Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

La Marmotte 2010

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

bikenut wrote: »
    Thanks Caroline, had to bite the bullet and pay the €95 for the Grand Trophee - not sure how this is going to go down in work!
    Sure, La Vaujany is Marmotte training :) And the Grandes rousses only 40KM, the Grimpee de l'alpes is Marmotte recovery spin. I am sure your boss will understand....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

bikenut wrote: »
    Thanks Caroline, had to bite the bullet and pay the €95 for the Grand Trophee - not sure how this is going to go down in work!
    Well done bikenut, Caroline, Niceonetom and myself are also doing the whole Grand Trophee, hope to see you over there!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭LeoD

Anyone know what would happen if you registered for the whole Grand Trophee and didn't show up for the first event? 5 of us are heading to the Marmotte and tried to enter last week. Will be doing the Prix des Grandes Rouses also so not concerned about the cost, just wondering about registration once we get over there. For example, if you're doing all 4 events, do you get a transponder at the start of the week and hold on to it or do you register before every event and get a different one each time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

LeoD wrote: »
    Anyone know what would happen if you registered for the whole Grand Trophee and didn't show up for the first event? 5 of us are heading to the Marmotte and tried to enter last week. Will be doing the Prix des Grandes Rouses also so not concerned about the cost, just wondering about registration once we get over there. For example, if you're doing all 4 events, do you get a transponder at the start of the week and hold on to it or do you register before every event and get a different one each time?
    If you register for three or more you get the transponder to keep, you don't have to give it back at all. Not sure what happens if you don't turn up for the first one; I imagine you would be OK for the others but you might want to confirm that with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭keogh777

hey, can anyone give me some info on the questions below please.

Ive never flown with my bike before but will be for la marmotte. Will a soft bag do or do you rally need a hard case. Also when booking with Ryanair, did people just book two bags, one for your travel bag and your bike bag and then just tick the sports equipment box.

I was weighing up against hiring one over there, but i would much rather bring my own

cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭Ryaner

keogh777 wrote: »
    hey, can anyone give me some info on the questions below please.

Ive never flown with my bike before but will be for la marmotte. Will a soft bag do or do you rally need a hard case. Also when booking with Ryanair, did people just book two bags, one for your travel bag and your bike bag and then just tick the sports equipment box.

I was weighing up against hiring one over there, but i would much rather bring my own

cheers

I've not flown with a bike yet however you won't be able to get a bike and hardcase in under the weight limit. AerLingus now have 15kg for bikes, Ryanair is 20kg but I'd say they'll drop soon too.

With softcase, lots and lots of padding and things are meant to be fine. Shall find out in a few weeks.

Ryaner wrote: »
    I've not flown with a bike yet however you won't be able to get a bike and hardcase in under the weight limit. AerLingus now have 15kg for bikes, Ryanair is 20kg but I'd say they'll drop soon too.

With softcase, lots and lots of padding and things are meant to be fine. Shall find out in a few weeks.

cheers id be interested to hear how you get on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

A cardboard bike box is the only way to go especially since the new weight limits came in :(
    they do a fine job, Ive flown dozen/s of time with them with no problems once packed right. but the box alone weighs about 4-5kg! they are FAR better than anything other than a hardshell case (which is fine if you like paying about 60-70 quid excess everytime you use it..each way :eek:). Most of the good ones are heavy or v expensive.

No pay for your normal baggage, and then the bike as sporting equipment on top of this an extra 30/40 quid depending who you fly with.

• Advertisement

Hi,

I registered for the La Marmotte and got my payment confirmation but have not heard anything since. That was back in January. Has anyone else got their start numbers or heard anything else back from the organizers - cheers

Yes, I'm 157. Registered immediately and got the number in December.

blorg wrote: »

Thats a bit worrying, i got an e-mail to say they had received my payment for La Marmotte and that my bib number would be sent to me by e-mail after a few days. That was nearly two months now. I have sent them some e-mails but still waiting to hear back

Thats a bit worrying, i got an e-mail to say they had received my payment for La Marmotte and that my bib number would be sent to me by e-mail after a few days. That was nearly two months now. I have sent them some e-mails but still waiting to hear back
    If you got that I imagine you will be fine, it is after all a while yet until the big day.

If you got that I imagine you will be fine, it is after all a while yet until the big day.

yeah fingers crossed they will get back to me, i think it says on the website that it can take up to 3 months

yeah fingers crossed they will get back to me, i think it says on the website that it can take up to 3 months

well there you go then. also when people talk about numbers, you dont get a number physically, you just get the err..number in print usually as a pdf attachment in an email as part of a confirmation letter, you bring this with you to sign on before the race to get your chip.

also just remembered didnt they cap the starting numbers this year for the first time :confused:
    and just looked over my past emails..most years I didnt get it until May and the last year I did it was about 3 weeks before the marmotte :eek:
    so you've got months yet to stress about it ;)

me@ucd wrote: »
    well there you go then. also when people talk about numbers, you dont get a number physically, you just get the err..number in print usually as a pdf attachment in an email as part of a confirmation letter, you bring this with you to sign on before the race to get your chip.

also just remembered didnt they cap the starting numbers this year for the first time :confused:
    and just looked over my past emails..most years I didnt get it until May and the last year I did it was about 3 weeks before the marmotte :eek:
    so you've got months yet to stress about it ;)

Cheers,
    One of the guys in club booked himself and another guy two weeks before i registered and they heard back straight away. My initial e-mail said they would get back in a few days but i never heard anything back. Just got thinking about it lately and though id put up a post as i knew a few from boards were doing the event

They capped in 2009 but they only announced the cap (and immediately closed entry) in I think May or thereabouts, I literally got my entry in the same day they closed it.

This year they were upfront about it being capped so entry filled up a lot earlier than usual.

If you go back to the web site and look yourself up ( name and DOB ) you will find PDFs confirmations of the events you have signed up for.

( look under INSCRIPTIONS > Individuel . Nom, prenom that's Last then 1st name )

• Advertisement

If you go back to the web site and look yourself up ( name and DOB ) you will find PDFs confirmations of the events you have signed up for.

( look under INSCRIPTIONS > Individuel . Nom, prenom that's Last then 1st name )

yeah, i tried this but nothing comes up which is kida what got me a bit worried

Can you speak French? they have a number, I called them a few times last year, they were very helpful.

Can you speak French? they have a number, I called them a few times last year, they were very helpful.

they also speak english..sometimes ;), nah they were very nice when Ive called them in the past.

Registered the morning it went up and got 2444. How'd you find out so quick?

Ryaner wrote: »
    Registered the morning it went up and got 2444. How'd you find out so quick?

Im willing to bet (because Im sure Ive heard him say it on another thread) that because he registered for the trophee d'oisans > marmotte, grimpe d'alpe, prix de grand roux and the vaujany.

Im pretty sure when you register for all these you get a MUCH lower start number, and get seen to much more quickly in the reg process, thats been my experience with people I know who have done it that way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

Im willing to bet (because Im sure Ive heard him say it on another thread) that because he registered for the trophee d'oisans > marmotte, grimpe d'alpe, prix de grand roux and the vaujany.

Im pretty sure when you register for all these you get a MUCH lower start number, and get seen to much more quickly in the reg process, thats been my experience with people I know who have done it that way.

Yup. I registered for the trophee and consequently got the start number 17. I'll be right up nearthe front ... for the first 2km.

• Advertisement

Yes, that is right. Don't know why Tom got such a lower number as he actually registered after me. Academic though as 0-400 all go together (is there a 0?)

Its at times like these i wish i had paid more attention in school :-)

Got sorted, number 4669, right down the back but hey !!! at least im in

Just thought I'd resurrect this thread as we were starting to take over eggie's Marmotte training log.

In response to blorg, you may have a false impression of me! I wouldn't consider myself a racer - more of a cycling mullocker to be honest that'll have a go at anything. I only started this cycling craic last Christmas with the aim of completing the Etape in July which I did. I participated in league races last year in preparation for the Etape so have (unsuccessfully so far) graduated to open racing this year which I'm using again as training. I appreciate that the Etape last year was the proverbial piece of p*ss compared to the Marmotte but hopefully my 2009 base will stand to me this year. I reckon if I get 10-12hrs a week on the bike in May and June I'll be doing well.

Lumen wrote: »
    Some interesting stuff on pacing and stats for the Marmotte.

It's a bit power meter specific, but on the basis that 1kJ=1 calorie, it gives about 5300 calories (real ones, not Garmin ones) for an experienced rider of something over 70kg completing the event in 7hr34.
    I think you need to do the Marmotte this year. We have a space in our chalet!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭jwshooter

places left on there wed site also.

OK, well the key thing with the Marmotte is that it is long and has a lot of hills. If you have done the Etape that is a very good base and understanding; the Marmotte may be a bit tougher, a bit more, but certainly same general level of challenge.

To be honest if you did the Etape you can do the Marmotte so the question becomes what is your goal with the Marmotte... do you want to do it fast? What number do you have? :)

I'm 7226 which is a bit strange as I thought entry was limited to 7000?! Have signed up for the 4 race series but will only do the Prix de Rousses and the Marmotte as the plan is to get balloobas when/if we finish the Marmotte so no Grimpee de lAlpe on Sunday morning I'd say.

With regards times, I had this half notion of going for a silver medal but I've no idea what time that is which just goes to show how organised I am. I did buy the Cyclefilm reccie dvd though so I am some bit prepared! :D

I must look back at the thread from last year's Marmotte but how long did it take you?

But there are no more entries for the event. Ah, for shame, if only I had an entry. Not.

edit: I've moved a couple of posts from this training log to here, as it was getting a bit off-topic.

Lumen wrote: »
    Some interesting stuff on pacing and stats for the Marmotte.

It's a bit power meter specific, but on the basis that 1kJ=1 calorie, it gives about 5300 calories (real ones, not Garmin ones) for an experienced rider of something over 70kg completing the event in 7hr34.

In addition to the pacing and stats link I posted above, I found another interesting account of the 2009 Marmotte from the same 50 year old guy here. He crashed after puncturing descending the Glandon, went down in an ambulance sans bike, walked 8km back up again in his socks (blisters heal, cleats don't) then re-joined 15 mins ahead of the broomwagon and finished.

I just got an email from the Marmotte crowd and in it it has Brevet d’Or with a time of 10hr 3min for A group.

Anyone know if this time is right as I was expecting 8hrs 30 going on other reports I had read.

like everything standards are slipping to make the net bigger :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,765 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

The A group is Women 18-34, as far as I know it was always +10 hours, The 8 hr: 30 is for group C, Men 18-29. This is the breakdown of the different groups. So no change.
    Gold Silver
    A Women 18-34 10:03, 12:04
    AB Women 35:49 10:17, 12:21
    B Women 50+ 10:32, 12:39
    C Men 18-29 08:29, 10:11
    D Men 30-39 08:49, 10:35
    E Men 40-49 09:15, 11:06 etc

Leroy42 wrote: »
    The A group is Women 18-34, as far as I know it was always +10 hours, The 8 hr: 30 is for group C, Men 18-29. This is the breakdown of the different groups. So no change.
    Gold Silver

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭cormpat

A bit of advice please lads? For the next 6 weeks before the Marmotte what kind of preparation are the boardies who are doing it, doing?

I've done the Tour of Sligo. I'm signed up for the Wicklow 200 & plan on doing Tour de Burren as well, but how much racing should I be doing along with the LSD rides? I'm just talking about the my local club league & other handicapped races like the Mayo League.

This weekend there's a 65km race on Saturday,The Conamara Bog Week Grand Prix & The Gogarty Cup & an 80km on Sunday in Letterfrack, would you advice doing both or doing one plus an LSD ride on the other day (around 115km)?

What's everyone else doing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭sy

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Gold Silver
    What about the F men ? :(

Thanks by the way

cormpat wrote: »
    What's everyone else doing?

whatever you do do some hard hill repeats, and by hill I mean mountain (by irish standards :pac:) 20min intervals up and down 2-3-4 times, building up one extra every session or 2..or three if you can justify it ;)

just as a guide to how easy this actually is compared to the marmotte, basically you will be doing the equivilant of about four of these to simulate 1 col/pass [glandon or telegraph for example] in one go with no downhill and the equivilant of about 20 of these intervals over the 7-12rs during the marmotte :eek:

The best prep comes the week before the race, when you shoud be getting in a few passes that week, to wake your legs [and back!] up to how tough and long these climbs are, think of your last prep here as prep for doing the final training week in the alps around where you are staying.

that week I would usually ride the col d'ornon one day to break legs in, the glandon another, the galibier or lautaret another day and finally 2-3 days before the race the Glandon and Aple D'huez one day..some years the day before [the friday] I would go out for a short valley ride towards the base of the lautaret/galibier and up the first section of that to 'wake' the legs up for race day :pac:

This was my routine which is based on being based in bourg d'oisans/allemont

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 415 ✭✭100Suns

Thanks for that. I think there's a few mountains like that around Dublin 7 that will be perfect to ease me into the cols:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 psychylist

hi - Am new to the forum - just wondering if anyone knows if there is accomodation still going either in Bourg or Alp d'huez just for myself. (meant to be!) doing the marmotte. any help appreciated

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 415 ✭✭100Suns

psychylist wrote: »
    hi - Am new to the forum - just wondering if anyone knows if there is accomodation still going either in Bourg or Alp d'huez just for myself. (meant to be!) doing the marmotte. any help appreciated

I've contacted our shepherd for the trip-he might have a spot for a lady sharing with a lady (starting to stray into Little Britain territory :eek:). So, if your a lady, and dont mind sharing with another lady, pm me and I'll send yout the contact details.

I read that the Galibier is closed for another 2 weeks for snow reasons btw :)

have a look at these guys, they still have flats for the Marmotte week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 psychylist

Cheers 100suns for the offer but i'm a guy (unfortunately?!). Will follow up on that other link and see if they have anything.

Cheers 100suns for the offer but i'm a guy (unfortunately?!).

since your a guy you might be more willing to rough it in style with hundreds of other marmotters in the 'La Piscine' campsite, on the road just before the climb to Alpe dhuez. They have a big field as spillover area from when the camping fills up at marmotte time, everyone in the field will be doing the marmotte almoist always. Its a first come first served thing, get there 2 days before the race and you will have no problems getting a pitch in it, leaving it to trhe last minute [friday] might be pushing it, but there is always room for another tent, you just might not have a whole lot of space thats all. The field is part of the camping so you have access to everything in the camping as normal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭ballyharpat

Hey UCD, would you consider yourself a good climber? Just trying to get a feel for these climbs, I put out about 4w/kg over 1/2 an hour, could probably hold that for an hour on a climb, when I am in shape.
    the 1st year Id did it I used a 39-25 -BIG mistake

the 2nd year I went compact 34 with a 23 11 (faster than a 53x12!)

the third year I went for a 34 - 25

and the 4th year was on 34 -25 training there b4 race, but changed to a 34 27 was a good move and gave the best avg cadence on the climbs during race.

for a comparison my PB was 7hrs 23min, and alpe d'huez time was 1hr 10/15 depending on where the finish is :pac: and my PB for alpe dhuez is 58min for a TT.

you probably wont get a chance to use it propperly though at those speeds you will most likely be tucking in (or should be!)

Advertisement