Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Legalising cannibas to cure the resession?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

a young lad in some town in kildare was caught by a guard with some doob and got brought to court and fined 1000euro.
    thats a bit much, the worst part was it had a few paragraphs down the side of a page in the Kildare Post newspaper last week, thats where I heard about it. sh1t like that is not on, there must be more important 'news' to report

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭Dean820

I can't imagine Dunnes Stores selling it.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭generalmiaow

Terry wrote: »
    I read on a website that cannabis cures cancer and everything else.
    I completely believe it and am totally for the legalisation of cannabis.
    I also heard that if you smoke it, you can repel sharks.

While I actually would support legalising cannabis (and decriminalising every other plant and chemical) I also think it's pretty extreme the way legalisation supporters try to wrap up every single problem in the world up with cannabis leaves in the legalisation argument.

Apparently it eliminates the need for crime, medicine, coal, oil, gas, policemen, alcohol, cotton, money, shark repellent and everything else. We are told by supporters that cannabis use isn't likely to increase after legalising and yet we are also told that we can create huge tax revenue and invent industries out of nothing. Functioning industries need promotion to make any money and woe betide anyone who institutionally promotes smoking weed, because let's face it, it does cause health problems.

The present system of distribution, on the bottom two rungs at least, is perfectly fine in my opinion. It generates adventures, makes money for people who otherwise wouldn't, and the money they make will eventually go back into the economy in the form of VAT on Curly Wurlies. It's the fact that prohibition it gives the state the power to harass you and denormalise your personal choices that pisses me off, even though I don't touch the stuff anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

It will take a bit more than legalising cannabis to cure the recession me thinks....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

the concept that a persons ingestion should be legislated for is as crazy to me a s the concept that no job gets you 2/3 of a really unrewarding job's pay

dope unmotivates people the dole unmotivates people and neither will cure the recession

speed for all and coke for weekends thats the solutions lets see the chineese nike kids keep up with my mullingar speed freaks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭generalmiaow

Dean820 wrote: »
    I can't imagine Dunnes Stores selling it.

Funny enough I can't imagine any shop selling it. Obviously when cannabis is legalised it will be sold in special shops. People expect a rap from their drug dealers about how such and such "Orange Porsche Ferrari Caribbean kush" is the best thing ever, grown hydroponically in space after being mixed with dolphin DNA, smells like a rose garden and turns your CB1 receptors into wifi cards. You wouldn't get that from an old shopkeeper.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 base individual

I didn't read the whole thread but if we legalised cannabis would the whole country not be flooded with addicts from all over the world?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I think that was the point of the first post ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭Hauk

Another 6.6 million euro seized in Meath.

It's like draining the Atlantic with a tea spoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

I didn't read the whole thread but if we legalised cannabis would the whole country not be flooded with addicts from all over the world?
    Presuming cannabis was addictive in the first place, just think of the additional tourism!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭NOGMaxpower

Thank you for the replies to my previous post...

It all makes perfect sense to me, however just a note to those smokers out there who are worrie about VAT.

Question: Would you rather spend your hard earned cash on hash thats mixed with plastic, tar, oil, diesel, wood, human waste or smoke pure stuff? Also with green, you get crap stems, seeds (male plants) dry crap and sprayed with fibre glass.

Personally if we had to play VAT I would happy to do so. You can't put a price on quality especially when health is at risk.

Now the Australians have it right. In the state of Western Australia, its illegall to sell pot. But it is legal to grow it (bet you did't know that), its legal to have 1 plant per occupant in a residence. the only stipulation is you're not allowed to grown hydroponics (far too strong). I know a detecitve down there and he praises the system. Stating it makes their job easier so they dont have to waste time on stoners and they can concentrate on harder criminals and worse drug problems.

Also to a previous poster about stoners being lazy lay abouts. This is simply not true at all, however there is the same element of alcoholics as there are extreme smokers and there are a lot more drinkes in Ireland than there is pot heads. I know plenty of professionals who have extremely "high" no pun intended - jobs. THere will always be those who abuse a substance and those who enjoy it for what it is. Dont make fleeting generalisations like that it only deminishes your point.

Also I dont think it would solve our recession issues but it certnly would boost trade, tourism, employment and the all important tax revenue!!!!!!!!

again still no negitive that can't be rebutted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭NOGMaxpower

Presuming cannabis was addictive in the first place, just think of the additional tourism!

Cannabis is addictive its just like any other drug.

Re addict tourists, again what would you rather? Stag weekend piss heads coming over all aggressive and messy on our streets or passive quiet stoner types?

If you ever go to Amsterdam Piss heads stand out a mile and are frowned upon by everyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭roneythetube

Cannabis is addictive its just like any other drug.

Absolute rubbish ! - there are many many drugs that are not addictive. It is completely untrue to say that cannabis is just like any other drug. That statement is wrong on so many levels.

Is aspirin addictive? There are many studies and scales that indicate how addictive various drugs are.

Do SOME research before spouting whatever nonsense pops into your head.:rolleyes:

that is the problem with the current legal situation of cannabis. Most people have little or no correct information but they waffle away (both here and in the media and in Dail eireann and other pubs and clubs) as if they had the slightest clue what they were on about!

Educate yourself people!!!http://www.cannabis-med.org/index.php?lng=en

Find out something about this herb before giving your opinion!
    http://norml.org/index.cfm?Group_ID=7002

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

Absolute rubbish ! - there are many many drugs that are not addictive. It is completely untrue to say that cannabis is just like any other drug. That statement is wrong on so many levels.
    Judging by the tone of his post I think he meant that cannabis can be addictive just like anything that's enjoyable.
    Re addict tourists, again what would you rather? Stag weekend piss heads coming over all aggressive and messy on our streets or passive quiet stoner types?

If you ever go to Amsterdam Piss heads stand out a mile and are frowned upon by everyone.
    Not everyone who smokes is all peace and love, in fact, pretty much every scumbag I've known is partial to a bit of green. Tossers are tossers, whatever drug they're on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

Absolute rubbish ! - there are many many drugs that are not addictive.

Do SOME research before spouting whatever nonsense pops into your head.:rolleyes:

Its obvious the poster was using the word drugs to describe recreational illegal drugs because that is within context of the thread.
    You knew this yet you decided to jump down his/her throat, why was that? Did you not have a smoke today because If you did then you would be so mellow (or maybe that is a fallasy and people can be twats when smoking dope, different thread)

that is the problem with the current legal situation of cannabis. Most people have little or no correct information but they waffle away (both here and in the media and in Dail eireann and other pubs and clubs) as if they had the slightest clue what they were on about!

Educate yourself people!!!http://www.cannabis-med.org/index.php?lng=en

Find out something about this herb before giving your opinion!
    http://norml.org/index.cfm?Group_ID=7002

Cannabis users have a very high rate of habituation (compared to aspirin users) which is addiction whether you like it or not.

So chill out ourlad.

Go have a smoke, or even better go have a drink:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭roneythetube

Its obvious the poster was using the word drugs to describe recreational illegal drugs because that is within context of the thread.
    You knew this yet you decided to jump down his/her throat, why was that? Did you not have a smoke today because If you did then you would be so mellow (or maybe that is a fallasy and people can be twats when smoking dope, different thread)

Cannabis users have a very high rate of habituation (compared to aspirin users) which is addiction whether you like it or not.

So chill out ourlad.

Go have a smoke, or even better go have a drink:D

ARF! even more rubbish!:D

just trying to educate ya'll. . was not jumping down anyone's throat.

Just trying to clear up some of the misinformed sweeping generalisations that do not help in any context but are widespread in this debate.. your own ideas regarding cannabis habituation = addiction are WRONG! but thats ok - you don;t know any better. you soon will!:D

EDIT - good to see that almost 250 votes cast on this issue and over 80% are in favour...the times are a changing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

efla wrote: »
    Smoking is not good for you, and smoking marijuana less so.

Can i see a scientific study that shows smoking marijuana is more harmful than smoking tobacco please?

Would be an interesting read.

ARF! even more rubbish!:D .

Really, are you telling me that cannabis users do not have a higher habitation/psycological dependency than aspirin users?
    Because thats what I said and I stand by it.
    just trying to educate ya'll. . was not jumping down anyone's throat. .

If you are going to educate people you should know your subject and quite obviously you are blinded by pro dope propoganda.
    Just trying to clear up some of the misinformed sweeping generalisations that do not help in any context but are widespread in this debate.. your own ideas regarding cannabis habituation = addiction are WRONG! but thats ok - you don;t know any better. you soon will!:D.

You.... educate me. Ha ha ha ........
    EDIT - good to see that almost 250 votes cast on this issue and over 80% are in favour...the times are a changing.

Legalising cannabis will not cure the recession, and out of 194 people who voted yes how many really mean it:confused:......... Probably you and about 3 others could believe such a mental proposal....

Dragan wrote: »
    Can i see a scientific study that shows smoking marijuana is more harmful than smoking tobacco please?

Would be an interesting read.

The difference in amount and quality of studies carried out on cigarettes verses the ones carried out on marajuana would prevent any conclusive scientific studies but several factors can be extrapulated from studies carried out on cigareetes and marajuana.

Increased incidents of mental illness, primarily schizophrenia and depression have been proven results of scientific studies on regular cannabis use.

I know this has no relevance to your post but Iike posting it because its true (roneythetube take note)

But smoking related cardiovascular problems have also been associated with smoking marajuana.
    For one myocardial infarctions are over 4 time more likely to occur within an hour of smoking marajuana.

http://www.circ.ahajournals.org/cgi/reprint/103/23/2805

Thats a bit of a risk in my books and its comparible with cigarettes,

Anyway as it stands now many more studies need to be carried out to precisely track all effects in relation to cardivacular disease and lung damage which are mainly associated with cigarettes.
    You might say that the assocation has not been proven but I say that it has not been disproven yet either!

The difference in amount and quality of studies carried out on cigarettes verses the ones carried out on marajuana would prevent any conclusive scientific studies but several factors can be extrapulated from studies carried out on cigareetes and marajuana.

Increased incidents of mental illness, primarily schizophrenia and depression have been proven results of scientific studies on regular cannabis use.

I know this has no relevance to your post but Iike posting it because its true (roneythetube take note)
    You're confusing conjecture with fact; all that's been proven is that there's a correlation between cannabis consumption and schizophrenia. This short article explains more eloquently than I could the problems with trying to interpret these sort of studies, and how fallacious conclusions can be drawn from them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

That's not true, first of all you have to be predisposed to schizophrenia and you have to smoke it while your in your early teens. It's not true to say that every person will run the risk of developing schizophrenia from smoking weed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭wudangclan

ScumLord wrote: »
    That's not true, first of all you have to be predisposed to schizophrenia and you have to smoke it while your in your early teens. It's not true to say that every person will run the risk of developing schizophrenia from smoking weed.

and when you consider the actual numbers the amount of people who may be at higher risk ,because of smoking weed/hash,in ireland amounts to about a hundred or so.

Pace2008 wrote: »
    You're confusing conjecture with fact; all that's been proven is that there's a correlation between cannabis consumption and schizophrenia. This short article explains more eloquently than I could the problems with trying to interpret these sort of studies, and how fallacious conclusions can be drawn from them.

So are you telling me that a correlation proves nothing, because thats how I would argue the point if I was trying to defend cannabis... It doesnt make it right...
    Life is quite simple, if you carry out any series of actions
    For example

1 being walk to the door
    2 open the door
    3 walk out into the street
    4 throw a stone through your neighbours window
    5 walk further down the road
    6 go into a shop
    7 walk back towards your house
    8 get a punch of your neighbour
    9 fall down bleeding
    10 get up

If this series of events is carried out ten times and the series is the same then you have a platform

Now repeat it but change number 4 to smile at your neighbour

1 being walk to the door
    2 open the door
    4 smile at your neighbour
    6 go into a shop
    8 your neighbour smiles at you
    9 go back into your house
    10 relax and have a dooby

This surely shows a correlation between smashing your neighbours windows and getting a slap in the mouth and if you have any common sense you realise it is a fact, even though you might only call it a correlation

This sounded better in my head but anyway I hope you get the jist of it

As part of our ongoing coverage of the 2009 International Congress on Schizophrenia Research (ICOSR), 28 March to 1 April 2009, in San Diego, California, we bring you session summaries from some of the Young Investigator travel award winners. We are grateful for this summary by Elizabeth Tunbridge of the University of Oxford, U.K.

8 May 2009. Cannabis is the most widely used illicit substance, and its content of 9-Δ-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), the primary psychoactive ingredient, has been steadily rising. This is highly relevant to schizophrenia since regular cannabis use is associated with around a 40 percent increase in the risk of developing this disorder; the risk is particularly strong in those that start using cannabis before the age of 15. Furthermore, cannabis use has adverse cognitive and emotional effects, complicating its study, suggested Sagnik Bhattacharyya, who chaired the Monday 30 March afternoon session entitled “Different neural effects of cannabinoids in man—implications for psychosis and treatment.”

Bhattacharyya’s presentation focussed on the mechanisms by which cannabis acutely modulates cognitive function and psychotic symptoms. Cannabis is chemically complex, containing over 60 different cannabinoid compounds. Therefore, he focused initially on the effects of THC, which is thought to be responsible for most of cannabis’s adverse effects. He investigated the effect of THC on brain activation in healthy controls performing a verbal learning task. He showed that THC increased psychosis, anxiety, intoxication, and sedation in healthy volunteers. Under conditions where performance was matched between drug and placebo groups, THC attenuated the learning-related changes in medial temporal and ventral striatal activation with repeated trials, an effect which might reflect inefficiency of adaptive responses. Bhattacharyya also showed that the attenuation of ventral striatal activation induced by THC correlated with the psychotic symptoms that it induced. These data suggest that THC’s effects on medial temporal and ventral striatal function might mediate its effects on verbal learning and psychosis, respectively, in regular cannabis users.

In addition to examining the effects of THC, Bhattacharyya also assessed whether cannabidiol (CBD) affects brain function, since this cannabinoid has been reported to be anxiolytic and neuroprotective, and might even counteract the negative effects of THC. In contrast to the latter, CBD did not induce psychosis, anxiety, or psychomotor symptoms and showed very different effects on brain activation during task performance. It induced opposite effects to THC in a number of regions, including the ventral striatum. Finally, he presented preliminary data from healthy subjects co-administered THC and CBD. Intriguingly, he reported that, so far, CBD has blocked all the psychotic symptoms induced by THC, although stressed that these results must be replicated in a larger cohort.

CBD’s anti-THC properties are in keeping with other observations. Paul Allen pointed out that cannabis has mixed effects on anxiety (it is generally considered to increase it but it can also act as an anxiolytic), which may result from differences in the relative amounts of the different cannabinoid compounds. He described studies examining the effects of THC and CBD on emotional processing. He examined the differential effects of these two compounds on brain activation and the skin conductance response (SCR) during exposure to faces expressing mild or intense fear. Consistent with his hypothesis, he found that THC increased anxiety, as well as sedation and intoxication, whilst CBD did not. Furthermore, CBD attenuated the SCR associated with processing of fearful faces, compared with placebo, while THC increased it, consistent with the respective anxiolytic and anxiogenic effects of these compounds. CBD also attenuated the activation of the amygdala and anterior and posterior cingulate cortices induced by viewing intensely fearful faces. Significantly, the effect of CBD on activation of the anterior cingulate and amygdala correlated with the SCR during fearful face processing, consistent with evidence that amygdala activity modulates the SCR. Furthermore, he presented connectivity analyses which suggested that CBD (but not THC) disrupts the normal coupling of the anterior cingulate to the amygdala during fearful face processing. These effects of CBD on brain activation were markedly different from those of THC, which reduced inferior frontal activation but increased parietal activation. Thus, THC and CBD showed distinct effects on the processing of fearful faces: CBD reduced amygdala and cingulate activation and the associated SCR, while THC increased anxiety and the SCR, and modulated frontal and parietal regions, perhaps consistent with its more widespread detrimental effects on psychosis and cognitive function.

James Stone attempted to clarify conflicting data on whether cannabis use can increase risk for conversion to psychosis in populations already at greater risk for developing a psychotic disorder. He presented data, retrospectively collected, on cannabis use in an At Risk Mental State (ARMS) population. Although cannabis use was not associated with current symptoms, there was a trend for increased transition to psychosis in regular cannabis users, and this reached significance in those who reported regular use of cannabis before the age of 15. Therefore, regular, early cannabis use may increase the risk of transitioning to psychosis in ARMS populations. Stone also demonstrated an association between lifetime cannabis use and measures of hippocampal glutamate and glutamine, determined using magnetic resonance spectroscopy, in ARMS individuals, and with prefrontal and precuneus gray matter volume in both ARMS and control individuals, suggesting that cannabis may alter brain structure. Taken together, these data support the hypothesis that regular, early cannabis use can increase the risk of transitioning to psychosis in ARMS individuals, and that cannabis might impact on brain structure, both in ARMS individuals and controls.

Finally, José Alexandre Crippa reviewed his group’s research into the effects of CBD in human volunteers, and its potential as a novel antipsychotic and anti-anxiety compound. Using SPECT imaging to measure regional cerebral blood flow, his group found that CBD increased resting activation of the parahippocampal gyrus, but decreased activation of the posterior cingulate, hippocampus, and hypothalamus. He posited that these changes in activation might underlie the anxiolytic effects of CBD that were seen in these individuals. He then explored the hypothesis that CBD might be effective as an antipsychotic drug, since its administration was previously shown to reduce the dissociative effects of ketamine, a compound which can induce psychotic symptoms, in healthy volunteers. His initial open-label trials administering CBD to four patients with schizophrenia proved promising. However, a second trial showed little or no effect in three treatment-resistant cases. CBD was well tolerated in all cases, suggesting that it might be a viable therapeutic target for schizophrenia, but not in treatment-resistant patients. Furthermore, he also presented encouraging data suggesting that CBD might ameliorate psychosis in Parkinson’s disease: CBD administration resulted in a significant decrease in psychotic symptoms in six patients with Parkinson’s disease after one month of treatment in a small open-label trial. These results for psychotic symptoms contrast with those he obtained in two patients with bipolar disorder, in whom CBD administration had no effect on mania. Overall, his data suggest that CBD is well tolerated and might be of use as an antipsychotic compound in certain patient groups.

Taken together, the presentations in this session highlighted the complex neurochemistry of cannabis. The findings presented support the hypothesis that THC is generally detrimental to brain function and is responsible for the psychotic symptoms associated with cannabis use, and that CBD might be protective against some of the negative effects of THC. The speakers showed that CBD appears to have anxiolytic properties in its own right and may even be of benefit as an antipsychotic agent. Given the steady rise of THC content in cannabis, understanding the biology of cannabinoid compounds is likely to be of increasing relevance to the field of schizophrenia research.—Elizabeth Tunbridge.

Comments on News and Primary Papers

Comment by: Suzanne King
    Submitted 25 May 2009 Posted 27 May 2009

Great summary!

The effects of cannabis on psychotic symptoms may be especially great in COMT Val allele carriers. Caspi's data (Caspi et al., 2005) suggested this in his birth cohort study which found that cannabis use predicted schizophreniform disorder (n = 28) but only in subjects with the Val allele.

We reported similar findings at ICOSR (Massé et al., 2009): we found a significant interaction between the estimated amount of premorbid cannabis use and COMT in discriminating between 72 schizophrenia patients and 63 community controls. We also found that, only in Val allele carriers, greater cannabis use explained significant variance in the severity of psychotic (or psychotic-like) symptoms in both patients and controls.

We welcome continued research into Gene-by-Cannabis interactions or correlations, as well as other GxG or ExE associations in psychosis.

References:

Caspi A, Moffitt TE, Cannon M, McClay J, Murray R, Harrington H, Taylor A, Arseneault L, Williams B, Braithwaite A, Poulton R, Craig IW. Moderation of the effect of adolescent-onset cannabis use on adult psychosis by a functional polymorphism in the catechol-O-methyltransferase gene: longitudinal evidence of a gene X environment interaction. Biol Psychiatry . 2005 May 15 ; 57(10):1117-27. Abstract

Massé, M., Liu, A., Joober, R. & King, S. (2009) More Premorbid Cannabis Use with the Val Allele of the Catechol-O-Methyltransferase Gene Associated with Increased Risk for Schizophrenia. International Congress on Schizophrenia Research, San Diego, March 28 – April 1, 2009. Published in Schizophrenia Research, 35: Supplement 1, page 78.

View all comments by Suzanne King

Submit a Comment on this News Article

Make a comment on this news article.

If you already are a member, please login.
    Not sure if you are a member? Search our member database.

*First Name
    *Last Name
    Affiliation
    Country or Territory USACanadaAfghanistanAlbaniaAlgeriaAmerican SamoaAndorraAngolaAnguillaAntarcticaAntigua and BarbudaArgentinaArmeniaArubaAustraliaAustriaAzerbaijanBahamasBahrainBangladeshBarbadosBelarusBelgiumBelizeBeninBermudaBhutanBoliviaBosnia and HerzegovinaBotswanaBouvet IslandBrazilBritish Indian Ocean TerritoryBritish Virgin IslandsBruneiBulgariaBurkina FasoBurmaBurundiCambodiaCameroonCanadaCape VerdeCayman IslandsCentral African RepublicChadChileChinaChristmas IslandCocos IslandsColombiaComorosCongoCook IslandsCorte d'lvoire (formerly Ivory Coast)Costa RicaCroatiaCubaCyprusCzech RepublicDenmarkDjiboutiDominicaDominican RepublicEast TimorEcuadorEgyptEl SalvadorEquatorial GuineaEritreaEstoniaEthiopiaFalkland IslandsFaroe IslandsFijiFinlandFranceFrench GuianaFrench PolynesiaFrench Southern TerritoriesGabonGambiaGeorgiaGermanyGhanaGibraltarGreeceGreenlandGrenadaGuadeloupeGuamGuatemalaGuineaGuinea-BissauGuyanaHaitiHeard and McDonald IslandsHondurasHong KongHungaryIcelandIndiaIndonesiaIranIraqIrelandIsraelItalyIvory Coast (now known as Corte d'lvoire)JamaicaJapanJordanKazakhstanKenyaKiribatiKorea, NorthKorea, SouthKuwaitKyrgyzstanLaosLatviaLebanonLesothoLiberiaLibyaLiechtensteinLithuaniaLuxembourgMacauMacedonia ( Former Yugoslav Republic of)MadagascarMalawiMalaysiaMaldivesMaliMaltaMarshall IslandsMartiniqueMauritaniaMauritiusMayotteMexicoMicronesia ( Federated States of)MoldovaMonacoMongoliaMontserratMoroccoMozambiqueMyanmarNamibiaNauruNepalNetherlandsNetherlands AntillesNew CaledoniaNew ZealandNicaraguaNigerNigeriaNiueNorfolk IslandNorthern Mariana IslandsNorwayOmanPakistanPalauPanamaPapua New GuineaParaguayPeruPhilippinesPitcairn IslandPolandPortugalPuerto RicoQatarReunionRomaniaRussiaRwandaS. Georgia and S. Sandwich Isls.Saint Kitts & NevisSaint LuciaSaint Vincent and The GrenadinesSamoaSan MarinoSao Tome and PrincipeSaudi ArabiaSenegalSeychellesSierra LeoneSingaporeSlovakiaSloveniaSomaliaSouth AfricaSpainSri LankaSt. HelenaSt. Pierre and MiquelonSudanSurinameSvalbard and Jan Mayen IslandsSwazilandSwedenSwitzerlandSyriaTaiwanTajikistanTanzaniaThailandTogoTokelauTongaTrinidad and TobagoTunisiaTurkeyTurkmenistanTurks and Caicos IslandsTuvaluU.S. Minor Outlying IslandsU.S.A.UgandaUkraineUnited Arab EmiratesUnited KingdomUruguayUzbekistanVanuatuVatican CityVenezuelaVietnamVirgin IslandsWallis and Futuna IslandsWestern SaharaYemenYugoslavia (Former)ZaireZambiaZimbabwe
    *Login Email Address
    *Confirm Email Address
    *Password
    *Confirm Password
    Remember my Login and Password?
    Get SRF newsletter with recent commentary?

Enter the code as it is shown below:
    This code helps prevent automated registrations.

Comment:

(If coauthors exist for this comment, please enter their names and email addresses at the end of the comment.)

References:

SRF News
    SRF Comments
    Text Size
    Reset Text Size
    Email this page

Collaborators

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭wudangclan

this just in

http://www.cbc.ca/health/story/2009/09/02/cannabis-schizophrenia.html

it's like quantum mechanics,you see what you wanna see.

ScumLord wrote: »

Now we are getting somewhere, so you believe cannabis use is proven to be a contributary factor in shizophrenia and depression.

What I want to know is how do we tell who is predisposed to these illnesses before they reach 15 and how do we stop them getting there hands on marajuana?
    Legalising cannabis will make it as freely available as alcohol (another dangerous drug) and therefore increasing the chances of otherwise healthy(only predisposed) young people.

The limited amount of studies on cannabis use have shown/correllated/proven this so whats to say there are not more side effects.

Now we are getting somewhere, so you believe cannabis use is proven to be a contributary factor in shizophrenia and depression.

What I want to know is how do we tell who is predisposed to these illnesses before they reach 15 and how do we stop them getting there hands on marajuana?
    Legalising cannabis will make it as freely available as alcohol (another dangerous drug) and therefore increasing the chances of otherwise healthy(only predisposed) young people.

The limited amount of studies on cannabis use have shown/correllated/proven this so whats to say there are not more side effects.
    I don't know where everyone gets this idea that there's a limited amount of research on Cannabis. Every country in the world has been breaking down cannabis to try and take out the high out for medical use (I think that's their biggest problem the high is a major part of it's beneficial quality's). There is medical grade cannabis based treatments available now (on oral spray) that have proved highly successful but can't be given to patients due to cannabises legal status. We know a whole lot about the drug, just because the science now shows that cannabis isn't nearly as dangerous as they'd like it to be the anit-cannabis crowd seem to want to brush it's legalisation aside by saying we don't know enough about it.

I also don't think cannabis causes depression, this is another myth. It had the exact opposite effect on me, I was depressed and suicidal until I started smoking cannabis. It changed my whole perception of life and my place in the world. It improved my quality of life immeasurably and that's why I'll always fight in it's corner.

I also don't see why cannabis should be sold like alcohol, there's many ways of selling it and an age restriction is an obvious no brainier. Kids will always find a way to break the rules but we can make it allot more difficult for them than it is now through legalisation.

So are you telling me that a correlation proves nothing, because thats how I would argue the point if I was trying to defend cannabis... It doesnt make it right...
    Life is quite simple, if you carry out any series of actions
    For example

1 being walk to the door
    2 open the door
    4 throw a stone through your neighbours window
    6 go into a shop
    8 get a punch of your neighbour
    9 fall down bleeding
    10 get up

If this series of events is carried out ten times and the series is the same then you have a platform

Now repeat it but change number 4 to smile at your neighbour

1 being walk to the door
    2 open the door
    4 smile at your neighbour
    6 go into a shop
    8 your neighbour smiles at you
    9 go back into your house
    10 relax and have a dooby

This surely shows a correlation between smashing your neighbours windows and getting a slap in the mouth and if you have any common sense you realise it is a fact, even though you might only call it a correlation

This sounded better in my head but anyway I hope you get the jist of it
    I do. You're making an appeal to ridicule to make my skepticism over the conclusions of these studies seem absurd. Did you know that an incredible amount of schizophrenics smoke cigarettes - estimates are as high as 88% - and most of them start before the onset of their illness? If you to continue employing the same logic as you have been doing you'll deduce that cigarettes are proven to significantly increase the risk of developing schizophrenia.

I don't have time at the moment but I will look into the study you've posted; it seems at least partially interesting as it's an interventional study rather than the usual observational ones.
    hown/correllated/proven

Again, not the same thing.

Regardless the dangers associated with cannabis are minute possibilities where as the dangers associated with prohibition are immense and world wide, we've created a level of crime not seen since the days of genghis khan, not since then have criminals been so well funded and violent .

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭MmmmmCheese

Don't really know about the effects this would have on peoples health. I'm no stranger to smoking cannabis, have done so on occasion for bout 4 years now. The thing is if i smoke the same amount as my friends i get sick, and i mean really sick, as in fainting and throwing up. So i can only smoke small amounts at a time. I don't know if this happens to other people but its like getting a whitener every time i smoke it.

Of course it could be argued that alcohol makes you sick too but hey I'm just putting it out there. :o

• Advertisement

Don't really know about the effects this would have on peoples health. I'm no stranger to smoking cannabis, have done so on occasion for bout 4 years now. The thing is if i smoke the same amount as my friends i get sick, and i mean really sick, as in fainting and throwing up. So i can only smoke small amounts at a time. I don't know if this happens to other people but its like getting a whitener every time i smoke it.

Of course it could be argued that alcohol makes you sick too but hey I'm just putting it out there. :o
    So don't smoke it? It affects different people different ways. I tried Salvia and while it was a a great experience and I'm going to try it again just because the last time was a complete shock and I want to see if I can control it, it's not a drug I want to do because it's not particularly enjoyable just like ecstasy and even MDMA became a drug I no longer want to do because..... I don't know for sure why I don't want to do MDMA any more I just don't for some reason.

Advertisement