Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

has anyone heard about this??

Options
  • 10-09-2009 11:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭

Don't think this has been posted.

A wolf from Alaska is on the loose after going missing in the Aughnacloy area of County Tyrone a week ago.
    Police have advised the public to stay away from the animal, which is described as being grey and white in colour with blue eyes.
    Its owner contacted the police last Wednesday to tell them the wolf was missing. It is not known if the owner had a licence.
    The USPCA said the "only danger" to the public was if the wolf was "cornered".
    "It would be an animal not to be approached, but it is unlikely the public will come upon it as wolves are secretive by nature," David Wilson of the USPCA said.
    "The only danger is if it is cornered and has no means of escape.
    "It wouldn't seek human company.
    "They are pack animals and there is normally more than one."
    Wolves come under the Dangerous Wild Animals Order (Northern Ireland) 2004, with the Department of Environment (DoE) responsible for licensing.
    o.gif

A spokeswoman for the department said they were currently investigating the matter of the wolf "at large in County Tyrone".
    Professor Ian Montgomery of Queen's University's School of Biological Sciences said there were "no circumstances" in which the public should be licensed to keep animals like wolves as pets.
    "They should be discouraged from doing that," he said. "There should be no keeping of exotic large animals like this.
    "They are not in a position to keep these animals from a welfare and conservation viewpoint.
    "They (the wolves) range over hundreds of kilometres and you can't do that in your back garden."
    Safety
    A spokeswoman for the DoE said the keeping of wolves "in captivity" was "permitted throughout the UK under licence".
    "The Northern Ireland Environment Agency (NIEA) have responsibility for the implementation of the DWA Order in Northern Ireland," she added.
    "The legislation was introduced primarily to address concerns about public safety."
    She said the department's guidelines for keeping wolves in captivity involved veterinary experts and there were annual inspections of "licensed keepers" to ensure the animals "are kept under adequate conditions".
    A spokesman for the Police Service of Northern Ireland said: "As with any wild animal, police advise that the wolf, if seen, should not be approached.
    "Its location should be reported immediately to police."

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

All that made me think of is 'Wolf Dogs' :D

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Morganna

gosh hope they dont shoot it

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭joyce2009

what muppet had a wolf as a pet,,, well the type of one that is stupid enough to let it escape i suppose...I feel for the poor wolf and hope that it is captured safley for his sake and everyone elses,, Although what they can do with it then i dont know,who would be able to look after it properly it's just crazy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭dee o gee

Hmm wonder why they were keeping a wolf in the first place, hope it wasn't for breeding.:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭FAYESY

I really hope the wolf is not shot! Poor thing must be so scared. I hope it is found & that the owners have a proper enclosure for the animal.

• Advertisement
Advertisement