Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cross-processing pointers

• 10-09-2009 11:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭

Hi all,

I'm about to put in an order on 7dayshop for a few rolls of film, and I'm considering buying some slide film to experiment with cross-processing. Anyone have any tips or pointers for a newbie? e.g.
    film recommendations?
    What works in terms of type of picture/composition for crossprocessing?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

I've tried a few different slide films for X-Pro. DO NOT use provia 400x :D I've x-pro'd two rolls of that and gotten dreadful results both times. Which is a complete waste because as a slide film its sublime.

Do get a couple of rolls of fuji 64t if 7dayshop still stock it. Its resulted in my favourite x-pro'd shots. Do a tag search on my stream for some examples.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭trican

Cool Daire, will pick up a roll of that then. Do you typically underexposure the rated iso by a stop? So ISO 32 then for the film you mentioned - which will mean only outdoor shots in bright light?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

trican wrote: »
    Cool Daire, will pick up a roll of that then. Do you typically underexposure the rated iso by a stop? So ISO 32 then for the film you mentioned - which will mean only outdoor shots in bright light?

welll, actually shooting 64t at iso 32 actually overexposes it by a stop. Generally people recommend underexposing by a stop though, so that'd be shot at 100 or so. I've never bothered, and gotten acceptable results. I shoot at the box speed unless I have to bump it up a stop (it's pretty slow as-is). And yes, outdoors in reasonably bright light is where its at. Although my favourite shot below I took in a pub under flourescents at night with a 20mm balanced on the edge of a table IIRC, it was about 1/10th of a second or something.

1248295270_9d340c80d1.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

look for some old AGFA CT precisa on ebay and the like. it is by far the best for XProcessing. check out flickr groups also but as a rule of thumb, fuji gives a slightly green tint, kodak red, agfa saturates without shiftinig colors too much.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

some ektachrome is pretty nice

3429646456_a65e572d69.jpg

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the advice guys!

I thought I'd follow up with some results from my cross processing experiments. The first roll was a mixed bag, partially my fault as I set the ISO completely randomly. Anyhow I went for Agfa Precisa 100, I found out the newer batches of this seem have a green tinge rather than a blue tinge.... will definitely experiment further....

3977643200_e90ec618a8_b.jpg

3977501386_dddd2b0d3e_b.jpg

3976857155_66a1ae7b4e_b.jpg

3976766711_67e03d4d03_b.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭jjoconnor

look for some old AGFA CT precisa on ebay and the like. it is by far the best for XProcessing. check out flickr groups also but as a rule of thumb, fuji gives a slightly green tint, kodak red, agfa saturates without shiftinig colors too much.

Precisa is great, shame it's hard to buy in Dublin. I'd certainly recommend trying Provia - if you're looking for punchy saturated colour without too much of a shift in one single colour.

Provia cross process

http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=provia%20xpro&w=all

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Will23

any of you guys know where to get one's hands on some afga precisia these days? without paying a fortune?!

Advertisement