura ace with 52-38 on the front and 12-27 on the rear. In Ireland I raced with a 53-39 and 11-21. My weight is 80kg so heavy for climbing. I find the 38-27 fine for anything up to 10% and hard work up to 13%, after that I'm wishing for a compact. I try to maintain 10-11kmph. On most of the climbs here it is ok but some like Marie Blanque or Hautacam it is pain. I turned 40 this year so next year I am getting a 34.

Majority of local riders here have a 34-27. No need for an 11 on descent, good technique will make you much faster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭short circuit

Thought somoene here might need it ...

https://clemenzo.com/index.php/component/page,shop.product_details/flypage,shop.flypage/product_id,80/category_id,34/manufacturer_id,0/option,com_virtuemart/Itemid,36/lang,en/

Seems cheaper than IRD ... but more importantly .. you can type the ratios you want and they will make up a cassette as you want it.

you can type the ratios you want and they will make up a cassette as you want it.

I'm really curious to know what sort of shifting I'd get from a 11,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 304 ✭✭mfdc

Entry opened today. Was just sitting here thinking "hmm when do the signups start", went to the site and bang! Funny how that works.

The website is a nightmare to navigate, but the form seems clear enough at the end. Only thing I can't figure out is what to do with the medical cert - the page just says to "attach" it. Does it have to be mailed in or do you bring it along when picking up your chip? Oh also there's a 10 euro fee for the timing chip it seems, I wonder do you get that back or is it just an extra cost for the day...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

mfdc wrote: »
    Entry opened today. Was just sitting here thinking "hmm when do the signups start", went to the site and bang! Funny how that works.

The website is a nightmare to navigate, but the form seems clear enough at the end. Only thing I can't figure out is what to do with the medical cert - the page just says to "attach" it. Does it have to be mailed in or do you bring it along when picking up your chip? Oh also there's a 10 euro fee for the timing chip it seems, I wonder do you get that back or is it just an extra cost for the day...

Bring your cert with you on the day... the 10 quid is refundable when you return the timing chip

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

You can post them the medical cert or just bring it on the day. If you have a racing license you don't need the medical cert. You get the €10 back at the end.

I'd like to go over Sat 26 June to Grenoble, back Tue 6 July and do the whole Grande Trophée:

Sat 26 Jun - Ryanair Dublin-Grenoble
    Sun 27 Jun - La Vaujany 173km 4,400m ascent
    Wed 30 Jun - Prix des Grandes Rousses 40km 1,600m ascent
    Sun 4 Jul - La Marmotte 174km 5,180m ascent
    Mon 5 Jul - Grimpee De L'Alpe 13km 1,071m ascent
    Tue 6 Jul - Ryanair Grenoble-Dublin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

I was weighing a xmas ham at tescos the other day .. that's what i need to lose before this ... Fooooock!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

blorg wrote: »

That's 12,251 meters straight up folks. That's about 1.4 Mount Everests btw.

I'm in.

Note to self: stop eating.
    Ahh, that tingle of mixed fear and excitement...

Roll call: who's got the stones for this?

OK we are all booked for this, no backing out now!

I'll bring the tent, it will be cosy.

If anyone else is interested in doing the same we are booked for the four events and flight as I posted:

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Roll call: who's got the stones for this?

It's more an issue of having too many stones in my case. About four of them.

... well that's one thing to motivate me to climb better.... ah feck I forgot about the heat ... the bloody heat ... Noo!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭cormpat

Does any one else think that the sportcomunication website is a pain in the whole?

I've just registered, or at least I think I've just registered....

I went on the "complement de reglement" link, filled out my details; name, DOB, address, etc. & then I entered the amount I wanted to pay, the €45.00 for the Marmotte and entered my credit card details on the next page. Then I got confirmation that sport communication have credited me €45.00. I printed this page of proof. While going through the motions, no where did I enter that I wanted to do the Marmotte or Pantani or other events.

Have I just paid these Frenchies €45.00 for the craic without entering any event or is this the norm? I haven't received any confirmation email either....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭Ryaner

Really bad site. Didn't get any confirmation either. Name isn't showing the db and I got
    Parse error: syntax error, unexpected $end in /homez.92/sportcom/www/php/mail.php on line 287
    at the end of the process too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 304 ✭✭mfdc

cormpat wrote: »
    Does any one else think that the sportcomunication website is a pain in the whole?

I've just registered, or at least I think I've just registered....

I went on the "complement de reglement" link, filled out my details; name, DOB, address, etc. & then I entered the amount I wanted to pay, the €45.00 for the Marmotte and entered my credit card details on the next page. Then I got confirmation that sport communication have credited me €45.00. I printed this page of proof. While going through the motions, no where did I enter that I wanted to do the Marmotte or Pantani or other events.

Have I just paid these Frenchies €45.00 for the craic without entering any event or is this the norm? I haven't received any confirmation email either....

Yeah the site is crap. There is a specific registration link though, which (eventually, after "My name is not following on database!") drops you at a form where you select all the stuff you're signing up for. Since it doesn't sound like you got to that page, I'd guess you'll get a mail asking why you've sent them 45 quid sometime soon. If you know French, or know someone who does, I'd mail them just to clarify that the payment is for the Marmotte (and suggest they clean up their site).

Oh also fwiw I didn't get an email confirmation at the end either.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭cormpat

mfdc wrote: »
    Yeah the site is crap.
    Since it doesn't sound like you got to that page,

After the receipt of payment page, the link broke and it wouldn't return me to the website.

I've got a mate who speaks fluent French so I'll ask her to sort it for me. Merci beaucoup!

Click British Flag to change language
    Registrations > On Line from menu
    REGISTRATION ON LINE: Individual
    Type in your name
    Follow "My name is not on following database !" link
    You now get the screen listing the events
    Select "La Marmotte" 03/07 174km for 45€ - note NOT any of the other stuff with "Marmotte" in the title, there is a multi-day version and a half version.
    Fill in your details
    For Licence select "Non Licencié" if you don't have a CI license or "Etrangere" if you do
    Valider
    Paiement par carte bancaire
    Cost 55€ with your chip, you will get €10 back at the finish (or when they take the chip off you if you are caught by the broomwagon)
    Put in card details, Valider
    You then get a confirmation that you have paid with a number, take a note of this in case you need it.

You should then send them a photocopy of your license or medical cert to be fully registered although you can just bring it with you on the day, I don't know if it matters which you do regarding start position.

You don't get an email confirmation immediately, you do get one at some stage subsequently giving your start number.

It honestly all works pretty well, they are very well organised on the day and there is no problem picking up your entry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 562 ✭✭✭barrabus

will look at flying over for the marmottee itself.
    Cant do a week off around that time ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭cnz8euq6x7syj2

Ive a few questions that someone might be able to answer.

My number for the marmotte start is 2272....where does this fair in the field? i wont be hanging around for hours to start will I?

And Finally i am going over the week before.might do the other two trophy events but at the same time i think i am going to get stuck into some serious climbing for the days before too. I really couldnt be arsed organising it myself so i was going to go with an operator.

Just wanted to know if anyone has used an operator before for the marmotte and prob the week before?
    Who have you used? every heard of Apl Cycles...are they any good?

Also on a bit of a different note i was wondering...

Im investing in a new rothar this year and am thinking strongly of getting a cannondale six or synapse ultegra triple purely because i dont want to have to start changing cassettes etc for the marmotte(i feel after reading the posts and talking with others who have done it that the triple could come in very handy).Basically anyone know where to get a cannondale on the cheap.Ive had a look in cycle ways and have been onto Evans and SBR sports.Any other ideas?
    anyone know of anything else similar to that quality for better value?

Thanks in advance.

Everyone starts between 7 and 8 IIRC, I think three waves at 7:00/7:30/8:00. The waves are as follows:

1-400 and 400-1999 (I think all go together but under 400 get to be at the front, I got 157)
    2000-3999
    4000-7000

Last year we organised it ourselves so no experience of an operator.

A triple is not a bad idea at all, several people doing it have them including people doing gold times.

Changing a cassette is very easy though a triple will give you a slightly lower gear than a compact at the expense of shifting quality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

blorg wrote:
    I got 157.

curious, what time did you do it in last year?

me@ucd wrote: »
    curious, what time did you do it in last year?
    9h29. I think I got the low number as I entered the whole Grand Trophee series as you have to go under 9h00 to qualify for <400 otherwise. Hoping to do that this year.

I'm number 17. I'm going to surrounded by some fast little bastards at the start I think...

blorg wrote:
    I think I got the low number as I entered the whole Grand Trophee series
    ah that does sound familiar now that you mention it.
    blorg wrote:
    you have to go under 9h00 to qualify for <400 otherwise

wow that has dropped a good bit. a few years ago you had to get under 7hr 30 to be sure of a place in 400 next year.

I feel reassured now I am in the middle group. Now all I have to do is make sure I end in the middle. If I could get a time of 10hrs to 10 1/2 hours for a first attempt i reckon it would be pretty decent.....No??

Also Blorg,

do you have any recommondations re a new bike. You said in a previous thread you found some on EU sites and you seem to be very much in the know. Dont suppose you have any names apart from the obvious English ones

do you have any recommondations re a new bike. You said in a previous thread you found some on EU sites and you seem to be very much in the know. Dont suppose you have any names apart from the obvious English ones
    I would get a Planet X Ultegra 6700 with Ultegra Compact 50/34 chainset and preferably 11-28 cassette but as that is out of stock you could get the 11-25 and change later or just go for the Dura Ace 12-27, only £40 upgrade with the 20% off offer they have right now.

£919.99 + shipping with the 20% off offer until midnight tonight only! They are very light, you will probably not get within a kilo of the PX for the money.

I would get a Planet X Ultegra 6700

No, really?

edit: some deals here, specifically this looks good, if you could order with a compact.

• Advertisement

Lumen, Yeah the Ridley looks decent but I think the gears would be a couple of hundred to change to the required ratio(marmotte) plus I am not much of a fan of Ridley and i wouldnt really rate the Fulcrum wheels.Thats just my thoughts maybe I am slightly harsh. I will definately keep my eye on that page in future though.

Blorg,Im going to take a proper look at planet X when i get off work. I tried ordering a bike twice a few mins ago and it came up that some parts were out of stock even though i only picked in stock items. Its a really nice bike but again once i pick the extras the price goes up substantially.
    Never really heard of planet X before. Would this be a good quality carbon fibre frame or is it just a base model?

Lumen, Yeah the Ridley looks decent but I think the gears would be a couple of hundred to change to the required ratio(marmotte) plus I am not much of a fan of Ridley and i wouldnt really rate the Fulcrum wheels.Thats just my thoughts maybe I am slightly harsh.

I'm really just suggesting looking around a bit before going with the currently standard-issue Planet-X. They make nice bikes (I have two) but it would be boring if everyone had one. :)

Lumen wrote: »
    No, really?

edit: some deals here, specifically this looks good, if you could order with a compact.
    He did ask. The Planet X is substantially cheaper with better (new generation) components.

That Ridley is 33% more expensive and has the wrong gear ratio. It is also a full kilo at least heavier!

The PX is also very light which is a big plus for the Marmotte. Nothing else comes close weight-wise in that price range.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

The ridley frame is super stiff, it's a very good climber with a better wheelset. I think the bikeradar review said that the planet-x frame trades some stiffness for lower weight.

Blorg,Im going to take a proper look at planet X when i get off work. I tried ordering a bike twice a few mins ago and it came up that some parts were out of stock even though i only picked in stock items. Its a really nice bike but again once i pick the extras the price goes up substantially.
    Never really heard of planet X before. Would this be a good quality carbon fibre frame or is it just a base model?
    If you are careful to only choose stuff not "OUT OF STOCK" you should be OK. If something goes out while you are doing it that can happen. I think the problem at the moment is you would have to upgrade to the Ultegra 6700 wheelset ;300- actually £240 when you consider the 20% discount. This is an OK not great price for that wheelset, RRP is £400 but you have to take the cost of the PX wheels out of that so you are really looking at paying £340 for the wheels.

I got a final price of £1,271 with Ultegra 6700 wheelset upgrade, Dura Ace 12-27 and Michelin Lithion tyres. You could save a bit of money going for the Ultegra 12-25 but you would probably want to get a 27 or 28 for the Marmotte anyway, the upgrade price on the DA cassette is reasonable, and you save a bit of weight there too.

Still, they are decent wheels, certainly far better than Fulcrum Racing 7s. So if you were happy with those wheels still may be worth a punt.

I have the bike myself and think it is a very nice frame indeed. Very very light for the money, far lighter than the likes of the Focus Cayo (which I had before) or entry level from other manufacturers (had a Trek before that), and I don't think it compromises any in terms of the ride either. For me the frame is plenty stiff, you get a real sense of forward momentum when you put down the power. Certainly stiffer and more direct than the Cayo or the Trek, IMO.

I would rate the "free" Planet X wheels over Fulcrum Racing 7s too, they are substantially lighter and quite a traditional design. Racing 7s are very much entry level wheels, solid but heavy.

I appreciate the input Blorg. Its good to know some facts and hear them from someone who has ones and knows their stuff. Going to try and order it later. Might even commit the cardinal sin and get it in Pink. should come in at 1550 or so with the discount so i think Ill do it.

If i dont go with it I think the other option is the Cannondale six or synapse i mentioned before....

Might even commit the cardinal sin and get it in Pink.

It looks lovely in white, although they're out of stock in white M & L. Where PX prices are heading is anyone's guess.

Nah no white.Im six foot so i reckon its a medium. its either blue or pink!!

Nah no white.Im six foot so i reckon its a medium. its either blue or pink!!
    Six foot you are probably a L; their size guide suggests 5'10-6'2 is L so you are bang in the middle. I am also L by the way, 110m stem. 6ft also and 33.75" inseam measured without shoes to the crotch. You probably want 175 or 172.5 cranks.

Having seen all the colours I would suggest black or white. Pink looks good too, if you can take it, would be too much for me. Blue is uninspiring in the flesh IMO. White looks the best overall but there is a cleaning penalty. Anyway it's out of stock so black in L.

How do you get 1,550? I got it in at £1,271. Or do you mean that in Euros, delivered?

• Advertisement

I'm 6' too and I ride a Large p-x. You would want to be after a pretty damn aggressive position to need a medium at 6' tall, but it depends on your proportions and flexibility etc.

@blorg - can you just put a big link to planet-x in your signature and have done with it?

Might even commit the cardinal sin and get it in Pink..

It's not a sin, it's awesome! I wouldn't get any other colour... in fact, I didn't :)

Thats good advice Blorg. Ill get on the case later on coz football has been cancelled so i will have no excuse for not getting it this evening.

Yep i did a rough conversion over into Euros and got the 1550.Its a very reasonable price for the goods involved.

Six foot you are probably a L; their size guide suggests 5'10-6'2 is L so you are bang in the middle. I am also L by the way, 110m stem. 6ft also and 33.75" inseam measured without shoes to the crotch. You probably want 175 or 172.5 cranks.

quote]

Blorg I am very similar in size to yourself so if you could give me a bit of advice.I am not familar with the frame geometry so could you suggest what stem would be good for me?Id go for middle of the road re aggression and comfort.

Niceonetom what size did you get.How does that work out for you?

Blorg I am very similar in size to yourself so if you could give me a bit of advice.I am not familar with the frame geometry so could you suggest what stem would be good for me?Id go for middle of the road re aggression and comfort.

I use 110mm 6 degrees and that works well for me. It's a cheap thing to change if you need to go up or down 10mm. I probably have a leaning towards agressive position but certainly nothing on some people.

Niceonetom what size did you get.How does that work out for you?

Large, and very well thank you.

FWIW I don't think it's really possible to specify with any confidence the correct stem length before trying the bike. 110mm with no spacers under the stem works for me but that's no indication of anything for you. The Large geometry is normal/racy with 73* head and seat angles, ~57cm equivalent top-tube and 165mm head tube. You really have to take an educated guess at stem length and be prepared to change it if it turns out to be unsuitable.

• Advertisement

Large, and very well thank you.

FWIW I don't think it's really possible to specify with any confidence the correct stem length before trying the bike. 110mm with no spacers under the stem works for me but that's no indication of anything for you. The Large geometry is normal/racy with 73* head and seat angles, ~57cm equivalent top-tube and 165mm head tube. You really have to take an educated guess at stem length and be prepared to change it if it turns out to be unsuitable.

Agreed... I have a 100mm stem, and a couple of spacers at the mo, but that's cos I'm an inflexible fatty... stems aren't that expensive to change, so don't let it put you off

I;m on a Large frame too, and am 6' on the button with a 32" inseam if it's of any use!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 88 ✭✭bikenut

Looks like registrations for this years Marmotte are closed? Has anyone else come across this or am I doing something wrong?

I think it's still possible to do it by entering the Grand Trophee (Trophee de l'Oisans) but wasn't planning on doing that much cycling!

Sportive popularity has just gone mad, especially the tough one's like Wicklow 200, Dragon Ride, Fred Whitton challenge etc. That said apparently there were 1500 people left standing at the start line of the Marmotte last year after expecting to enter on the day.

All the roads are open though right - is there anything to stop me just doing it on my own?

bikenut wrote: »
    All the roads are open though right - is there anything to stop me just doing it on my own?

No, they are open roads, but obviously you cant start inside the gates of the official start so its not a real marmotte :p
    and you cant take food on at stations, and if you bail on the wrong side of Galibier you're on yer own!

Numbers are still available if you register for the whole week of events
    (LA VAUJANY , PRIX DES GRANDES ROUSSES , LA MARMOTTE , GRIMPEE DE L'ALPE[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]) [/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]

[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 88 ✭✭bikenut

Thanks Caroline, had to bite the bullet and pay the €95 for the Grand Trophee - not sure how this is going to go down in work!

• Advertisement
Advertisement