Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Horrorthon.

Options
  • 10-09-2009 11:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭

Well ... it's getting close to that time of year again. The horrorthon is only about a month and a half away. (Assuming it's in it's traditional October bank holiday weekend.)

Have been going along for a few years now, and always enjoyed myself. Try to catch as many films as I can, usually get the full weekend ticket.

So who's going along? Any ideas about what's on show ... or what might be on show?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

I managed to go along last yeat it was very good but I doubt ill make it this year as I get home from my hols on that friday and will be too wrecked to go to any of it htis year me thinks...

Still I would love to go along....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭Decuc500

I've been going since the first year (Deep Rising, yay!) so I'll probably check out a few films.

It's great that there is a horror film festival in Dublin although sometimes I want it to be more like Frightfest with all new movies rather than the way they usually do it with some new movies and a lot of old, cheesy (so bad they're good) films.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Vampireskiss

Whats the horrorton,please explain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Its a horror movie festival that runs in the IFI every year around Halloween.Looking at past programs its mostly crap that gets screened IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭Sleazus

nedtheshed wrote: »
    Its a horror movie festival that runs in the IFI every year around Halloween.Looking at past programs its mostly crap that gets screened IMO.

Crap and cheesy goodness!

They screened Night of the Lepus last year!
    Killer rabbits ravage a model town while we insert shots of actors looking panicked!

In fairness, they also do classics like Dawn of the Dead and such. Worth a look, anyway.

• Advertisement

Well the programme for the last few years was pish IMO.

I know they screened Cannibal Holocaust a few years ago and had a Q+A with Deodata afterwards.Now thats something that would interest me.

Im kinda hoping that something like the original Last House on the Left will get a screening seeing as it was passed uncensored in the last 12 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭fergisimo

Anyone know when they're announcing the line up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Cactus Col

nedtheshed wrote: »
    Well the programme for the last few years was pish IMO.

I pretty much disagree with that. I think they do a good job showing big new releases (such as Midnight Meat Train, Quarantine, etc), much smaller new releases ( The Disappeared, Mum + Dad, etc), foreign films (timecrimes, Martyrs), well known classics (evil dead 2, dawn of the dead) and older lesser known films.

And those were all from last year! Sure some of the quality of the cheaper films aren't always great. But they can have good ideas behind them.
    fergisimo wrote: »
    Anyone know when they're announcing the line up?

Usually don't announce the line up to pretty close to the even, and even then tickets only go on sale a wake or so before hand. Can be quite frustrating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭mbv

Saturday 24th October, Horrorthon, Irish Film Institute, Temple Bar, Dublin.

15.45: Day of the Dead (with Joe Pilato in attendance for audience Q&A).

18.00: PREMIERE: Zone of the Dead (this hotly tipped Romero homage will have the star, Ken Foree, in attendance for an audience Q&A).

Day of the Dead,on the big screen,with Rhodes in attendance?:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭fergisimo

Trick R' Treat, Jennifer's Body, Day Of The Dead, The Hills Run Red, Gremlins, Thirst, Zone Of The Dead, At Midnight I'll Take Your Soul, The Descent 2, Frenzy, Black Dynamite and Silent Night, Deadly Night!

****...that is a good line-up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

mbv wrote: »

15.45: Day of the Dead (with Joe Pilato in attendance for audience Q&A).
    :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

I demand a source!

If this is a lie I'll tear you in half and choke on your entrails!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Adr.

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭carbonkid

Line up looks...ok...i hope lol. Hopefully there will be some nice surprises in there. Every year there's usually one of two really good horror flicks i would never have seen otherwise.

Zone of the dead looks awful...cant wait!!!

Think there might be a few more movies to be announced / organised ... usually the first film on the friday is around 2 / 2.30pm ... and saturday looks particularily bare without any early or late films.

Bit of luck these will be older films.

In the age of the internet it's harder to find films that aren't available to most... and impossible to please everyone. Have been going to the horrorthon for the last 4 / 5 years, and have yet to have anything less than a good time.

Will most definetly be getting the 5 day pass again.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Vim Fuego

I bought my 5 day pass today. Haven't been to the IFI in a while, seems to be under construction so I had to go round the back and into the office to get tickets. Annoyingly the chap printing the tickets gave me a few tickets to clashing movies and forgot a few others (Black Dynamite/Tony). I'll have to take a trip back later so I recommend checking your tickets when you get them.

I wish they'd let you buy the festival pass online though (as opposed to individual films), would save a bit of hassle.

Anyway, enough giving out, really looking forward to it. I haven't really been following horror as closely as I used to so a lot of the films are news to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

The Screen cinema are doing their own line up of classics for Halloween now:

The Thing, Night of The Living Dead, Childs Play, Evil Dead 2, The Shining, The Lost Boys, Ghost and a surprise film.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭WadeTalon

Sounds like they are trying to butt in on the action. All of the films listed were shown in the Horrorthon over the last three years, Surprise film will probably be the new Piece of muck Saw installment

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭columok

In fairness not a bad lineup for the screen. It's not like the surprise film in the IFI is of spectacular calibre. Is this the same weekend as the horrorthon?

Still not sure what to book tickets for (IFI). Maybe house of the devil and the surprise film. Went to see Martyrs and the surprise film last year!!! Figure we're due a good surprise sooner or later. Surveillance was just bizarre.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

The Screen is the following weekend. Personally I'm happier seeing classics up on the big screen than taking a chance on more modern dross.

Surprise films in general are always terrible though.

Last time I took a chance on the Horrothon surprise film it was some awful wrestler vehicle called See No Evil.

But that same year they showed stuff like The Devil Rides Out and Demons. That's the sort of stuff I love to see.

• Advertisement

Anyone else go for the opening two movies last night?

Jennifer's Body was fairly pants. I thought of it as the kind of horror film that the stereotypical D4 girl might like. Lots of Megan looking, you know, totally hot and leading yucky boys on while her jealous friend Needy (?) should like build a bridge and get over that her boyf totally prefers Megan.

The Juno-style hip dialogue (and I like Juno) was really annoying in this. Also, are the band supposed to be The Killers? There are a number of similarities. Only enjoyed this screening because someone a few seats down was going into convulsions of fright any time there was even a slightly jumpy moment.

Trick r Treat was much more enjoyable. Fairly tame but it had a great Halloween atmosphere, looks great, interesting interlinking stories and a solid cast (Anna Paquin, Dylan Baker and especially Brian Cox).

Both screening were fairly packed so looks like it was a good start for the organisers.

Yeah, went along last night. I went in to Jennifer's Body expecting to dislike it, truth be told. Thought Juno was alright, if harmless enough, and think Megan Fox is overrated in terms of looks and talent.
    I think this kind of hipster horror is more suited for people who don't watch horror films.

Trick R Treat was a good bit of fun, Dylan Baker was great in it. Didn't think it'd be half as packed as it was. The late film crowds are usually made up of the die hards...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭MikeC101

Thinking of heading up to it tomorrow. Should I be booking tickets in advance?

The films I'm most interested in:

Saturday
    DAY OF THE DEAD - I don't need to explain this one!
    ZONE OF THE DEAD - why not, it's a zombie flick, how bad can it be. (answers on a postcard)
    THE HOUSE OF THE DEVIL - slow burning horror, yes please.

Sunday
    TONY - comparisons to Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer interested me.
    BLACK - "Tarantino-esque tropes bump uglies with African magic realism" - that line sold me on it!
    HORRORTHON SURPRISE FILM - Cos, well, it's a surprise!

Monday
    NIGHTMARES IN RED, WHITE AND BLUE - A documentary on the horror film - what's not to like!
    SALVAGE - intrigued by this one, but the low budget might be an issue.
    THE HORSEMAN - sounds good, I enjoy a revenge flick from time to time.
    THE DESCENT 2 - liked the first, didn't think it needed a sequel, but I'd like to see it on a big screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭Acacia

Could anyone tell me what the surprise film yesterday was called? I saw it and really liked it, but missed the name!

Thanks guys!:)

It was called Paranormal Activity. Thought it was pretty good myself :-)

Its certainly generating alot of hype in the states.The makers are telling people they will only release it in theatres if a certain amount of people sign a petition.

I would like to see them show something truly original at some stage though.

Something like The Poughkeepsie Tapes would merit buying a ticket.

Loved Paranormal Activity, a great film.

Was really pleased with the Horrorthon this year, most of the guests were great fun. Ian McCulloch being the most entertaining and pleasant, but Ken Foree and Joe Pilati were great too.

A couple of dodge films, but that's always the risk.

Although didn't catch The Decent 2 in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭Decuc500

I thought Paranormal Activity as the surprise film was a great choice. It seemed to go down very well with the audience. It was very creepy and I loved the ending. Shame the trailer gives the final shot away. Probably not much of a surprise in the end though due to the security surrounding the screening.

I also really liked Trick 'R Treat. The best film John Carpenter never made!

Best film I saw over the weekend was The Horseman, a really hardcore Australian revenge movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Was really hard not to post about Paranormal Activity before it was shown at this.

For anyone thats interested it gets general release on Wednesday 25th November in about 50 cinemas across the country. Its taken in over $62.5m so far in the box office, knocking the piss out of Saw VI.

I'm just back from a meeting about this and will be giving away 5 pairs of tickets to a special screening at 6.30pm on Saturday (Halloween) along with 5 pairs of tickets to the Dublin Paranormal Convention (Nov. 7th) on this Thursdays Adrian Kennedy PhoneShow Halloween Special on fm104.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭WadeTalon

Great Horrorthon , had a brilliant time , got some nice little prizes and ate alot of Dark Kit Kats.

Highlight movies of the weekend for me were . Trick r Treat , Day of the Dead, Black Dynamite (not a horror but it was the best comedy ive seen in a long time)American Horror:Red white and blue, Tony , The Horseman , House of the Devil , The Disturbed (from the director of Dead meat) ,Paranormal activity and Gremlins.

Worst Films : The Decent 2 , Salvage (first twenty minutes were great then it turned to muck) , Grace , Jennifers Body

Honorable Mentions, Black (nice heist movie let down by an out of place last 20 minutes) Zone of the Dead and The hills run red. all good films well worth a watch

Also Ken Foree from Dawn of the dead is a legend, myself and a friend walked out of screen 1 on Saturday directly into him , we just stood mouths wide unable to talk, man is a legend and a gentleman, very friendly and approachable.

Well done to Ed and everyone else involved had a great weekend roll on 2010

Advertisement