Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I killed my kit lens :(

• 10-09-2009 11:00am
    Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Well, OK, it's not dead, but it ain't happy.

The 18-55 that came with my EOS 1000D got very, very wet on my Denmark trip - think water pouring out of it. I left it in a warm, dry place until it seemed to be completely dry and had no sign of condensation anywhere - but the autofocus doesn't work.

The aperture works fine (I've no way of knowing whether IS still works), and I can use it quite happily in MF mode, but I miss the sheer convenience of AF, and it's a handy little lens to have.

Is it feasible to get it repaired? The quote I got in Denmark sounded like about what I'd pay for a used one on eBay, so I suspect the answer is no.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

I'd say you'd pick up one on eBay for the same as a repair, I think they're about 60-100 quid?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

I sold one of those lenses a couple of weeks ago at the DCC Auction. IIRC it went for €30, one of the Canon users may recall as I shifted a fair bit of stuff that night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

I think when it comes to kit lenses you may as well just invest in a new one. I had a kit lens and the bit that connectd to the camera broke, just a tiny bit, but the repair shop just told me I was better off getting a new one. You may get a used one in Conns cheap enough if not on adverts here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,275 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I've seen the 18-55 IS go for less than €50 on ebay lots of times. Complete glut of them for sale on the second hand market so you'll definitely pick up one cheaper than a repair. Be cheeky with your bids and you could pick a new one up for twenty euros or so...

Or you could use this as an opportunity to upgrade to the 17-55 f/2.8 IS USM if you've some spare cash (unlikely in this climate I know!)

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Cool, I'll have a look over eBay, so.

Matter of interest, what's the chances of being able to repair it myself once I've got a new one? There's no point trying to sell it, so the worst-case scenario is to go from a dysfunctional lens to a completely banjaxed one... ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,406 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

It's the electrical bits in the lens so repairing might be tricky or impossible

opened a simple manual lens recently and even that got very messy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Cool, I'll have a look over eBay, so.

Matter of interest, what's the chances of being able to repair it myself once I've got a new one? There's no point trying to sell it, so the worst-case scenario is to go from a dysfunctional lens to a completely banjaxed one... ;)

There ain't much hope at all really, it's most likely going to be an electronic fault rather than a physical one, and if it's dry already and still not working, well... you know yourself!

You could just open it and see how a lens works. Or you could buy a stainless steel mug from a shop, gut the lens, mount the cup in, and have yourself a kit lens coffee mug.

If you're taking it apart, remember to keep the mount of it - If you were bored in the future, you could always try make your own lenses, pinhole, soft focus or zone plate. :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

I pulled apart my Nikon Kit Lens from the D70S. It was an 18-70 zoom. It was not worth repair & after I had a look it was not good for anything. I replaced it with the 18-200 VR lens.

Rather than get another Kit Lens why not put the money towards something a bit better?

I could not believe how plasticy & cheap the Canon Kit Lens felt.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I definitely would like something better, but funding's a bit of an issue at the moment.

Advertisement