Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

utility to synch usb-drive and laptop files

Options
  • 10-09-2009 11:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 25,936 ✭✭✭✭

Looking for some advice:

I sometimes work and home on my machine, and sometimes elsewhere. I keep a bunch of important files on my laptop, and copy them on to a USB drive to work on when I'm elsewhere.

The top-level folder structure on the USB key is a little different to the laptop (for various reason: I don't walk to take all my files with me, and I want the filenames to look "bland" to start with in anyone else's recent-files lists).

Can anyone recommend a utility I can put on the laptop that will synch the two sources for me? Obvioulsly I'd have to map locations myself, to tell it that folder X/Y/Z on this machine should be the same as T/X/Y/Z on the flash drive. And I'd have to resolve any conflicts (eg if I'd accidentally changed both versions since the last synch). But I'd like to automate it a bit.

Thoughts? Or even recommendations on where I could research this a bit? (Has been a while since I looked for utilities, so I'm not even sure what good sources are now!)

Vital stats: Win XP, SP 2 with all updates taken, files mostly MS Office + various text and graphics. 2Gb USB with security on it (I have to manually unlock it before it can be used by any software).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Toucan - it's free. I use it, and it's fantastic, you can even grab the portable version from portableapps.com and let it live on your pendrive.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,395 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Allway Sync & it too is free.

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Advertisement