Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thanks Alive for helping me make my mind up

Options
  • 10-09-2009 10:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭

I voted no the last time. I stand by that vote and still think I did the right thing.

This time however I finally made my decision after reading the Irish Times this morning about the advert in Alive from Eire go Brach. Seemingly if Lisbon is passed the EU could seize the elderly's homes and put children of people with depression in care. And according to their website it will "makeIreland a subject-state to the EU Empire, putting our Nation under the control of a foreign parliament" - seriously - that's a direct quote, as is "Dáil Éireann is transformed into a Home Rule parliament". While this may not be a bad thing considering the current shower in place ;) it's still bull****.

After Coir's posters of half-truths I was leaning towards yes but still on the fence. But this group is just plain full of it and it's being distributed to churchgoers all over the country.

Some of my original concerns about the treaty have been alleviated already - not all. But I have yet to hear a single coherent argument to vote no - most of the no argument is comprised of half-truths and the rest is just plain lies. But the yes arguments are clear. The yes side are not innocent of half-truths and mudslinging either but at least there are clear reasons to vote yes. So unless there's some compelling argument to change my mind that's the way I'll be voting.

Thanks Eire go Brach for clearing that up for me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭flanzer

There was a bit a scarmongering during the previous campaign but the scarmongering and lies I've seen on the posters and advertising boards are beyond a joke and has convinced me where my vote is going.

IMO the No campaign is loosing momentum and are trying to gain credibily back using 'shock and awe' methods

This thread says it all really

I don't want my country down the back corner of the class wearing a peaked hat with the letter 'D' on it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭Hitman Actual

This is being discussed now on Sean Moncrieff. Editor of Alive and Marian Harkin.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Keewee6

i agree the scaremogering is terrible - the more i hear vote yes - the more i vote no

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Keewee6 wrote: »
    i agree the scaremogering is terrible - the more i hear vote yes - the more i vote no
    If you've nothing constructive to add to a conversation, please don't post.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

Congrats on being the very first poster on boards.ie to make my 'ignore' list...

oscarBravo wrote: »
    If you've nothing constructive to add to a conversation, please don't post.

its constructive as far as im concerned = i will post

its constructive as far as im concerned = i will post
    Unfortunately for you, my standards are substantially higher, and I get to decide whether or not you get to post.

For the avoidance of doubt, this is a moderator instruction: if you have nothing constructive to post, don't post. This isn't up for discussion. Read the charter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Thanks for that. I didn't even look for their website. That ad is absolutely amazing - not in a good way.

btw - thanks also for the links in your sig. I love the searchable treaty.
    Funny - I haven't heard any Yes campaigners saying that persons of unsound mind will be detained or lose their children to the state if we vote no. Maybe I'm reading the wrong papers. :rolleyes: Thanks for your post - it's as informative as the other posts of yours I've read in this forum.

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Unfortunately for you, my standards are substantially higher, and I get to decide whether or not you get to post.

For the avoidance of doubt, this is a moderator instruction: if you have nothing constructive to post, don't post. This isn't up for discussion. Read the charter.

i apoligize

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

This is being discussed now on Sean Moncrieff. Editor of Alive and Marian Harkin.
    I can't listen to stuff in work. How did it go?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

humanji wrote: »
    Apparently the EU is a communist conspiracy...no joke.

taconnol wrote: »
    We need a head-to-head debate between Alive and Joe Higgins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

It says that on the Eire go Brach site - here: "European Union is on its way to becoming anotherSoviet Union". Everyone should read this site - it's so bad it's nearly funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭flanzer

taconnol wrote: »

Prepare for 'It's run by lizards campaign' from Coir and the like so!

The whole 'yes' argument was a farce last time round, this time the whole 'no' campaign is a joke.

The sooner this whole sorry mess is over and we vote in our European intentions, the better

humanji wrote: »
    Tame enough, tbh*. The Alive guy was about as rational as you could expect an ultra-conservative anti-Lisbon catholic priest to be. He tried to make the case that by running the ad they were bringing up issues that the Pro-yes campaigners were ignoring. Marian Harkin made the case that that they were wrong to run something so bizarre and misinformed that would clearly scare a lot of people. She came across quite well, but she normally does. The general impression I got from Moncrieff and the listeners texting in was that the ad was too bizarre to be believed anyway. [The problem with that is that I'm sure the ad will have an effect on ultra-catholic people, but they're probably going to vote No anyway.]

*After that main slot was over, I missed the part where an Erin Go Brach mentalist came on and put their case. I just switched back as himself and Marian were having a go at each other, and Moncrief finished up the slot. That was the juicy part, think.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Tame enough, tbh*. The Alive guy was about as rational as you could expect an ultra-conservative anti-Lisbon catholic priest to be. He tried to make the case that by running the ad they were bringing up issues that the Pro-yes campaigners were ignoring. Marian Harkin made the case that that they were wrong to run something so bizarre and misinformed that would clearly scare a lot of people. She came across quite well, but she normally does. The general impression I got from Moncrieff and the listeners texting in was that the ad was too bizarre to be believed anyway. [The problem with that is that I'm sure the ad will have an effect on ultra-catholic people, but they're probably going to vote No anyway.]

*After that main slot was over, I missed the part where an Erin Go Brach mentalist came on and put their case. I just switched back as himself and Marian were having a go at each other, and Moncrief finished up the slot. That was the juicy part, think.

Do they put up podcasts usually afterwards?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

this is no reason to vote yes

marco_polo wrote: »
    Do they put up podcasts usually afterwards?
    I'm not sure about Moncrief's show. The sports show "Off the Ball" often release podcasts, but I'd be surprised if they archive all their shows. I'd like to hear the bit I missed myself, tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭eightyfish

Macros42 wrote: »
    It says that on the Eire go Brach site - here: "European Union is on its way to becoming anotherSoviet Union". Everyone should read this site - it's so bad it's nearly funny.

The slogan at the bottom of their site - "Keep Ireland Irish" - hints of racism anybody?
    Reasons to vote NO:
    The Irish Republic will be abolished to foreign control. (lie)
    EU politicians will have absolute control over our lives. (lie)
    100% of Ireland's laws will be decided in a foreign parliament. (lie)
    The EU Immigration-Plantation will destroy Ireland's identity. (racist)
    Cheap foreign labour will devastate Irish wages.(racist)
    Continued EU regulations will result in massive unemployment.(made up)
    Political fraud will be impossible to investigate or cure.(made up)
    The EU Treaty attacks the Irish family.(lie)
    Abortion will be forced on Ireland, killing unborn children.(lie)
    Farming and Rural Ireland will economically suffer the most.(made up)
    Ireland's prosperity and competitiveness will be weakened.(made up)
    Stealth Taxes will continue to be enforced.(made up)

Note the repeated use of the word "foreign". These right-wing-catholic-f*ck-heads don't seem to even realise we're in the EU.

• Advertisement

More so xenophobia, in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭thebigcheese22

Unrelated to Lisbon but kinda relates to how Coir are so crazy...

In 'What God means to me' -
    One of my
    friends had tried to commit suicide
    and another friend had
    become a witch.
    I had never been the most popular
    girl and as most teenagers do,
    I felt fairly worthless a lot of the
    time.

You can't make this stuff up!!! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭ilovelamp2000

Macros42 wrote: »
    I voted no the last time. I stand by that vote and still think I did the right thing.

This time however I finally made my decision after reading the Irish Times this morning about the advert in Alive from Eire go Brach. Seemingly if Lisbon is passed the EU could seize the elderly's homes and put children of people with depression in care. And according to their website it will "makeIreland a subject-state to the EU Empire, putting our Nation under the control of a foreign parliament" - seriously - that's a direct quote, as is "Dáil Éireann is transformed into a Home Rule parliament". While this may not be a bad thing considering the current shower in place ;) it's still bull****.

After Coir's posters of half-truths I was leaning towards yes but still on the fence. But this group is just plain full of it and it's being distributed to churchgoers all over the country.

Some of my original concerns about the treaty have been alleviated already - not all. But I have yet to hear a single coherent argument to vote no - most of the no argument is comprised of half-truths and the rest is just plain lies. But the yes arguments are clear. The yes side are not innocent of half-truths and mudslinging either but at least there are clear reasons to vote yes. So unless there's some compelling argument to change my mind that's the way I'll be voting.

Thanks Eire go Brach for clearing that up for me.

What's clear about the "yes" arguments ? What are the reasons for voting yes ?

eightyfish wrote: »
    The slogan at the bottom of their site - "Keep Ireland Irish" - hints of racism anybody?

Note the repeated use of the word "foreign". These right-wing-catholic-f*ck-heads don't seem to even realise we're in the EU.

You should probably go and look up the definition of racism.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Rosco1982 wrote: »

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=61327732&postcount=1

BlitzKrieg wrote: »

Thanks, but i was looking for the opinion of the OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Thanks, but i was looking for the opinion of the OP.

look at the thank list on the post I gave you. his name is on there.

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    look at the thank list on the post I gave you. his name is on there.

And that means it's something he believes ?

I thought it was just a "thanks" thing.

It looks to me that the OP is making a decision based on a whim, because one group of idiots annoyed him a bit. I think it's a shame someone would make an important decision based on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

At this stage, putting distance between myself and Cóir, Sinn Féin, Joe Higgins & Co, People Before Profit, Alive, UKIP, Patricia McKenna, and the other lunatic fringe people seems to be a sufficient reason to vote yes.

The fact that Lisbon is some fairly unexciting but useful housekeeping has become a secondary reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

vote "yes for europe"
    "yes for jobs"

both of these i consider "lies"

Advertisement