Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ai servo v ai focus v manual focus (sports photography)

• 10-09-2009 11:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭

Ive been doing alot of sports photography lately and personally cant decide what i prefer using and ive been told by different people oh you should def use 'which ever'.

Could someone tell me what they think is best and why, specifically for sports such as gaa, football, boxing etc.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

AI Servo for me as it is constantly tracking the subject,Rarely do i use any other Focus modes

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Ballyman

AI servo and MF is all I would use.

For general play druing a game then I'd use Servo as it will track moving players/horses.

I use MF for various other scenarios. LIke a lineout in rugby, I'd manual focus on the attacking teams jumpers and then when the bal is thrown in rattle off a few frames. With lots of moving targets in a lineout it can be difficult sometimes for Servo to get it right.

Another example of MF would be in showjumping where I'd MF on the top of the fence and fire off a a shot as the horse is clearing the fence. Depending on what angle you are to the fence then the Servo can get it wrong while the horse is coming into the fence.

Everyone will be different though and it's really what ever suits you on the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

One Shot - Single focus, no tracking.
    AI Focus - a mix between One shot and AI servo. The camera tries to decide.
    AI Servo - Camera tracks motion and keeps focus on that.

For where things stop/start, I'd use AI Focus. Where there is lots of action, then I'd use AI Servo.

On the 1D series, you only have one shot and AI Servo. So, then I just use AI Servo.

With the focus of the cameras, I'd almost never use manual. I'm just not as fast to focus as the camera itself.

Advertisement