Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Powell in line for Ireland call up?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Mr Maroon

Unless I'm missing something, Trap didn't actually mention Oman. He said "to players", I assume that means Powell and Murphy. For some reason the article mentions Oman at the end though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Powell isn't good enough, nowhere near imo. Gets caught out way too much. Take that home game against CanARedBull FC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭ANTIFA!

I like him going forward though and he's still young. Unfortunately with the way our finances are and most of the other teams in the League the standard is gonna drop in coming years so if you are a young promising player like Powell you're gonna have to move abroad to improve.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Powell has been one of our best players this season, has really impressed me. But I don't think he's good enough defensivly yet. If he improves this part of his game though I see great things for him.

The Oman thing is just silly though. Shelley has been a rock.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Roaster

Powell has been one of our best players this season, has really impressed me. But I don't think he's good enough defensivly yet. If he improves this part of his game though I see great things for him.

He's still a better option than Kilbane in my view and Eddie Nolan for that matter. He was atrocious on Tuesday night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

sounds like a media stunt to me

Well i'm not expecting a Bohs or any other LOI player to show up in any of Traps squads soon but it shows that the LOI is in Traps mind.

bullvine wrote: »
    sounds like a media stunt to me

Even if it is, it's still good publicity for LOI and Bohs for that matter :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Powell was very good going forward during the Salzburg game in Dublin. But he tired badly in the last 25 minutes and they badly exposed him down that flank as they piled on pressure in the second half. He has a lot of work to do before you'd be comfortable with him at International level.

Yeah he's too weak in defence imo and I don't think he would offer enough in attack to compensate for this. Interesting player for Trap to take a liking to tho.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭A_Fitz

Surely our best bet is to play either Finnan or JOS at left back?? Not ideal, granted, but probably our best bet, no??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Roaster wrote: »
    He's still a better option than Kilbane in my view and Eddie Nolan for that matter. He was atrocious on Tuesday night.

:eek:

At least kilbane is a proven player in a top european league

If we get france in the playoffs who would you prefer to see marking someone like ribery? I know who I'd pick, and he's on a long streak of caps for Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭A_Fitz

Roaster wrote: »
    He was atrocious on Tuesday night.

+1

****ing abysmal

Max Power1 wrote: »
    :eek:

At least kilbane is a proven player in a top european league

If we get france in the playoffs who would you prefer to see marking someone like ribery? I know who I'd pick, and he's on a long streak of caps for Ireland

Seriously have you watched Kilbane this qualifying campaign (especially against Bulgaria). Don't get me wrong I'm not slagging Kilbane here. I think he's been one of our most loyal and honest players in the last decade but the truth is he hasn't got it anymore.

How has Delaney's stock gone down so much? Did Traps not play him in a host of friendlies and then he doesn't even get a look in???

I rather see Duff or Hunt at left back, than a league of ireland left back in fairness

I rather see Duff or Hunt at left back, than a league of ireland left back in fairness

That's a silly comment!

why?

It's a stupid statment because I watch Powell play every week and I see Duff and Hunt play every week too (albeit on the box) and there is no way either Duff or Hunt is a better left full than Powell. Sure Duff can't even play outside left anymore...

Is it so difficult to imagine a left midfielder playing left back, I mean really its not like hes been asked to play center half. How can that be a stupid statement. It happens all the time. Think about it, how many player use to be wingers at one stage.

I'd like nothing more to see lads from the Irish League moving on and doing well for themselves and playing for Ireland but seriously, in the last 10 years, how many have done it, Kevin Doyle, Keith Fahey..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

Is it so difficult to imagine a left midfielder playing left back, I mean really its not like hes been asked to play center half. How can that be a stupid statement. It happens all the time. Think about it, how many player use to be wingers at one stage.

I'd like nothing more to see lads from the Irish League moving on and doing well for themselves and playing for Ireland but seriously, in the last 10 years, how many have done it, Kevin Doyle, Keith Fahey..

Depends how you define "done it"

You have Keith Fahey in your definition yet he hasn't even been outside Ireland for a year yet

• Advertisement

true, maybe a little generous with him, he hasnt really done it but he is playing for brum now consistenly, I couldnt think of anyone else.

You miss my point really , Fahey has only been gone since January so IMO his ability is not much better than it was when he was with Pats , yet in your eyes he had "made it" and is probably viewed as being a far superior player now.

Many midfielders even forwards have reverted to defence and done a bloody good job at it, sure look at Stephen Ward but my point is that I don't think that Messrs Duff or Hunt would do a better job than Powell and just because they play in the premiership doesn't automatically means that they can.

Gustavo I totally agree with you, he hasnt made it. What I meant was he came from LOI and played in the prem league that is all.

Gustavo I totally agree with you, he hasnt made it. What I meant was he came from LOI and played in the prem league that is all.
    What's your definition of "made it" then ?

This is the kind of comment is why football here wil always struggle.

Lets get it straight, for a country of Irelands size its not uncommon to call up players playing in their home League.

Hungary who are having a very good campaign have 4 players from their League Champions Debrecen. The Hungarian League is ranked below the League of Ireland.

Seriously don't comment on players you know nothing about. If you actually bothered go to matches then I would accept your comment as an opinion but by the sounds of it yours is based on ignorance and a brainwashed opinion of the LOI.

Making a career for your self from football at a top level!

Of course I know nothing of this guy, all I'm saying is that I'd rather a proven premiership player from left wing/midfield play left back for ireland than a left back from LOI. Is that so difficult to understand.

Do you think the LOI is stronger than the Hungarian League? Even If UEFA have rated is this way. I would be very surprised.

Of course I know nothing of this guy, all I'm saying is that I'd rather a proven premiership player from left wing/midfield play left back for ireland than a left back from LOI. Is that so difficult to understand.

Do you think the LOI is stronger than the Hungarian League? Even If UEFA have rated is this way. I would be very surprised.

I don't mean to be rude but there's a shocking level of ignorance in that post.

• Advertisement

Making a career for your self from football at a top level!
    In that case Ireland have capped many players over the years who by your definition haven't made it at all

Oh why if it was as good as the Hungarian League you'd bother actually supporting a team in it? :rolleyes:

Why don't you think the LOI is stronger than Hungarian League? Why is it hard to understand for someone who probably has never stepped inside a ground before? Maby your listening to your barstool mates too much.

Your not being rude, I'm just saying. Everybody is entitled to an opinion.

gustavo wrote: »
    I don't mean to be rude but there's a shocking level of ignorance in that post.

Holy **** bullvine I was actually giving you the benefit of the doubt and thinking you knew something about LOI and just had a different opinion but you've actually now admitted that you know SFA and yet come on here and make comments of the nature above. SHOCKING!!!

ANTIFA is correct. The LOI will never have a chance when this type of thinking is out there. Just plain ignorance and yet these would be the first type of people who would object if you actually were to cheer on England in the next World Cup (assuming Irleand didn't get there). They wouldn't even see the irony.

I have been to a few games alright, just a few, I'm an Ireland fan that is all. I'm ignorant because I think a decent left back in the irish league should not get near the team, what is so wrong with that.

well we have mcgeady in the team and he's not exactly soming up against great full backs either.

• Advertisement

Calm down lads, it wasnt meant as a dig at the league or anything, honestly.

I have been to a few games alright, just a few, I'm an Ireland fan that is all. I'm ignorant because I think a decent left back in the irish league should not get near the team, what is so wrong with that.

Because you don't know what you're talking about, that's what's wrong. If you were a regular attendee at LOI games you'd know there's at least 4 or 5 players on the island that should be getting into the squad ahead of some division 1 & 2 players.

I can't believe I'm biting...

Advertisement