Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free Astronomy Observing Session in Skerries Sept. 11 @ 9PM

Options
  • 10-09-2009 10:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,179 ✭✭✭

For any of you out there interested in Astronomy, North County Dublin Astronomy Group will be holding a free observing session at Red Island in Skerries, tomorrow night, Friday September 11th. from 9PM til 12AM.

We'll have people on hand to show you around the night sky and fill you in on what's visible to the naked eye. We will also have some telescopes available to let you have a closer look at some of the more interesting sights like Jupiter and the Moon. No equipment is necessary but if you have a pair of Binoculars or your own telescope then feel free to bring them along. We'll do our best to answer any questions you have.

This is the first meeting of the North County Dublin Astronomy Group. We hope to have more over the coming weeks and months. We've set up a facebook group here: http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=logo#/group.php?gid=132352033317 which we'll keep updated with meeting dates and times.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭yknaa

This sounds great. Hope to pop along for a look. Many thanks for the info.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Didn't get this in time but would have gone along. How did it go?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,179 ✭✭✭squonk

We had a good night. Had about 10-15 people there and some people brought their kids along who were very enthusiastic. We had about 4 or 5 telescopes there set up that anyone could have a look through and some of the lads gave tours of the night sky using a laser pointer which was really great for pointing out particular features like the Andromeda Galaxy and the space shuttle and ISS. There were some great views of Jupiter and it's moons to be seen through the scopes as well.

Currently I'm hoping to organise another meeting for around the 25th. I'll update the NCD group with the details closer the time so if you're interested in attending, watch this space or head over to the Astronomy & space forum.

I've also created a facebook group which you can join and be kept up to date with any news or annoucements. http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=logo#/group.php?gid=132352033317&ref=ts

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Cheers. I've joined the facebook group. I have a fight on the 26th so can't attend on the 25th (I'll need all the sleep I can muster :)) but I'll head along some night alright.

Advertisement