Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Registering the birth/ baby's Nationality

• 10-09-2009 12:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭

Just a couple of questions about registering baby's birth & baby's Nationality.

I understand that the birth (In Dublin) must be registered within three months, (but I just wanted clarification on this matter), also > in the case of one parent not being Irish, is there a section on the baby's registration form for 'dual nationality'? (example; Mum Irish/ Dad Spanish).

Baby will then be entiled to two passports for life, right?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭deep1

Camelot wrote: »
    Just a couple of questions about registering baby's birth & baby's Nationality.

I understand that the birth (In Dublin) must be registered within three months, (but I just wanted clarification on this matter), also > in the case of one parent not being Irish, is there a section on the baby's registration form for 'dual nationality'? (example; Mum Irish/ Dad Spanish).

Baby will then be entiled to two passports for life, right?

On the Birth cert itself both nationality will be written but dual nationality, entierly depends upon Irish/Spanish embassy, you will need your birth cert to prove your nationality, and it all depends if both county supports dual nationality?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

In our case (Irish/ Swiss/ US nationality for the babies), the Irish cert doesn't mention the other two nationalities. We had to register them separately with the respective embassies, and in the case of the US embassy, even go in for an "interview", and got a special US consular birthcert.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

deep1 wrote: »
    On the Birth cert itself both nationality will be written but dual nationality, entierly depends upon Irish/Spanish embassy, you will need your birth cert to prove your nationality, and it all depends if both county supports dual nationality?

Spain allows for dual nationality I know anyway.

For example Germany doesn't!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭deep1

enda1 wrote: »
    Spain allows for dual nationality I know anyway.

For example Germany doesn't!

Cheers, was reading somewhere few weeks back that for some reason spain doesn't allow dual nationality with Uk,
    i could be wrong though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

You need to contact the spanish embassy to register the birth as a foreign birth.

If its anything like the Irish FBR you will need every living and dead document imaginable.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Of course, the 'Spanish' dad was only an example, so I gather then that it varies greatly from one nationality to another, maybe a UK/Irish nationality for baby might be much easier?

Camelot wrote: »
    Of course, the 'Spanish' dad was only an example, so I gather then that it varies greatly from one nationality to another, maybe a UK/Irish nationality for baby might be much easier?

Contact whatever embassy is relevant to the application.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Many thanks to all contributors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭gzoladz

I could be wrong but I dont think the irish birth certificate means the baby is irish. Afaik, all the babies born in Ireland get the irish birth certificate but that doesnt mean they are actually irish as they may not entitled to be so.

In our case we are both non irish nationals. We have to collect the irish birth certificate in 10 days and then decide the nationality of the baby (who is entitled to be irish due to the time we have been living here). If we decide to give her the irish one, then there is another process to follow which is basically going to the local Garda Station with baby, parents and specific documentation and complete a form, etc. If we give her our own, then we need to follow a different process dictated by the regulations of our own country.

We can also give her both and follow the two processes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭RealistSpy

Any children born in Ireland are Irish regardless the Nationality of the parent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭gzoladz

RealistSpy wrote: »
    Any children born in Ireland are Irish regardless the Nationality of the parent.

Not anymore since 2005.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/moving-country/irish-citizenship/irish_citizenship_through_birth_or_descent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭RealistSpy

Oh I didn't realise things have changed. When my kid was born last year I was told he is an Irish citizen and we even got him and Irish passport. Me and my partner couldn't agree on what nationality, we both non-irish.

Thanks gzolads for the link

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 ciera

That's right the child gets the nationality of the parent if one is Irish then the child is entitled to Irish citizenship, or if the parents have been legally resident in Ireland for more than 3 or is it 5 years!

I think one of the few countries that give citizenship solely based on birth is the United States.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭Neverwhere

speaking of the US.

I have dual citizenship. My father is italian american and my mother irish. I was born in the states, and we moved here when I was a child. I received my Irish citizenship when I was 11 or 12 (I was entitled to it through my mother). I've lived here ever since, and was told that as soon as I have the baby I should go down to the Us embassy and register the child as a foreign birth.

I know that was still doable 5 years ago, does anyone know if the laws on that have changed since?

Neverwhere wrote: »
    speaking of the US.

I have dual citizenship. My father is italian american and my mother irish. I was born in the states, and we moved here when I was a child. I received my Irish citizenship when I was 11 or 12 (I was entitled to it through my mother). I've lived here ever since, and was told that as soon as I have the baby I should go down to the Us embassy and register the child as a foreign birth.

I know that was still doable 5 years ago, does anyone know if the laws on that have changed since?

No it hasnt changed. It's a huge pain in the ass though. Bring EVERY DOCUMENT imaginable first. The child's father has to go down with you also.

What if you had an immaculate conception? Ok ok....just a sperm donor.

Right, so im not bitter. But seriously, what if the sperm donor isn't available to be there? ever?

Neverwhere wrote: »
    What if you had an immaculate conception? Ok ok....just a sperm donor.

Right, so im not bitter. But seriously, what if the sperm donor isn't available to be there? ever?

You may still have a problem. Is his name on the birthcert? If so you will definitely have a problem. If not, then sign an affadavit of sole guardianship [not even sure if the Americans will recognise this] along with the birthcert.

If this doesnt work you may have to get some kind of court order. ALso, try to talk to the higher up in there who deals with this, much more reasonable than the gate keeper who is in there, [who is not even American btw!]

This is one of the reasons I had my child in the US, so I wouldn't have to deal with this crap. Much easier for me to get him the Irish as his dual citizenship.

ugh i know they are so frustrating! and i agree, it may seem petty but i just get so mad when I have someone who isn't even american making things hard for me.

Thanks so much for the advice, that's really going to save me a lot of time come march!

Advertisement