Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

From an Oil Rig Worker

Options
  • 10-09-2009 11:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭

Its about the UK but could apply anywhere. What do you think ?

The Urine test

(This was written by a rig worker in the North Sea - What he says makes a lot of sense!)

I work, they pay me. I pay my taxes and the government distributes my taxes as it sees fit. In order to earn that pay cheque, I work on a rig for a drilling contractor. I am required to pass a random urine test for drugs and alcohol, with which I have no problem.

What I do have a problem with is the distribution of my taxes to people who don't have to pass a urine test. Shouldn't one have to pass a urine test to get a benefits cheque because I have to pass one to earn it for them?

Please understand that I have no problem with helping people get back on their feet. I do on the other hand have a problem with helping someone sit on their arse drinking beer and smoking dope.

Could you imagine how much money the government would save if people had to pass a urine test to get a benefit cheque?

Please pass this along if you agree or simply delete it if you don't.

Hope you will pass it along though, because something has to change in the UK , and soon!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭cavedave

If you follow the logic wouldn't that mean if you fail a urine test that you don't have to pay taxes?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭colrow

lol The point is the bloke would lose his job, and then the ability to pay taxes, would be gone too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭cavedave

So how about all the people who make their living due to drugs? Music industry people , the beatles were so high they let Ringo sing a few songs. Garda, the guy you invented PCR says he could not have done it without LSD. Bankers who Ritalin up to run pensions schemes, mind you look at how well that went. Programmers you caffeine up to code, caffiene is tested for by the IOC.

Are you willing to give up all the tax revenue (or even just fire) of these people who would fail a drugs test or profit from those that would?

Yeah, sack em all, and introduce drug testing for benefit payments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

lol its obviously a rant and won't happen.

Who cares if some guy on benefit smokes a joint or gets drunk?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

colrow wrote: »
    Please pass this along if you agree or simply delete it if you don't.

We really need a delete button around here.

I work in the oil industry, and recieved this from a colleague, and if you fail a random drug test, you are NRB'd Not Required Back, and led off the site straight away, and you'll lose your safety tickets and won't work in the industry again.

I thought the guy made a perfectly salient point, if you don't take drugs its an inconvenience, if you do and get caught you have to face the consequences.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Advertisement