Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bin charges, water charges - tenant or landlord pays?

Options
  • 10-09-2009 10:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭

if i'm renting my house... and water charges come in, is that paid by the tennants or by me?

also, at the mo, i'm paying all bin charges.. as i'm living in the house with the tennants... if i move out, is it unreasonalbe to expect them to pay?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,304 ✭✭✭markpb

I can't see any reason why tenants would not pay both of those.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭Kipperhell

bacon? wrote: »
    if i'm renting my house... and water charges come in, is that paid by the tennants or by me?

also, at the mo, i'm paying all bin charges.. as i'm living in the house with the tennants... if i move out, is it unreasonalbe to expect them to pay?

The model is simple the user pays. While you are living in the house things are different as you are under different rules and what ever you agree for the letting is set. If you never mentioned shared household costs then you can only really add that cost at the start of a lease.Not many people letting are going to like a change to costs. You may have to reduce the rent and then add the charges no net gain but more responsible use. Amazing how many people started using the green bin once it effected their pocket. If you move out the nature of the letting is fundamentally different

You don't pay the tenant's electrical or gas bill so the same applies to other service bills. I suggest always writing out services likely to be incurred by the tenant including a TV licence. Many tenants think if you provide a TV you are responsible for the licence.

There is nothing unreasonable about this but some people will act unreasonably when it costs them money.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭bacon?

Kipperhell wrote: »
    The model is simple the user pays. While you are living in the house things are different as you are under different rules and what ever you agree for the letting is set. If you never mentioned shared household costs then you can only really add that cost at the start of a lease.Not many people letting are going to like a change to costs. You may have to reduce the rent and then add the charges no net gain but more responsible use. Amazing how many people started using the green bin once it effected their pocket. If you move out the nature of the letting is fundamentally different

You don't pay the tenant's electrical or gas bill so the same applies to other service bills. I suggest always writing out services likely to be incurred by the tenant including a TV licence. Many tenants think if you provide a TV you are responsible for the licence.

There is nothing unreasonable about this but some people will act unreasonably when it costs them money.

cool

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭shovelsfc

not fair on the tennents too, negotiate something between the tennents and yourself!

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭bacon?

shovelsfc wrote: »
    not fair on the tennents too, negotiate something between the tennents and yourself!

i could drop the rent a bit i guess...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

shovelsfc wrote: »

whats not fair ? You use you pay its very simple.

Some people think they are owed the world ...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

Probably fairest is landlord pays standing charges, tenant pays usge charges, although that's not how it works with electricity/gas, so i'm not sure why it'd apply to bins...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,650 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

bacon? wrote: »

Normally the property owner is liable for Property related charges and the property would factor this in when setting the rent.

This is something which should be covered in the lease agreement with the tenant.

Normally the property owner is liable for Property related charges and the property would factor this in when setting the rent.

This is something which should be covered in the lease agreement with the tenant.

Water and bins are both service charges. The landlord's liability on management fees and insurance on the property would be property related charges. I could see a little bit of a grey area on the water in fairness as it would be a standing charge more so at the moment but as that will change it will be the tenants cost.
    The lease should state everything clearly but the standard leases from the likes of Eason's are not very specific.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,387 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Landlords are currently responsible to ensure bin charges are paid. They will often pass this responsibility on to the tenant.

I imagine a similar situation will arise with water charges.

• Advertisement

Victor wrote: »
    Landlords are currently responsible to ensure bin charges are paid. They will often pass this responsibility on to the tenant.

I imagine a similar situation will arise with water charges.

I am pretty sure the legislation states the landlord must insure there is a service and it is paid but not that they take the cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

A lot of co.co's and local authorities have annual charges - if the tenants aren't there for the full calendar year it's unfair to expect them to pay for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

While the situation in Australia is different to that of Ireland, in Oz, landlords pay the rates which covers bin charges amongst other things. Landlords also pay the water, but the tenent is billed for excess water usage.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,787 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Kipperhell wrote: »
    I am pretty sure the legislation states the landlord must insure there is a service and it is paid but not that they take the cost.

Nope, I don't think it says this at all. As far as I know, the law is silent on the matter of landlord liability for bin charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Sand Wedge

In UK Landlords pay rates. This is factored into rent. Think Landlords are going to take the hit on any water rates coming in!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

Water bills come once per year, so the tenants may have changed before a year is through. Therefore it would be best to factor the cost into the rent – spreading it over the year.

Advertisement