Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cowboy tiler left tiles in a mess! Help!

• 10-09-2009 11:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 28

Hi all. I am not sure if this thread should be in the interior design and decorating category, so please feel free to move it if necessary.
    We have just moved into our newly built house, tiler did three bathrooms and a large run of tiles through kitchen, utility, sun room and hall.
    Tiling job not bad but it was beneath him to clean off the tiles. We are left with the task of cleaning them down, they are v dusty and bits of blobs of grout in the odd place.
    We want to seal the tiles also, but first we need to clean them- what is the best way or can anyone recommend any product to clean them properly?
    Many thanks :(

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,468 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Couple of washes and then buff to a shine with dry clothe usually

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Couple of washes as said. There is also an acid if its stubborn. I doubt he was a cowboy though just because of this. They usually require cleaning for about a week unless you use the acid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Mrs Smith

Thanks v much for that, we'll be busy over the weekend then so.
    We have had a few issues with the tiler that warrant him being branded a cowboy, but I won't go into it here- I could write a book at this stage :rolleyes:
    Thanks again for the advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 BIMP

Use lithofin products to clean tiles. expensive but v good. use pointy piece of timber to scrap any grout, etc. if natural stone tiles, use litofin stain stop then seal 24 hrs later with lithofin sealer. im not sales man by the way just know wat im taliking about

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Wonky Knees

Did you ask the tiler to come back? If so what was said?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭wait4me

There is also an acid if its stubborn.

A quick question. I remember a tiler using this acid (Sulphuric H2SO4) I think) on my tiles a few years ago. Where do get the acid and how do you apply it? Thanks in advance...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,321 ✭✭✭✭muffler

wait4me wrote: »
    A quick question. I remember a tiler using this acid (Sulphuric H2SO4) I think) on my tiles a few years ago. Where do get the acid and how do you apply it? Thanks in advance...
    Im not sure if you can buy sulphuric acid over the counter any more. I'm open to correction on this.

I suspect this is an attempt to procure a lethal and quite deadly acid or else a very dangerous misunderstanding as to the nature of the material sought. I will not be able to help you i am very sorry
    muffler wrote: »
    Im not sure if you can buy sulphuric acid over the counter any more. I'm open to correction on this.

Your quite right. This is because it has been used quite extensivly during the troubles to make an acid b0mb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭wait4me

.....or else a very dangerous misunderstanding as to the nature of the material sought.
    Yup, an obviously dangerous misunderstanding of what I am seeking especially if other stuff can be made from it! :eek: Lucky I (and not herself) do the DIY at home and ask the wrong questions.

So what do I get to clean grout off tiles!:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

what type of tiles are they? Depending on what they are, sealant will or wont work on them, many tile shops will sell u a sealant anyway, but it will eventually make your tiles looks worse.
    hoover the tiles first (yes up the walls too). then hot soapy water. then let dry and hoover again. then dry dust.

• Advertisement

Yup, an obviously dangerous misunderstanding of what I am seeking especially if other stuff can be made from it! :eek: Lucky I (and not herself) do the DIY at home and ask the wrong questions.

So what do I get to clean grout off tiles!:confused:

Just use any of the products mentioned in post 5 above and you will be fine. As also mentioned above scrub the tiles to the best of your ability as most chemical cleaners do strip a certain degree of the coating. Although the more expensive the tile the thicker the coating. Generally speaking that is.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭me_right_one

Well where can any other type of acid be got?

Well where can any other type of acid be got?

For what? You can buy vinager in a shop this is a very good cleaning agent for cleaning lime from taps.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭me_right_one

For what? You can buy vinager in a shop this is a very good cleaning agent for cleaning lime from taps.

For anything! Frosting glass, etching metal patterns, cleaning pipes etc. I'm just curious

For anything! Frosting glass, etching metal patterns, cleaning pipes etc. I'm just curious

Try a pharmacist. Bring your licence/passort They usually take your name and address when buying certain acids. Especially curious people :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Mrs Smith

Thanks for all of the advice offered- and sorry for delay in thanking you all- we got in a good tiler recommended to us by lady in tile shop, and he has worked wonders, could definitely recommend him.
    End of a nightmare! Thanks again.

Advertisement